Brides of Ida (1) Opinion and Analysis

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I had no idea I'd need to append the episode title with a 1. When does the second part air???

Anyway, I found Brides of Ida to be an excellent episode. A few brilliant twists in the Hal/Lois/Dewey plot. The Malcolm/Reese plot was predictable in that you knew Malcolm was going to win, but you didn't know he was going to go off to Vegas and get married and prompt a second ep. I'm also dying to know if Dewey managed to win the concert contest.

All told, a brilliant episode, and I'm sitting here waiting for more. I wish MITM were an hour show; it's always too short. :)

I'll have analysis coming soon, I need to process the episode a bit more. But those are my opinions.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
My damn power went out 10 mins. into the episode.:mad: :mad: :mad: So Malcolm got the girl?! Did he get married in this episode or will that happen next week?
Also, did Hal get caught in the Commodores Club?

Ears

I'm pretty sure that Dewey lost the contest to the chinese guy they were talking about...the part where Ida showed them the game was really creepy! I really like this ep a lot, I hope it shows more of Hal's story in the 2nd part, but it might be like the one (i can't remember which episode) where he tries to get that CIA type job and the building disappears, where we never find out what happened

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Just got home and watched it! It was awesome! I'm not sure how I feel about the ending yet. I need to think about it a bit longer. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow.

@Tony--sorry about your power. THat's Friday the 13th for you. :D Even though Malcolm won the contest, Reese decided he was going to marry the girl anyway and they ran off to Vegas. And yes, they actually did get married. Or so they made it seem. (I believe that Vegas marriages can be easily annuled though--let's hope!) It will be continued next week.

@Sam-I hope you don't mind, but I put this in season 7. Part II is called "College Recruiters" and it airs next week.

Ears

Actually, Malcolm technically didn't win the contest, Ida said at the start that in order to win you needed to win all 3 of the events, or else none of them would become men, so they both lost

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I hope they stay married! If this is the final season, it would be cool for it to go out with Reese happily married!

ReMoss85

I don't know how much swearing is allowed here so I will restrain myself, but stupid stupid freaking Fox Chicago had to show an hour long special about the Bears' playoff hopes at 7:00. Really, what the hell is the purpose of that? And of course, as it turns out, I missed a rather special episode, it being especially good, and it being a two-parter. And I know that we aren't supposed to talk about downloading episodes online, but everyone here seems to have them all on burned dvds somehow. Can someone maybe PM me about where I could go to find it? Tony_montana and I seem to be in the same boat. Help a couple of disgruntled Malcolm fans out. Thanks in advance.

samboo1

OMG! He got married? Nooooooo! Anyway...
Havent seen it yet, but im looking forward to it.
@Sam, ill post a pic when i have the ep later on :)

Kratos

tony_montana said:
I hope they stay married! If this is the final season, it would be cool for it to go out with Reese happily married!

lol, the wedding kiss was too tame I think to be the start of something long lasting... It might just work in other countries, but I think America is still too into the "true love" idea and a "proper" wedding *yawns* Could be wrong, after all Francis did something like it, although I think they were/are in love. Reese just picked her because he was... well stupid. :p

The bloody part was shocking :eek: other than that it was fun.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
America into "true love"? Uhh, no. Especially not in Vegas. :D Anyhow, the wedding probably isn't legal anyhow because Reese isn't 18 and I think you need parental permission to get married before you're 18. (of course, those rules might not apply in Vegas either. :D We'll just have to wait till College Recruiters to find out.)

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Great episode, I think it is my most favorite episode after Burning Man in the 7th season.
I loved the challenges Malcolm and Reese had to take, and it wasn't predictable to me that Malcolm would win the last one. I thought Reese and Ida would find a way to beat Malcolm. Well, He married that girl anyway. I'm not sure yet if I'm lucky or sad about it, but I hope they won't annul it, if they should break up at all, I would prefer a divorce.
In my opinion the Dewey part was even better. Quite amusing how Lois always hurt him. Another very funny scene was when Hal gave Dewey this "Dirk" card... :D. And yeah, Dewey was obviously beaten by this chinese kid.

The only negative thing I can mention was that Jamie wasn't involved much in the story, but I can forgive the writers for that. :D

Excellent episode, I'm really looking forward to seeing next part of it.

rzombie1988

Dabney said:
The only negative thing I can mention was that Jamie wasn't involved much in the story, but I can forgive the writers for that. :D

Excellent episode, I'm really looking forward to seeing next part of it.

Atleast Jamie was on camera, so he wasn't completely forgotten.

I liked the episode. Reese getting married almost fully worked for me, but I don't see Reese getting married for sure. Something will come up I'm sure. I would have liked to have seen Francis in this somehow. It's nice to see new episodes of MITM though, since this season is probably the last. Did anyone else notice how much older Malcolm looked? Or was it just me?

