Favorite music moments

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
One of the great things about the way MITM is shot is that they get to use music in ways that a lot of sitcoms don't. Good song choice can make a joke ten times funnier. What are some of your favorite music moments in MITM?

I think one of the best music moments was when Hal organizes the revolt at the Lucky Aide. The switching of the music from show tunes to adult contemporary, (as all the employees had unanimously decided on) as Hal leads the army with mop in hand was absolutely brilliant. I know if I ever take over a store, I'm going to have Phil Collins playing in the background. Such a wonderfully rediculous song choice.

allison

That´s a great topic, I also like the music parts a lot. Some of my favourites are

-Reese driving the driver´s ed car through the obstacle course (music: In to Deep)

- Of course the clown fight at the end of "Lois´birthday". It´s so hilarious when they´re fighting and in the background you can hear a very romantic music (You decorated my life). The great thing about the music is not only that it makes the scene funnier, but that you realize that Lois is pretty touched.

-When the boys use their slingshot to throw disgusting things on people (song: Tune in). What would that scene have been withought music?

These are only a few now, but there are just too many great music scenes to mention them all.

daniel1985

You're absolutely right, MITM is one of few shows that really makes music work to their advantage. I think this is because they use a very wide range of music, but whatever song they use, it always seems to fit with the moment.

Examples that stick out for me are: -
  1. We are the Champions (Queen) when Hal rollerskates in "Rollerskates"
  2. The Last Rock Show (Bowling for Soup) when the boys drive the golf cart into a swimming pool in "Family Reunion"
  3. The Art of Losing (American Hi-Fi) when Hal acts like a teenager at a frat party in "Stereo Store"
  4. Feel Like Making Love (Bad Company) when the family drive home at the end of "Vegas", and Malcolm is wondering what happened between his mum and Boone Vincent
  5. Marshmallow World (?) when Lois wrecks her car in "Hal's Christmas Gift"
You could go on and on, there are loads of great scenes involving music in MITM. It's one of the main things I like about the show.

arach

The episode where Hal and Craig enter a kids dance tournament - Every single song was so hilarious. :D It just fit to Hal and his weird actions. ;)

And MitM made me appreciate classical music. Like when Dewey played Claire de Lune on the piano. I listen to it every once in a while.

Emrysgirl

How about the music in the Pilot when Stevie and Malcolm humiliate Spath? It's listed as Pencil Rain in the description. I was laughing so much:D. It was very well coordinated.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
You guys came up with a bunch I love but had forgotten about!

I also love when Craig is staying with them and is making a mess of the bathroom, and is singing along to some song from a musical. What musical is that from anyway? That song is hilarious.

D

Deleted member 1693

That scene with Hal and the steamroller... I think the song was Slow Ride by Foghat... Now that was funny. And of course the classic Take a Chance on Me dancing scene.

Lozart

Who could of not listed this one?

The one in Company Picnic where Francis scores the winning goal :p

"go go gooo!"

MITM_Fan

S05E09

Henry Mancini - The Sweetheart Tree

All time classic, the best song of the serie.

I love the song and that episode is great.

twss1

The Sweetheart Tree

The Sweetheart Tree is definitely my favorite song from the show. I can't find that version anywhere...has anyone else had any luck with that?

KelEl

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "Funkytown" from Rollerskates! That's classic :D But I agree, all the songs work greatly on the show.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I don't think I've posted in this thread, but "Funkytown" is one of my favourites too. I also like "We Are The Champions" by Queen, also from that episode, and the ABBA songs.

Last edited:

KelEl

You guys came up with a bunch I love but had forgotten about!

I also love when Craig is staying with them and is making a mess of the bathroom, and is singing along to some song from a musical. What musical is that from anyway? That song is hilarious.

It's from "A Chorus Line" :)

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yes, MITM has always been great for its choice of music.

I just love Phil Collins "Sussudio" when Hal is leading the Lucky Aide store rebellion against Craig. It's such a great marching tune.

"Funkytown" by Lipps Inc. was great for the rollerskating scene.

The send-up of "Candyman" at the military academy of all places (to welcome Oliver North of all people :D) was pure genius.

Then there's always the nagging, nasal genius of They Might Be Giants doing the quite horrible but equally effective "Nice Is Good, Mean is Bad" and "Why Does The Sun Shine" (The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace....!).

The whole Dewey's Opera episode had brilliant fake operatic music.

The Sesame Street theme was great just before the air mattress exploded when Malcolm wanted to forget about his ex-girlfriend and return to childhood!

Rich

Last edited:

Ingrid

There are so much ...
But there are some of them :
-'Nice Is Good, Mean is Bad' when Lois absolutly wants to know who burned her dress ^^
-'Funky Town' & 'We are the champions' in the rollerskating scene, I love the way they dance :thumbup:
-'Fernando' from ABBA ... In the classic dancing scene with Dewey and his baby-sitter :D
-'CandyMan' when Francis & the others sing it, Spangler is dancing, it's so funny :D

They are more of course :D

Richiepiep

Administrator
Oh yes, I forgot 'Fernando' of course, from the early days of the Abba revival (I think they included that just after the stage musical had started to become a hype).

Beatrice Arthur's passing (see tribute vid on home page and all that) just reminded me how brilliant this choice was.

Rich