Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Here is a cheaper HDMI cable. There is no reason to pay anymore than basic cost for HDMI cable there is no quaility issue.

1.8M HDMI to HDMI Cable - Gold Connectors (2.50 incl del)

I guess you need the splitter to take the new HDMI cable to the HDFury and the other (current HDMI cable) to the TV.

We talk about HD but we need to be a bit more specific. If we are gunna do this lets do it in the best way possible.

Sky is broadcast in 1080i so I guess you will record at 720p?

My only concern at the moment is the HDFury conversion. You said that the pci cam method doesn't work? Are you sure?

I'm just afriad we are going to go through all the effort for HD and it will be "HD" but wont look good. As I'm typing I'm getting myself up to speed on things.

live4mitm

Just a suggestion, why not recording in 1080i, I know that the uploading time will be longer but then we don't have to record it a second time in the future when everyone has a Full HD TV. Just a suggestion.

Batch

Here is a cheaper HDMI cable. There is no reason to pay anymore than basic cost for HDMI cable there is no quaility issue.

1.8M HDMI to HDMI Cable - Gold Connectors (2.50 incl del)

Ok, thanks.

I guess you need the splitter to take the new HDMI cable to the HDFury and the other (current HDMI cable) to the TV.

Correct!

We talk about HD but we need to be a bit more specific. If we are gunna do this lets do it in the best way possible.

Sky is broadcast in 1080i so I guess you will record at 720p?

I could record in either. If I were to record 1080i, I could then de-interlace it to 1080p, though it would take some time.

My only concern at the moment is the HDFury conversion. You said that the pci cam method doesn't work? Are you sure?

It would work currently as although they have issued the new viewing cards the old ones still work. However, they could be deactivated at any time. Of course, there's nothing to say that a new CAM couln't be released which could handle the new encryption, maybe even new firmware, but i doubt it.

I'm just afriad we are going to go through all the effort for HD and it will be "HD" but wont look good. As I'm typing I'm getting myself up to speed on things.

I'll see if i can find any clips produced by the HD PVR, there were some posted in another forum i visit (avforums).

MITM_Fan

If this and donations go forward, then I hope you don't ask much may be £5 or £10 more is just stealing. Don't take this badly.

And if you could do the episodes in 720p I'd be thankful.

But not forgetting after a while those episodes which people will get thorugh donations they will then share and becomes public. It's still illegal to pay for piracy download.

live4mitm

When we can trust uk-tv-guide then there are all 7 seasons airing on Sky1 HD. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Off-Topic:
I need the MITM Font, can't find it. Don't want to open a seperate thread.

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking of setting a minimum, but no maximum. I was thinking £5/$8 or £10/$16 as the minimum.

Assuming total cost is £350

At £5/$8 it would take 70 people to donate. I just don't see that happening. However some people may donate more.

But of course only 35 at £10/$16. Still a lot of people but maybe possible.

I'd put in £50. So that would mean only 30 at £10/$16. If we are lucky people will give more than the minimum and make it possible.

Off-Topic:
I need the MITM Font, can't find it. Don't want to open a seperate thread.

Font.

MITM_Fan

I hope to hear more from this big project, I will support it, with a small ammount and uploading if needed. I can do it via HTTP (RapidShare) / BT (BitTorrent) & IRC (Send File).

I have a surprise which I will post and upload it this week.

live4mitm

I only saw seasons 2 to 4 on the search list.

Yes, because you can only look like 3 weeks in the future, but I looked in the cache from the website with google and I saw that season one was airing a few weeks/days ago, and I think seasons 5,6,7 will also air, because they also did in the past.

MalcolmFun

Im not sure what you guys are trying to do. Why are you talking about HDMI cables and the HDFURY thing? The Hauppage HD PVR takes an input of component cables and from that can record 1080i or 720P in MP4 format on your hard drive. You shouldn't have to do any kind of crazy conversion on that.

Morever the HDFURY thing seems scamish. From the FAQ is says
Without an HDMI input your display will be limited to 480p in most cases
That is FALSE. Most cable company HD set top boxes dont even use HDMI. Component works fine for HD. This is why the Hauppage HD PVR doesn't even have an HDMI input! The type of cable used is probably the least important part of this. You need a powerful computer to be able to record at HD without ever having jitter or interruptions.

Batch

When we can trust uk-tv-guide then there are all 7 seasons airing on Sky1 HD. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately although all seasons are aired on Sky1 HD, the earlier episodes are only upscaled and not natively HD :(

Im not sure what you guys are trying to do. Why are you talking about HDMI cables and the HDFURY thing? The Hauppage HD PVR takes an input of component cables and from that can record 1080i or 720P in MP4 format on your hard drive. You shouldn't have to do any kind of crazy conversion on that.

Morever the HDFURY thing seems scamish. From the FAQ is says

Quote:
Without an HDMI input your display will be limited to 480p in most cases

That is FALSE. Most cable company HD set top boxes dont even use HDMI. Component works fine for HD. This is why the Hauppage HD PVR doesn't even have an HDMI input! The type of cable used is probably the least important part of this. You need a powerful computer to be able to record at HD without ever having jitter or interruptions.

The Sky HD set top box has no component output, only HDMI which (as digital) is encrypted with HDCP, hence the need for the HD FURY.

