Journals Info

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Re: Dewey's Diary - No Motorcycles

All right, that gives us a new use for the Metro. I have to say it was good, but it seemed more like Malcolm than Dewey. Of course, maybe I'm still stuck with the season one Dewey in my head. It was quite entertaining. I'll publish mine of Malcolm soon.

allison

I agree, it´s good. You´re right Yardgames, if this was an episode from season 1 it would seem more like Malcolm, but now I think it also could be Dewey since he has changed a lot.

Amigo22

Super Moderator

I too think it's great. It is definitely something Dewey would write. I imagined Dewey saying the words as I read them. I'm looking forward to future "Dewey's Diary" entries. :) :D :)

Last edited:

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Why don't the two of you join in and take a character for this episode? I'll have Malcolm's entry up by later today. (it's 8AM in US right now)

admin

Retired Administrator

OK, here is my first attempt at making some kind of web page, I have tried to take your ideas apannah, but not all of them are as easy to convert into websites as you may think :D

Anyway, this is just a first draft, I would put the menu at the top, this is 79KB so, assuming you make one for every episode, that is 9.4MB then 1 for each of the boys, thats 28.2MB, so as we have 500MB here I shouldnt worry in the least about filling up my server :D

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/dewey_no_motorcycles.swf

There's still a little re confirguing to do, dewey's head is a little low. The menu will go in the top left if you're wonder what the space is for.

The font is supposed to be a handwriting style font called "andy" I should auto install on your PC, but if it doesn't you may end up with a boring aerial or something...

Dewey

Minimalistic

@ Admin: That layout is really cool.

The only thing is, you mis-spelt my surname. Its Appanah. Sorry to critisise, but appart from that, I have to say, its rather impressive.

admin

Retired Administrator

appanah said:
@ Admin: That layout is really cool.

The only thing is, you mis-spelt my surname. Its Appanah. Sorry to critisise, but appart from that, I have to say, its rather impressive.
Sorry about that just noticed it, I always get confused with the number of p's and n's in it :D

Anyway, I have just updated it, you can look again if you wish, but you might find its been stored in your internet temporary files, so you'll have to delete them first...

When you have done you Malcolm, I can give it the same treatment yardgames.

As regards different paper textures, I spent ages finding that one, so Malcolm is going to get the same, but I did find a nice disgustingly messy piece of paper for Reese :D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

That's great. If Dewey were real,I think that is what he would say.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Wow, David, that is really fantastic. I especially like how it was always the size of the browser window. The title was in the handwritten font, but the actual entry was in Times New Roman, is that right? You may want to use Comic Sans MS instead, since that's a more universal font on Macs and Windows. It looks fantastic. I've been real busy today but I'll get to work on that Malcolm entry and get it uploaded here very soon.

admin

Retired Administrator

yardgames said:
Wow, David, that is really fantastic. I especially like how it was always the size of the browser window. The title was in the handwritten font, but the actual entry was in Times New Roman, is that right? You may want to use Comic Sans MS instead, since that's a more universal font on Macs and Windows. It looks fantastic. I've been real busy today but I'll get to work on that Malcolm entry and get it uploaded here very soon.
Your right, I should probably change it to a normal font, like Comic Sans MS, problem is I want it to have the "handwriting" but readable type look, and the ones Windows currently has are just pathetic. I can upload the font here, it will take you guys no more than 30 seconds to instlal on your pcs, simpply copy and paste into your fonts directory.

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: Journals - No Motorcycles

I was going to put episode pictures around the text, but I found it far to over baring, so i just settled with a character picture - hopefully similar pictures of the other cast will turn up as well. Then its just a simple case of copy and paste.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Malcolm

I always thought I was supposed to be smarter than Reese and Dewey. I mean, I'm the one with the IQ of 165, right? Turns out I was wrong this weekend, though. See, there's this kid, Randy. He's even dumber than Reese, and we all take advantage of him. This weekend, he showed up at our house, and started pacing with a baseball bat right outside our bedroom window. It was obvious he was angry at someone for some reason, but neither me, Reese, or Dewey could figure it out.

He was still outside Saturday morning, so we spent all day inside waiting for him to leave, which sucked because Francis came for his 21st birthday. Finally, Dewey got sick of waiting inside, so he went out and came back beaten up horribly. Yet it wasn't Dewey he wanted; we were told that was just a warm-up.

Later that day, Dad and Francis drove motorcycles through the house and broke the door. Mom and Piama were really angry. Mom was so angry she was actually nice to Piama! And I missed it because I was cowering from Randy.

