Another Cast Member Becomes Director!

cranstonfan

This information originated from TV Guide:

TV Guide magazine reports that the February 3rd episode of Malcolm in the Middle will mark the directorial debut of Chris Masterson, who plays Francis on the show. Though Masterson shadowed costar Bryan Cranston when he stepped behind the camera last year, this is the first time Masterson's helming a show by himself.

Neat news, no?

admin

Retired Administrator
cranstonfan said:
This information originated from TV Guide:

TV Guide magazine reports that the February 3rd episode of Malcolm in the Middle will mark the directorial debut of Chris Masterson, who plays Francis on the show. Though Masterson shadowed costar Bryan Cranston when he stepped behind the camera last year, this is the first time Masterson's helming a show by himself.

Neat news, no?

That's pretty cool. thanks for the find cranstonfan! :D

It would be interesting to see what Chris Masterson will do, whether he have some of that uniqueness that Byran putsinto the show. Does anyone know the episode name yet?

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Cool, I'm already lookin forward to seeing this episode. I think Chris Masterson is a very nice actor, so let's see if he also got other skills.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That is interesting. It's especially interesting how half the cast is sort of moving behind the camera. Justin with J2TV; Bryan and Chris directing.

My only question with the article is this: didn't Bryan direct Vegas at the beginning of season five first? Just asking because that would have been two years ago, not one. Or did I just read the article wrong?

Ryebeach

Thanks for the info, cranstonfan.:)

I'm looking forward to seeing this episode to see if there is a discernable directing style Christopher brings to this episode. In my opinion, Bryan brings his own touches to the episodes he directs, which, I guess all directors do to an extent. Bryan's are just a bit more pronounced, most likely because he knows the characters so well.
yardgames said:
My only question with the article is this: didn't Bryan direct Vegas at the beginning of season five first? Just asking because that would have been two years ago, not one. Or did I just read the article wrong?
My guees is the article is referring to not Bryan's first episode that he directed but a later one, most likely from season 6.

By my count, Bryan has directed 7 episodes to date (I may have missed one or two).

Season 4:

"Stereo Store"

Season 5:

"Vegas"
"Dirty Magazine"
"Experiment" (My favorite of the episodes Bryan has directed. Great acting, writing and direction make this one of my top 10 episodes)

Season 6:

"Billboard"
"Busey's Run Away"

Season 7:

"Malcolm Defends Reese"

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Wow, I didn't realize he directed so many. Thanks Rye. One woudl think it would be challenging to direct an episode and act in it at the same time.

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
Wow, I didn't realize he directed so many. Thanks Rye. One woudl think it would be challenging to direct an episode and act in it at the same time.
I've always thought the same thing. It must be very tricky, and confusing, I would think, to work out the logistics of that. I wonder if Christopher will appear in the episode he directs? He may not as it's the first one he's directing.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Well this cast members directing is compleely new to me. Where'd you get the info from Rye? is it listed at the end of the episode?

admin

Retired Administrator
tjpeople said:
Well this cast members directing is compleely new to me. Where'd you get the info from Rye? is it listed at the end of the episode?

Usually its mentioned in the Fox Press Release. If you search on the MITMVC episode guide for : directed by bryan : you will find the same episodes listed. :D

Tyno

Malcolm-France
I don't think it has been already announced so... The name of the episode which is going to be directed by Chris Masterson is "Hal Grives" (7x14). ;)