The HD PVR would record to 1080i x264 with a .ts extension, I would then de-interlace this and convert to .mkv for ease of play.

I've got a 2.6GHz C2D, which will be fine with the encoding.

Last edited:

MITM_Fan

If only a Videoclip of 4mins in 1080i is 609MB (.ts) then I can guess surely that a complete MITM 20mins is 2.50GB , it's not much.

I don't really like interlace, I hate it cuz.. the image gets lines, so please de-interlace to 1080p (optional if

And btw, they all widescreen except season 1 to 4 (or 3) so, it will be 1980 * 1080 (16:9) / 1440 * 1080 (4:3).

My PC can't really handle 1080P process so I'm better off with 720p. Even althoug we can manually activate the filters but in my case it makes the image even slower in 1080p.

Question: My PC can't handle 1080p but do can 1080i, why is that?

live4mitm

That's sad that the first season are only upscaled, but I think all seasons are widescreen except of 1+3.

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
To clear things up.

All season are widescreen that ain't an issue.

I'm pretty certain that you can't just go from 1080i to 1080p. 1080p has a lot more data that 1080i. You would be up scaling. No broadcast/satellite/cable TV (except BBC HD) is broadcast in anything higher than 1080i, you won't find any 1080p TV downloads that didn't come ripped from Blu-ray or HDDVD or BBCHD. However once we have the all the equipment Batch can run a test and see how thngs look.

Batch - wow I'm surrpsied sky1 hd upscales but wikipedia confirm that.

To coincide with launch of Sky HD, Sky1 HD began broadcasting in May 2006. The channel is a simulcast of Sky1 and screens high-definition versions of some of the channel's programming, which include Lost, Bones, later episodes of Malcolm in the Middle, and most recently new episodes of The Simpsons. Programmes that are not available in HD are upscaled. Sky have stated that they intend to increase the amount of HD content they show, and hope that by the end of 2008, two thirds of all prime time shows, and 90% of their own original commissions, will be in HD.<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> There was also a new Sky1 HD logo which was introduced along with the rebrand on 31 August 2008 and this logo can be seen on the right.

However do we know what seasons are upscalled and which are true HD, does skyhd box say? Sky's listing on thier website call a Simpson episode from ages ago HD (way before simpsons where HD) so that has to be upscaled.

We need to know what season are going to be in HD, so that we don't say to people "donate and get all episodes in HD" and then when it comes to it we can only get 2 seasons.

Batch - You take the .ts and encode on your PC right? Cause the PVR says it can do the conversion itself but I think it would be best if we kept the raw .ts as the pure source files and then can try whatever conversions we like after, that make sense?

Meaning we could make a conversion with .mkv but then also if we wanted do a .mp4.

I'd love to see those samples if you can find them Batch.

MITM_Fan

tjpeople, dunno but QC is the answer well see this..

QC = Quality Checker

Checks that the quality is higher and compares, so that's how we'll know if it's really in HD or just an Upscale.

Normally if it's a Upscale then the quality get's fuck up (pixels).

Batch

I'm pretty certain that you can't just go from 1080i to 1080p. 1080p has a lot more data that 1080i. You would be up scaling.

Both 1080i and 1080p are 1920 x 1080 so no upscaing is required. The difference being that with 1080i, the picture alternates between two 1920 x 540 rapidly, whereas 1080p is always 1920 x 1080. The difference therefore is the framerate, with 1080p effectively 50fps and 1080i 25fps. This really only makes a difference with fast movements (e.g. Sport), on MITM the dfference should be barely noticeable.

However do we know what seasons are upscalled and which are true HD, does skyhd box say? Sky's listing on thier website call a Simpson episode from ages ago HD (way before simpsons where HD) so that has to be upscaled.

We need to know what season are going to be in HD, so that we don't say to people "donate and get all episodes in HD" and then when it comes to it we can only get 2 seasons.

Yep, although all online site don't say, the SkyHD Planner distinguishes between HD and Upsaced. I'll have to investigate.

Batch - You take the .ts and encode on your PC right? Cause the PVR says it can do the conversion itself but I think it would be best if we kept the raw .ts as the pure source files and then can try whatever conversions we like after, that make sense?

Meaning we could make a conversion with .mkv but then also if we wanted do a .mp4.

I'd love to see those samples if you can find them Batch.

The .ts at max bitrate 1080i will be encoded in X264 at 13.5mbps (2.3gb per episode) as no channels broadcast higher bitrates than this. I have dedicated software for the conversion which i'm sure will be better than that included. Makes sense to keep then as source files.

Still looking for the samples, they're somewhere in this thread

Last edited:

live4mitm

So do we only record the real HD seasons or the upscaled too? Because the other episodes you can download here are very bad quality, so maybe we could make very good SD episodes too. Or is it to much work.

MITM_Fan

So do we only record the real HD seasons or the upscaled too? Because the other episodes you can download here are very bad quality, so maybe we could make very good SD episodes too. Or is it to much work.

Well that depends, if it's a release from scene or with a proper file name then the quality isn't bad instead pretty good.

To make the quality better just activate filters/shaders.

I use CCCP + MPC, for visualization to watch Anime and etc is great!