What I also want to know is, when are we going to see the second part to this? I really hope it's not in 3 weeks, because that would be just about as bad as the 1st season last episode wait to the 2nd season starting episode.

samboo1

It was a good episode. Still cant believe Reese got married!:eek: My prediction was that it would show the vicar saying 'does anyone not agree with this marriage' and then someone would burst in saying 'i do!', like they do on movies ;) Anyway...
The Hal plot- was really funny when he was in that conference! I liked his plot.
Lois and Dewey- was nice to see a plot between those two, i always feel as if Lois is closer to Malcolm and Reese for some reason.
Reese and Malcolm- Malcolm was wise trying to stop Reese but at that point i knew he was still gonna go ahead with it. I think the next episode will reveal more about the parents' reaction etc...

Overal, i liked it...8.5/10

osoq

Bests of the Episode
Best Story Line: Malcolm & Reese's Games
-The contest was very amusing and slightly unpredictable. I had a feeling Reese wouldn't win but I didn't think he'd still try and get married. I definatley wasn't expecting a TO BE CONTINUED... and that's what shocked me the most. I personally would have rather seen Dewey's contest instead of them coming back home to find Reese in Vegas and leave it as a surprise to the parents. Or even better, Dewey wins the contest and goes to a "international" contest in VEGAS and they find Reese. That would have been great.
Runner-up: Hal In The Commodore Club

Best Joke: The "Dirk" License Plate
-I LOVED this joke. Mostly because I ALWAYS see those license plates in airports and have thought "Poor kids who don't have a name on the license plate". I especially loved Hal still buying him one that said "Dirk".
Runner-up: "Remember when you came in after curfew and asked what I was going to do about it? Sorry it took so long to get back to you" -Lois, referring to Ida & Dewey, what he shouts out at his mother when she's being inspected.

Leasts
Least Favorite Part: The Blood.
-I'm not squeemish of blood or anything but it didn't seem entirely neccessary.

Biggest Dissapointment: Hal & Lois Coming Home At The End
-As mentioned in "Story Line" I would have rather seen Dewey's piano recital and find out about Reese in another way than them coming home to find him being in Vegas.

THE MUSIC
-This episode didn't have anything that stood out. No good music that caught in my head but nothing "bad", persay.

Overall Comments
-It was better than last week. Personally, I thought Malcolm's Money was more of a traditional problem for MitM but was pulled of phenomenally, Bride of Ida was a very different type of episode. Allthough the Hal plot seems like it's been done before (Just can't pin my finger on where) it was funny. The To Be Continued... wasn't anything I could get too excited about but I'm anticipating next weeks episode. (Which I learned is now Sunday @ 7) I doubt Reese is actually going to get married. Something WILL come up especially because he's Reese. It won't be too long-lasting...will it?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
samboo1 said:
It was a good episode. Still cant believe Reese got married!:eek: My prediction was that it would show the vicar saying 'does anyone not agree with this marriage' and then someone would burst in saying 'i do!', like they do on movies ;) Anyway...
The Hal plot- was really funny when he was in that conference! I liked his plot.
Lois and Dewey- was nice to see a plot between those two, i always feel as if Lois is closer to Malcolm and Reese for some reason.
Reese and Malcolm- Malcolm was wise trying to stop Reese but at that point i knew he was still gonna go ahead with it. I think the next episode will reveal more about the parents' reaction etc...

Overal, i liked it...8.5/10
Yes, Lois putting hot sauce into Dewey's eyes and pinching his fingers and everything else she did really did help her grow closer to Dewey, I'm sure. :D

samboo1

yardgames said:
Yes, Lois putting hot sauce into Dewey's eyes and pinching his fingers and everything else she did really did help her grow closer to Dewey, I'm sure. :D
Well you know what i mean!! At least they had time together ;)!

osoq said:
Correcting myself: I doubt Reese is actually going to "STAY" married
Yeah i doubt it as well.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Once again, great episode! My second favorite of the season behind “Blackout.” It’s so much fun to hate Ida and Cloris Leachman plays the part beautifully. Nice twist with Malcolm being the winner of the final challenge when it seemed as if Reese was going to dominate all of them. I’m a little upset about Reese actually getting married. Even though I’d read a few spoilers I didn’t actually think he was going to go through with it. If he stays married, it will totally change the family dynamics that we’re used to. That will likely mean that there will be few (if any) Malcolm/Reese/Dewey storylines from now on, but rather Reese/wife and Malcolm/Dewey/Hal/Lois storylines--much like what happened with Francis.

I have a hunch that this marriage isn’t going to last though for several reasons: 1. Reese has no intention of moving out/getting a place as we can gather by his comment “when we get home, I’m kicking Malcolm and Dewey out of the big bed.” 2. Lois is going to go through the roof when she finds out probably make him have it annulled or suffer some kind of terrible consequence and 3. He barely knows the girl! And as Yardgames mentioned, in the U.S. you must be 18 to get married without parental permission so it probably isn’t legal (I thought we decided that Reese was 18 though and that the comment in Health insurance was a mistake?) :confused:

I enjoyed the Hal/Lois/Dewey plot as well. I’m interested to know what Hal actually agreed to, but I don’t think we’ll ever find out. I’m a little confused as to whether Lois actually sabotaged Dewey on purpose, or if it just seemed that way. Can someone clear this up? I was also hoping that we’d get to see Dewey actually perform. Overall, great episode! I give it 9/10! :D