The OLD VC Forum ITS BACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
NOTE: This is old news - FORUM is here as you can see - and everything working great :)

And YES I am BACK! :D

I am surprised yet very pleased to see this forum is till very active only 24 members but 1,500 posts!

Now Just as a general update, we (me and david) have tried various times to try and get the old VC back but to be honest i dont have the skill and feel very defeated by it. http://www.mitmforum.tjpeople.com/

You can view old threads but its got some strange and anoying bugs, if anyone with good technical knowlegde has some idea, do say but i dont understand why it doesnt work. I think it s a MYSQL conflicts, which may be unavoidable.

I haven't tryed anything on it for a while, I may see if my host (who have been helful in the past) can make it work. Part of me wants to move on and other part doesn't want to loose 1,500 members and 18,000 posts.

Thats basically all, and I'm probs gunna be more active in here now, that should keep me focused.

If that doesnt work then we can make some moves in regard to this forum. For example we might be able to be malcolminthemiddle.co.uk from david and use it on this, drawing is a tonne of new members and others things.

Thats all for now, hope everyone is well as i havent spoken to many of your for AGES!

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Re: The OLD VC Forum : UPDATE

After alot of effort and idea, and work from people who know what they are doing (not me!) we have come to the conclusion that we are unable to restore the database properly. www.mitmforum.tjpeople.com you will find a party working site - forget about signing in, but if you want to check back at old posts/idea thought you are able too. Just dont post/try to post and don't click on user profiles.

This is the place to post now - and when we launch the new MITMVC network the forum will move but nothing will be lost.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Re: The OLD VC Forum : UPDATE

I thought that when you said "you can view old threads" that you meant all the original threads and posts, but, I can't because the subforums are empty :'(

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Yes I had basically given up on the old forum - having discovered a new system of redoing it - I thought why not one last time?

And its WORKED and as far as I can see its perfect. All posts all users etc.

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum

You should be able to log in as before and everything.

Please help me out by making sure thing do work - I'm pretty sure.

Now don't start "doing" real stuff as the next plan is to import all the posts from here into it - so we wont loose the new stuff! It may or may not work, but I think everyone would agree - if it doesn't the old forum with its 18,000 post and vBulletin software is better? correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't know about this site before but was it exactly like this before? I think there should be forums like Character Discussion etc... Alos, can someoen give me a clear idea of the ranks on these forums?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Welcome Master of Thunder. We've gone through a couple of various reincarnations but the site's always been more or less like this (although the theme has changed). We used to have a number of additional forums such as Character Discussions, but our former administrator found a study that showed having too many forums actually overwhelms people and discourages posting, so we did some compacting and found that indeed there is now a higher post rate. But not to worry: we invite you to talk about the characters or anything else inside of the Wilkerson Times. :) Have fun!

As far as ranks, those are determined by post count, although they are essentially meaningless; a higher rank doesn't give you any additional privileges. You get more privileges as your rep increases, which is below your username next to the bar that says Rep Power. When you make quality posts, other members give you positive rep that helps you work toward things like new avatars. You are also encouraged to give rep to other users.

Ryebeach

As far as ranks, those are determined by post count, although they are essentially meaningless; a higher rank doesn't give you any additional privileges. You get more privileges as your rep increases, which is below your username next to the bar that says Rep Power. When you make quality posts, other members give you positive rep that helps you work toward things like new avatars. You are also encouraged to give rep to other users.

Just a suggestion: Other than on this site, I've never encountered a Rep system before, so a refresher on the Rep system, how to use it, and the reasons behind it, may be something that you guys would want to consider posting somewhere prominent for new members to familiarize themselves with and to remind veteran members about. I know it's mentioned briefly in the Forum Rules section but it doesn't really get into details.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Just a suggestion: Other than on this site, I've never encountered a Rep system before, so a refresher on the Rep system, how to use it, and the reasons behind it, may be something that you guys would want to consider posting somewhere prominent for new members to familiarize themselves with and to remind veteran members about. I know it's mentioned briefly in the Forum Rules section but it doesn't really get into details.

Good idea I'll get onto it sometime.

Direct any further forum suggestions/questions to : Support, Suggestions and Site Development

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.