Suggestions for Activities at the MITMVC

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Yardgames and I were thinking that it would be fun to plan some activities here at the forum with the hope of sparking interest--not that the forum has been pretty active lately anyway. Also, to get new members (and old members who have been inactive) participating. Only problem is, we're not really sure what you guys would like to do. We want it to be something that everyone can take part in, which makes it difficult because everyone has different talents. Some of the things that I could come up with include:

Another art contest (banners. icons, etc.) We could also do scanned images--as in MITM related stuff you're drawn by hand and scanned or taken a photo of, for those who are really artistacally inclined. :D
A fanfic contest
A video contest

Or would you rather not do something so defined and leave it more open? Like we could do some sort of MITM web scavenger hunt or something (don't ask me how that would work yet because the idea popped into my head just this second :D ) Another suggestion--and we owe this idea to DeweyRules--is to form teams and have an official debate for favorite character, episode, etc. and people could vote in a poll for the team with who they think had the best argument.

I don't know, just throwing some ideas out here. So what do you think? If you have other ideas, we'd love to hear them! :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
All these ideas are awesome! I really like the idea of forming teams for debating, that sounds fun! :)
I wish I could scan stuff, because I got a piece of paper the other day and drew the front cover of the MITM season 1 box...and it came out really good! :) Anyways, guess Ill have to settle for the fanfic contest. :D

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Which you'd be great at :D If you live near a library, there might be a scanner there, otherwise your school should have one in the computer lab.

Debating is a great idea. The banner comps were good too.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
OK i just had a really good idea last night, albeit a little complex. However, you guys are all good at making movies. So make a new episode using clips from existing episodes. No clip shows here--those have new plots with random flashbacks to older episodes. Using entirely recycled footage, I challenge you to create a brand new episode with a completely original plot.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
That's a cool idea Sam. It would be very interesting to see someone pull that off. Almost like having a new episode. :D

I'll give you guys a few for you guys for opinions/suggestions, then I'll make a poll and you can vote on what you want to do so we can narrow it down. So far, it looks like we have interest in

the dabate idea
fanfic competition
banner/icons comptition
video competition

That is, if you guys even want to do anything. If only one or two people want to participate, none of them would be a very fair competition. :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
The ideas are getting better and better! And Sam, you have probably the best idea of all! :) I didn't even think of that, combining old clips to create a new episode! Think of the possibilities! :)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I'm glad you like it. :) If you're not familiar with video-editing, perhaps you could post a transcript for your new "episode" here and someone else could do the actual cutting. @Christina the banner competition is old news. And I still don't completley understand the debate idea--could someone explain that to me again really simply please?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Ok, here it is SLOWLY:
De-bate: The act of opposing another's views on a matter. :D
Lol, sorry. Anyways, Christina means we form "teams" like here are Reese fans and here are Malcolm fans, and those teams debate on why their favorite(Reese or Malcolm) is better than the other. Of course, it doesn't have to be characters, we can have debates on episodes, seasons, etc.
Simple enough? :D ;)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Yes, Tony's got the idea about the debate thing. The idea was orginially from DeweyRules around the beginning of summer, but it was when everyone was going on vacation so we decided to hold off on it. Perhaps if he visits again soon he can explain it a little better. I believe he also suggested for the teams to make videos and stuff like that to support their arguments.

@Sam, I realize that we've been there and done that for the banners, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done again. We've got a lot of new members since then. I personally would rather do something different though. I only included it because a certain administrator (who shall remain nameless) was unwilling to help me come up with new ideas at the time. :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Whatever stop pinning this on me Christina!!

Anyway, I now understand how the debate would work, but I still don't understand the point. How would we determine the winner?

And remember, we could all just remember to post things in the rest of the forum. :D Outside of this thread, Ben was the only person to submit anything today.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I wasn't trying to pin it on you. I was simply stating that I included things that have already been done (such as the art contest) because we couldn't come up with anything better. Hence, I created this thread for suggestions from other members.

Anyway, I guess we could have a public poll where people could vote on which team they think did the best job for the debate.

I really like the video idea, that would be fun. Just out of curiosity, if we did the video competition (or any other competition) who thinks they would actually participate?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I like the video idea too, and I would definitely be interested if we had an episode competition :) The other suggestions are great too, but I like the video competition one best. I already have a few ideas.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Im with Amigo. Every suggestion(debate is a VERY good one) are great, but the video one is just so appealing because people here can virtually create a MITM episode! We could have a season 8! :)
I get goosebumps just thinking of a season 8 of MITM! :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
We can always do both. We can do the video contest now and save the debate for later. It would be fun to do over Christmas vaction when people are out of school.

I'm all for starting the video contest, but there's really no need to if only one or two people are going to do anything. That's why I asked who thought they would actually participate. Based on the response to this thread, it seems the only people who are interested are Amigo and Tony.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I'd love to do a video, too, but only if it was a tribute video or whatever, not a new episode. I already know right now that I'm not creative enough to produce an own episode. But I'm looking forward to seeing your ideas, and maybe your videos do inspire me to make an own one.

I think the suggestion I like the most is the art contest (with banners created with the computer, of course, I suck at drawing :D ).

yardgames

Retired Administrator
@Tony you don't even have a digital camera how are you gonna edit video? :D I might see if I can pull something together if we tried that--if people don't mind me submitting something. Christina can judge. I would recommend, Christina, that you open an info thread on the topic. Heck, if only a few people do anything then only a few people do stuff. I think it would be fun to see what we can come up with. And I'm with Tony--I'd love to see some new episodes. Even if they're not actually new. :D No offense Dabney but enough tributes! Too sad. :) Let's make a fan-created eighth season.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Okay, I'm on it. If it means some new "episodes," I guess it'll be worth it even if only a few people participate. I may even see if I can come up with something for an unofficial entry if I have time. I could judge, but a member poll would be nice to do too so one person doesn't have all the say in it.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I've already made a start on one :) The big challenge will be the length - we are talking the normal 20 - 22 minutes, right?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@Sam- I know I can't create videos...which sucks.:( BUT, if anyone who IS creating a "new episode" needs my help with dialouge, I could "write an episode" or something for them.:) They just need to tell me their idea and what they want, and I can do my best to write something for them(they, of course, have to make the video from MITM clips, so that's the hard part).
Anyways, Im just offering my services if anyone needs me. :)