Jan 21, 2010, 05:48 PM
As to the sidetracking thing - exactly! For a while there Malcolm was acting as nothing more than narrator and "absurdity guage", if you will. Very refreshing to see his character and Muniz's acting talent featured for once.
Feb 25, 2010, 11:09 PM
I would be hard pressed to name a favorite episode... but the ones that come to mind:
Waterpark - I think every trademark MITM element was in play here and in perfect balance. The Malcolm/Reese rivalry, the Hal/Lois relationship, Dewey-ness, and strange elements like the hamster ball! And with the abrupt end to the babysitter (Bea Arthur) punctuating that dance to Abba's "Fernando" - wow, everything was going here!
Smunday - Lois rising from the bed like a vampire, clutching Francis' letter!!!
Reese Drives - Great lines in this episode - the police bullhorn interpretation of Lois' demands - and Reese's reaction ("That's not my mother!") and of course, the Dewey/Reese wars - ("Give them a reason! Give them a reason!")
Ida's Boyfriend - Grandma be drugging the man from China! And the Dewey/Reese wars at their best when Dewey wishes Reese away and grabs the dumpling.
Graduation - Lois' speech at the end brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't stop sobbing, especially when she talked about why Malcolm should be a great president. It was a perfect bookend to the premiere episode.
Over all the seasons, I think Reese's character had problems in Season 6 and 7. It was one thing to make him a bully/thug, then a budding chef, but then when the writers emphasized his dumbness, I think that didn't ring true to me.
Malcolm, Dewey, Francis, Hal and Lois - definitely loved the characters' evolution over the years.
And great secondary characters like Grandma Ida, Craig, Stevie, Abe and Kittie were great comic foils.
I especially loved the early seasons where Abe and Kittie were the most overprotective parents ever!
So much great writing I miss! That DVD set is sorely needed!
Jan 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
Malcolm Vs Reese
Series 2 Episode 21 where Francis sets Malcolm and Reese against each other then uses the prize they were fighting for himself. Their revenge is so so sweet. Dewey is trusted to look after Craig's cat Hal tries to help find him with simply hilarious results
Last edited by alster; Jan 16, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Reason: Missed some funny bits out
Jul 4, 2012, 08:49 AM
I have absolutely loved the series but I dont know how many would agree that after absolutely great first 2 seasons, there was a dip in 3rd and 4th a bit .. then again 5th was better and 6th and 7th (so far) have been hilarious .. Although difficult to find favorites .. I would like to mention:
1. Bots and Bees (Loved the old crazy Hal rising in absence of Louis supervision)
2. Red dress (absolutely loved the mind games between mother and sons)
3. Dinner out
4. Reese comes home (there were so many hilarious subplots in this and yes loved the last scene when Reese comes back and meets Dewey and Malcolm and well they got on with troubling the world).
And well as far as characters go all of them are just perfect .. with Reese, Dewey, Hal being my personal favorites ..
As far as Reese is concerned I think his dumbness combined with his aggression really makes for so many funny scenes .. and plays good foil for Dewey who gets his vendetta from Reese using that ...
Also Hal is simply awesome as dad with his over scared, protective behavior .. Overall really a superb show ..
Originally Posted by Movieye
Aug 20, 2012, 06:46 AM
My favourites would be (in no particular order):
Malcolm drunk was just so funny!
I love this episode, and how ironic it is that Reese figured out what Jessica was implying, whereas a genius like Malcolm took about a minute to understand! Also the dancing to ABBA was hilarious
This episode was hilarious and made me cringe so much! The two different perspectives worked brilliantly.
Company Picnic Parts 1 & 2
These eps were so funny, especially with Malcolm thinking Lauren fancied him and then having that reaction to the plant at the end
This ep made me laugh so much!
I loved Malcolm's reaction to Cynthia's er... assets! "Mommy"!!
I was in fits of giggles at this!
If Boys Were Girls
Just a really clever episode!
The family's reaction to Francis' marriage was hilarious and I loved the boys running off to the hotel!
Loved the boys' reaction to Lois' pregnancy and Malcolm hearing Hal scream in the car!
There are loads more, but I particularly loved these.
Last edited by Soniccream; Aug 20, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Aug 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
- Roller Skates. Hands down.
The first time I saw it I just couldn’t stop laughing. I laughed so hard my stomach hurt.
Followed by Malcom holds his Tongue, Bots & the Bees and Hal Quits. (I admit I like the episodes when they focus on Hal's craziness most )
Waterpark is one of my favorites too, like others mentioned; it got all the classic Malcom elements in it. Dewey’s part is also great and I love how he gets along with the babysitter.
The longer I think about it the more great episodes I remember. But for now I’ll stick with these.
Nov 4, 2012, 11:50 PM
Way to many amazing episodes to choose just one. So here is my list (not in order)
1. pilot- I always love pilots because they are where you look back when you are many episodes in
2. The Red Dress- The first time we see Lois and the boys at war
3. Lois vs. Evil- Malcolm's flirting is hilarious
4. Waterpark- There is so much change in character for this episode
5. Malcolm vs. Reese- We finally see thatFrancis treats his brothers worse than they treat Dewey
6. Evacuation- Malcolm's "first" attempt at becoming free of the the tyranic rule of Lois
7. Hal's Birthday- The relationship between Piama and Lois begins
8. Family Reunion- The last 5 minutes are just great and say a lot about the relationships in the family
9. Stupid Girl- Malcolm is just hilarious
10. Fowards Backwards- May be my favorite because of the filming perfection
11. Malcolm Holds His Tongue- His thoughts and the reactions to his silence are great
12. Vegas- The rabbit and Lois are the best to watch
13. Thanksgiving- Malcolm drunk?
14. Ida's Boyfriend- was not expecting the end
15. Billboard- Reese's dream
16. Blackout- amazing filming
17. Mono- Lois and Malcolm are unreal
18. (out of order) Halloween- The old man gets his revenge
19. A.A.- My favorite episode of Francis
20. Graduation- I can't say this is a favorite, maybe my least favorite just because it means the end. However, it ended the series by bringing it right back to the start in many ways.
Wow, I kept it down to 20, I'm sadly proud of myself Even considering I havent yet seen all of the episodes
Jun 23, 2013, 12:11 AM
My top five are
1.Red Dress(lois' mindgames andthe boys tieing Dewey to the door)
2. Pearl Harbor( the boys dancing to Abba and the familys reaction. VENDETTA!)
3.Waterpark(Malcolm pulling Reese's pants down and Reese's mouth to mouth.
4. Christmas(Francis toturing grandma Ida with the music card and her stabbing him with the nitting needle.)
5.Family Reuinion( the boys revenge at the end.)
Aug 20, 2013, 10:50 PM
Flashback for sure.
It would have made a good series finale if the show hadn't been so popular.