Reese decided that was enough and went outside next; Randy beat him up also, but once again Reese wasn't the Wanted One. I thought I could easily wait it out, but Reese and Dewey pointed out all the other times I'd tried that and it didn't work, so I decided to go outside and face my fate.

Turns out my fate wasn't to be beaten up by Randy! See, he had the wrong house. But nothing in my life can go well, so of course Reese and Dewey had to beat me up. I can't wait until I don't need a straw to enjoy steak anymore.

(296 words)

yardgames

Retired Administrator

admin said:
Your right, I should probably change it to a normal font, like Comic Sans MS, problem is I want it to have the "handwriting" but readable type look, and the ones Windows currently has are just pathetic. I can upload the font here, it will take you guys no more than 30 seconds to instlal on your pcs, simpply copy and paste into your fonts directory.
That worked for me. A final suggestion, for people who don't install the Andy font, you could have the Comic Sans font be the secondary. That's easy to code, just:

<font face=andy, comic sans ms>Text</font>

The browser automatically takes Andy if it's available, Comic Sans if it's not, and if neither of those are available, it takes the default system font, Arial or Times New Roman.

Amigo22

Super Moderator

That's awesome David! That looks way better than what they have at the Fox site. Nice work!!!! :D

If you wanted to add episode pictures, you could have two pages for each entry and have the pictures on their own page so they won't make the journal page look overbearing.

It will be interesting seeing what Reese's piece of paper looks like :).

Also - don't use the same font for everyone, use a different font for each character, one that looks like handwriting so Dewey's would be child's writing, Malcolm's would be neat writing, Reese's would be messy writing. Just an idea anyway.

Dewey

Minimalistic

@ Yardgames: That extract from Malcolm's perspective is amazing! Better than I had anticipated. You've put in some serious effort there, and it shows. I'm not exagerating when I say that those words could have come out of Malcolm himself.

admin

Retired Administrator

OK, thanks guys, but remember I just put them together, its the hard work and imagination of yardgames, appanah and anyone else who has a stab at it.

I haven't had a problem so far, but if you do do one please pass it through a spell checker first, and re-read them so you know they make sense :D

Here is yours yardgames, http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/malcolm_no_motorcycles.swf

I have used the same paper stlye, as it is really difficult to get paper backgroudns on the internet which don't look like someone actually just stuffed paper in a scanner and scanned it. I've malcolmified it so it looks more like his notepad.

Anythoughts are welcome

I haven't yet decided whether to have links between the characters, or just to treat them as seperate. Its up to you guys in the end, I'll just make it all look pretty :D

NB: Please note that again, if you want to see it truly have it was made to be seen, you must download this http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=193 font here. It is a sort of handwritten, yet easy to read font I am going to use. I am going to stick to this font, then I don't have to ask you guys to download different handwriting fonts per character, unless of course you'd be willing to :D

admin

Retired Administrator

In response mostly what Amigo22 has said...

I have had to decide against pictures basically because of the size factor, these are quite big 70 - 120KB each, so they aren;t small, adding pictures will mean people spending ages downloading. I guess by now if you haven't started viewing the internet in broadband, go get it, you'll need it for this :D.

As regards fonts, you have another good idea, I might consider it later - the only problem is, no one ever has the good fonts. I have decided to stick to this font for Dewey and Malcolm as I am pretty sure they have alot of similarities.

For Reese, perhaps I can choose a crappy font - does everyone have somehting called Whimsy on their computer, I might use that for Reese...

The Reese paper, if I can find it, will be coming as soon as somone makes a Reese!!

Amigo22

Super Moderator

Yardgames your entry for Malcolm is also great :D. I didn't see it after I had posted my reply before.

allison

Yardgames´ diary entry is really awesome. As appanah said I don´t think we´re exaggerating if we say that it could be from Malcolm, himself. I also like the style of the diaries, you two (Yardgames and admin) did a great job.
I also think that Amigo´s idea with the different handwritings is quite good (if it´s possible to do something like that).
Who´s going to make Reese´s entry? I think it will be a real challenge to write like Reese. Maybe I´ll try it, too, when I have some time but right now I´m quite busy with school and tons of stuff I have to study. :(
Plus it´s a bit harder for me since I always have to try to avoid grammar mistakes and things like that. But if I write an entry for REESE it will maybe even be more authentic if I make some mistakes (just kidding):D