Destiny and all that stuff...

samboo1

I thought there was another thread about fate and destiny but i searched and it didnt find anything so...
Do you believe in destiny and all that stuff...like...
Luck
Soulmates
Fate
Horoscopes
special mood stones
All that type of stuff...i only believe in horoscopes out of them.....bascially coz they are always right when i read about myself. Fate and luck...i jsut think life runs it's course...regardless of fate. Mood stones...i personally love stones...i got a necklace for xmas where you can change the stone in it, according to your mood....and i love it! I dont believe it it though!
Soulmates...i think there is someone special out there for everyone but not one person! What are the chances of meeting the person perfect for you...there's gotta be more than one person.

Anyway after my rant...what about you?:)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I don't beleive in horoscopes and mood stones and stuff like that, but there might be something to fate and destiny. I always tell myself "everything happens for a reason" whenever it seems like things are going really badly. And when I look back on the situation a few months/years (or whatever) later, it seems like the thing that seemed really bad at the time was probably the best thing for me in the long run. Everything seems to have way of working out usually.

This reminds me of the movie "Final Destination" from a few years ago. Anybody see it? It's about these teens who are going to Paris on a class trip, but they end up getting thrown off the plane before takeoff for fighting. Two minutes after takeoff the plane blows up and everyone on it dies. The one's who got thrown off think they managed to avoid death, but then they all start getting killed one way or another in the very same order that they would have died on the plane. It's just a mediocre teen horror/thriller movie, but I love the concept behind it. The bottom line is that you can't cheat fate/destiny. It kinda gives me chills. :)

vinnymonster

I'm not a believer in fate or horoscopes, both of which, to me seem to point to a predetermined universe, where free will is an illusion.

Now, the predetermined universe may be the reality of it, I dont know, no one does. But it doesnt fit within my world view.

Mood stones, hmm. Maybe yes and maybe no, I suppose that has something to do with magic (which horoscopes do, actually) and magic is a tricky area to discuss.

Soulmates, yes, I definitely do. We're all connected by something, some religions think there's some form of super soul that we're all a part of.
Whatever the cause, i believe in soul mates, and their oposite (Although i dont know the name of these).

One thing about souls though, Scientists will tell you, that when they analyse all the bio chemical and electrical processes which make up a living being, they still cant explain life, not as it is. They also can't account for sentience, so it follows that there may be something else that we can't measure yet.

Besides, a universe without mystery would be a boring place to be, wouldnt it?

And yes, I am a motormouth :D

Now for my gratuitous Piama mention.

Bring Back Piama!
:D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I believe humans control their destiny. They don't have a predetermined one, and this is the thought you should have if you believe in God. The Bible says everyone is in control of themselves. You decide how you live, what you do, where you go.
As for luck, I don't really believe in that either. I personally believe alot of stuff credited to "luck" are blessing given to you from God. But that's just me:D .

admin

Retired Administrator
I think you'll find that horoscopes are generalised so that they will be correct for almost 99% of the population, you could probably read 11 out of 12 of them and they would all hold true!

Personally I don't think anything control us besides ourselves, and the laws of physics.

Soulmates/Fate are interesting but I don't really think such things exist, you only feel right about someone beacuse you've spent time to build up a friendship with them, or you both find each other attractive, in the case of a soulmates. I don't however believe we are on some kind of large video player that we cannot change the end of.

Luck, is just that, its luck - being in the right place and the right time. My tennis coach always says I'm lucky cos whenever I hit the ball into the top of the net it nearly always goes over onto his side. For most luck I believe there is a scientific reason behind it, in the case of the tennis ball, it has spin on it most of the time, and the net isn't exactly a concrete wall... :D

I might just add at the end that, everyone is entitled to their belief in these forums, please respect them and prevent yourselves from critcising or personal attacks, such threads will be closed and members may be disciplined.

vinnymonster

admin said:
I might just add at the end that, everyone is entitled to their belief in these forums, please respect them and prevent yourselves from critcising or personal attacks, such threads will be closed and members may be disciplined.

Well said!

simon_4420

I don't personally believe that the stars can predict your out come, but I'm not against people chosing to believe that the stars and planets have something to do with the out come of their day.

On the other hand I do believe in a way that we make our own destiny, and I sure as hell believe in luck! especially as I won money on the Lottery today.
For some reason I do believe in superstitions, and an quite superstitious. For instance when I go to the Golf Range, I'll never leave on a bad shot, if I have to I'll put another pound in the machine just to hit one good one and leave the rest of the balls for someone else.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I believe in horoscopes, fate, and luck on ocassion, that's it.

In my opinion, luck is for those times you screw up and don't get caught/get in troube, but that's it.

Fate is something like a predetirmened universe, which I believe in. It's just one of those wierd feelings that I get about stuff happening in order in which they must happen. I just feel that stuff happens because stuff before it happens, stuff is made, and then improved until something new is made. Just like one day we will roam the stars from one planet to another colonizing it, and then looking for the next star.

