Our own Video Gallery, your thoughts?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
There has been interest in this for a while. But having our own video site isn't a super-easy thing to implement.

By "video site/gallery" I mean our own YouTube, where you can upload videos.

I'm thinking of using http://www.vbtube.com/forum/vBTubePRO

I'd also have to get some new hosting for it. This is useful for the fact that any video copyright issues shouldn't effect the rest of the site, also video uploading is server intensive, so if the video site slows down, it won't effect the rest of the site.

The vBTube script (software) is $129 and new hosting is around $5/month (maybe more).

This wont be for uploading episodes, this is for the various video I upload for front page posts and your fan made videos, anything MITM related that isn't full episodes.

Thoughts?

Richiepiep

Administrator
This sounds like a great idea! We now have the problem that videos are exclusively linked to the home page News sections, if I'm not mistaken, which means that they lose prominence over time.

Splitting up the server to have dedicated hosting for videos sounds like a very wise decision too, to spread the workload and the risk of takedowns.

Perhaps even more so than with the Gallery, we've seen the number of MITM-related videos and audio fragments (trailers, promotions, behind the scenes clips, interviews) on relatively stable sites decrease, because production or distribution companies, or first-time fans have lost interest, and popular video streaming sites like YouTube, Megavideo and Veoh maintain extremely strict copyright regulations.

We can't make up for all of that, but it would be awesome (and fun first and foremost) if we could work towards that goal of archiving and showing clips that (ahem) deepen our appreciation and knowledge of all things 'Malcolm' :D

Rich

AlexTheMartian

Even though episodes will not be put on it, I do not think that eliminates all copyright issues. Sometimes just hosting something as simple as footage of someone on the red carpet of an award show (for example) can cause copyright issues. If the company that films it has hold the copyright of all footage they take.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Even though episodes will not be put on it, I do not think that eliminates all copyright issues. Sometimes just hosting something as simple as footage of someone on the red carpet of an award show (for example) can cause copyright issues. If the company that films it has hold the copyright of all footage they take.

Of course, but we have been posting videos like this on the site for years, never had a copyright complaint. If it happens it happens.

Richiepiep

Administrator
As you may remember, they even claimed copyright on the logo and typeface :eek:, so they could be bothered by anything, and there's nothing really that would get us off the hook, bar limiting ourselves to text messages.

The way I see it, we as a community need to be able to share our thoughts about MITM with images and videos, because otherwise it's really no use and far from fun! Of course we could link to pictures and stuff on official sites, but time and again these would get moved and are bound to disappear after a while. We've become a sort of clearing house for MITM by now, and that's a task and a feature of this site that makes up a great deal of its appeal to both members and staff I guess.

It wouldn't harm us to include a statement like 'All images © Fox - we don't claim ownership etc.' whenever we post a copyrighted item, but if they have it in for us, it wouldn't really help I guess. Adding a video gallery wouldn't put us in a worse position.

Rich

Last edited:

MITM_Fan

tjpeople, let's see, it would be great but YouTube has hundreds of homemade mitm videos and uploadin em all to here would be quite hard.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
tjpeople, let's see, it would be great but YouTube has hundreds of homemade mitm videos and uploadin em all to here would be quite hard.

We don't expect to have every video uploaded instantly, just like our Gallery, it would always be a work in progress.

Dew_Fan

Great idea

I totally think that it is a good idea, but I do wonder about about the copyright issue. I think that if we could do something like that, the site might get more members.

Richiepiep

Administrator
It's mostly a matter of time and effort I think, and I wonder if any of us right now is willing or even able to devote a lot of time to it.

As for copyright issues, we can always use hidden links, only open to senior members I guess.

But I agree it would be a great feature. There have been a number of behind the scenes clips, blooper reels, interviews and extras (like the family therapy sessions and the series farewell with Dewey) that are no longer or hardly available. Same with some audio. It would be great to have them all in one spot.

Rich

P.S. I just noticed some have turned up again, so I'd better save them, as they might be taken down any minute.

For instance:

Great rediscovery! This was in Real Video originally!

Last edited:

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Well, as we have a video gallery over at Malcolm France, if you would like, Rich, you could send me what you have stored on your computer and I could upload them on Malcolm France. :)

We already have some stuff here.

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Well, as we have a video gallery over at Malcolm France, if you would like, Rich, you could send me what you have stored on your computer and I could upload them on Malcolm France. :)

We already have some stuff here.

Wow, Tyno, that's an offer that's damn hard to refuse! Great, thanks a lot! Sorry for the late reply, I really should check back here more often, but when I do, I concentrate on the picture Gallery, so you see. I think I'll have a little more time right now than I used to have.

Anyway, I see what I can get together and will contact you in time. I see you even do your nifty little sous-titres sometimes! C'est chouette!

Are there any format restrictions? Can you upload straight Flash, or should it be in one of the more regular digital movie formats, like mpg, mp4 or avi? I think I have some flash from earlier web downloads.

Tyno

Malcolm-France
That's cool! You can PM me when you'll have the videos sorted. :) Actually, we're working on a new version of Malcolm France at the moment so I can't promise I'll upload the videos asap, you all might have to wait - a couple of months or so - for the new version to come out with your videos.

As for the format, we can't play flash. We only use mp4 but you can send the videos in any other format (except flash) and we'll convert into the right thing.