I can't explain horoscopes very well. Its just that the stars can do many things, we just don't know it yet.

vinnymonster

I don't want anyone to take this comment the wrong way, and I include myself in it.

It is amazing the things that people will believe in. I don't just mean stuff that the majority think of as crackpot rubbish, or weird, I also mean stuff like the guy living in a war torn country who'se family are all but destroyed, and yet he still manages to believe in a benevolent force in the universe.
People believe some weird, fantastic, boring, ugly and beautiful things.
And if I had the power to change it all, I wouldn't do it, because it's what makes us who we are and without our beliefs, whatever they may be, we aren't very much at all.

simon_4420

vinnymonster said:
I don't want anyone to take this comment the wrong way, and I include myself in it.

It is amazing the things that people will believe in. I don't just mean stuff that the majority think of as crackpot rubbish, or weird, I also mean stuff like the guy living in a war torn country who'se family are all but destroyed, and yet he still manages to believe in a benevolent force in the universe.
People believe some weird, fantastic, boring, ugly and beautiful things.
And if I had the power to change it all, I wouldn't do it, because it's what makes us who we are and without our beliefs, whatever they may be, we aren't very much at all.

I agree with you. I wouldn't change it either if I could, as it's not my place or anyone else place to change what people believe, even if it's totally against what we believe.

I think that people need their beliefs, like heaven makes death to some people that much easier to deal with. ( went abit morbid there, sorry)

osoq

Yes, I believe in luck, and that's pretty much it. I don't think your life is predetermineed at all. If you didn't have the oppurtunity to change a pre-destined event than what's the point?

Luck, on the other hand is different, some people get lucky, some people are not. It's like drawing the only colored rock out of a bag of white rocks. There's going to be the unlucky person that picks the colored rock (that is, persay, if the colored rock means you are to die) or if the rock is to be granted immortality than there will always be lucky people in the world.

There's no way an entire life can be predetermined right down to the very second...milli-second...trilli-second.

--Those are my two-cents on the topic.

reese35

Well, I do believe in Him, but I don't know if I'm a believer in luck or not. I don't know if everything happens by chance, risk, or whatever. I do read horoscopes, just to see. (I'm a Sagittarius, by the way). I believe that the perfect person is out there for you, no matter how hot or nice or whatever they are, whether they're in your own backyard or an ocean and 5 time zones away. All I can say is that life is a flight with Him as the pilot. You could make some good decisions or some bad decisions, but all-in-all, it's like OSOQ said, you can't decide your life right down to the very second...milli-second...trilli-second. But life has ways of working out, even when things are at their worst. There's a plan. We don't know it, but there is a plan for us. And it's like they say - carpe dium. Seize the day. Which is what I oughta do more often. Seriously, all I do is stay in and go on the computer all day. I have the next 4 years of my life to live before college. I know it's a little late for resolutions, but I'm making this one... I'm getting out more often!

reese35

Truthfully, I don't think you have to ask yourself if you've found the one you're compatible with and wanna be with. You just... know.

vinnymonster

Good points raised there, Reese, but I think at your age, its not too late for anything.

Funny thing, at 15 I felt I was so mature and adult, now I'm 42 in a handfull of weeks and I feel like a kid half the time, go figure :D

simon_4420

reese35 said:
Well, I do believe in Him, but I don't know if I'm a believer in luck or not. I don't know if everything happens by chance, risk, or whatever. I do read horoscopes, just to see. (I'm a Sagittarius, by the way). I believe that the perfect person is out there for you, no matter how hot or nice or whatever they are, whether they're in your own backyard or an ocean and 5 time zones away. All I can say is that life is a flight with Him as the pilot. You could make some good decisions or some bad decisions, but all-in-all, it's like OSOQ said, you can't decide your life right down to the very second...milli-second...trilli-second. But life has ways of working out, even when things are at their worst. There's a plan. We don't know it, but there is a plan for us. And it's like they say - carpe dium. Seize the day. Which is what I oughta do more often. Seriously, all I do is stay in and go on the computer all day. I have the next 4 years of my life to live before college. I know it's a little late for resolutions, but I'm making this one... I'm getting out more often!

You make some really good points about life, which I totally agree with:D . Made me think about how much time I spend on the computer, and I have decided that I'm not going to spend as much time on it anymore, as there is plenty of other stuff to do. This year I am going to work towards getting my teachers course in Windsurfing, so that will give me something to do, especially as there is a massive lake next to my house! I've been far to lazy this winter...

samboo1

simon_4420 said:
You make some really good points about life, which I totally agree with:D . Made me think about how much time I spend on the computer, and I have decided that I'm not going to spend as much time on it anymore,
Nice talk Mike, but your making people spend less time on the computer=less time on forums!:D

reese35

Oops. Sorry my 2 cents is motivating people so much to get off the comp. Wish you guys had a smiley for embarrassed. :p

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You know, with all your pictures of Justin in your avatar and signature, I really can't figure it out. Are you a fan of Justin? :D