The Perfect Climate and Anglo-American Traffic Diversities

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Other than Amigo, is there anyone who doesn't have snow regularly on Christmas Day? It's the middle of winter here, so the standard issue is a few inches to a feet of snow and very cold. I hate winter. :( One year it was like 60 (F, something like 20 C) on Christmas and that was actually pretty weird. I mean, it was nice, but where I live anyway, you almost expect snow for Christmas.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Re: Christmas

I WISH we could have a white Christmas one year. I live right by the ocean so it hardly ever snows here cause the water usually keeps the temperatures above freezing. Sometimes we get a a little, but it melts almost immediately. The most I ever remember is 8 inches, but that only happens like once every 10 years or something. You people up north would laugh at us because when we do get snow the whole city shuts down until it melts. If there's two inches on the ground, they close up schools, malls, government buildings--everything. Everybody freaks out and goes to the grocery store to buy all these supplies like they're never going to be able to leave their house again. Then they interrupt tv programming for continuous coverage of the "blizzard." It's actually very amusing. :)

BTW, last weekend it was in the 70s, but that's a little warmer than usual. Typically it's in the 50s around this time of year. It usually doesn't get really cold until January. By "cold," I mean the 30s-40s. :D

samboo1

I think it snowed last year...it was certainly cold anyway. I think in my life ive had 3 white christmasses. I think.:)

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Wildcat said:
I WISH we could have a white Christmas one year. I live right by the ocean so it hardly ever snows here cause the water usually keeps the temperatures above freezing. Sometimes we get a a little, but it melts almost immediately. The most I ever remember is 8 inches, but that only happens like once every 10 years or something. You people up north would laugh at us because when we do get snow the whole city shuts down until it melts. If there's two inches on the ground, they close up schools, malls, government buildings--everything. Everybody freaks out and goes to the grocery store to buy all these supplies like they're never going to be able to leave their house again. Then they interrupt tv programming for continuous coverage of the "blizzard." It's actually very amusing. :)

BTW, last weekend it was in the 70s, but that's a little warmer than usual. Typically it's in the 50s around this time of year. It usually doesn't get really cold until January. By "cold," I mean the 30s-40s. :D
SWEET! I'm moving to Virginia!

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

yardgames said:
SWEET! I'm moving to Virginia!

You wanna trade? I'll move to Wisconsin so I can have a white Christmas. I like snow. :D I'd probably be over it after a few weeks though.

Just make sure you move to the coast because further inland it's colder and they get more snow (probably nowhere near as much as you though.) You won't like it in the summer though. It's really hot and humid. Humidity sucks! It's like living in a steam room. Last summer we had some days where the temp was 105 and the heat index was 120. Not fun. :(

yardgames

Retired Administrator

True, but I prefer the heat to the cold. Of course, I have a pool, so that might be part of it. :) Where is the perfect place to live, somewhere that's relatively warm in winter, but not too hot in summer? Cuz I wanna move there. :D

admin

Retired Administrator

yardgames said:
True, but I prefer the heat to the cold. Of course, I have a pool, so that might be part of it. :) Where is the perfect place to live, somewhere that's relatively warm in winter, but not too hot in summer? Cuz I wanna move there. :D

Thats called England.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Doesn't it rain there like every day though? I don't wanna live somewhere where it always rains.

han_keep_smilin

yardgames said:
Doesn't it rain there like every day though? I don't wanna live somewhere where it always rains.

Yer it does rain quite a lot but i suppose i am just used to it.:)

It does snow in england but not were i live, so when there is snow everyone get really exited about it.:)

It snowed a bit last year on christmas day i remember my mum made me stand outside in the freezing cold with only jeams and a strappy top on whilst she took about 5000 pictures as usual:D

admin

Retired Administrator

yardgames said:

We like to complain a lot here about rain, in reality it only rained on 273 days of 365(on average) last year - but that was a good year apparently!

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

yardgames said:
Where is the perfect place to live, somewhere that's relatively warm in winter, but not too hot in summer? Cuz I wanna move there. :D

The perfect climate is in Hawaii. It's around 80 degress all year long, not too much humidity and almost always sunny. It's also quite possibly the most beautiful place on Earth. I'm moving there...one of these days. :D My second choice would probably be southern California.

Wemboy

Re: The Perfect Climate

See after growing up in England I couldn't handle living in a hot climate all year round. I like the summer, but i also like winter. It gets really cold (by our standards) and you can snuggle up, sit by the fire etc. I like the changeable climate. The rain is a pain though, and also the thing about Brits is we can't handle any type of extreme weather. Similar to what Wildcat said about Virginia, an inch of snow and everyone panics, schools shut down, there's chaos on the raods, bit pathetic really considering some people spend half the year under feet of snow:) .

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Stop denying the fact that Southern New Jersey is the best place to live. :D Not only does the best band in the state live there *ahem, ahem* but it is never too cold, or too hot. mild winters, mild summers. And not too much rain. ;)

The hottest it got last year (which was the worst since 1960 something) was 99F, and I don't know the lowest. It is almost right between Virgina and Wisconsin, but we rarely ever get a white Christmas. The ocean(as wildcat said) keeps the snow more accumulating. (yay, I think I spelt it right)

Jimmy Junior

In England the snow generally arrives around January or February, when the whole country seems to panic and grind to a 20mph pace on dual carriageways, making me late for work!

Last Christmas certain parts of the country had a bit of snow which actually settled. I was visiting my Dad (in Malvern, Worcestershire) on Christmas day and parked my car on the side of the hills - even though my hands almost froze clearing the snow from my windscreen, I was so excited at the idea of a snowy Christmas day I took a photo and showed it to all my mates on the south coast, where the snow melted before it hit the ground.

My perfect climate would be what I call 'crisp' - quite cold, but with clear blue sky and sunshine.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I'm sorry, but what in the world is a "dual carriageway"? Who still uses carriages to get around?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

I'm thinking it must be like an interstate or freeway with 2 lanes going each way, hence the "dual" part. It does sound sort of primitive though like something from the horse and carriage days (no offense to the English.) :)

samboo1

Hehe! That made me laugh...even i dont quite know what it is...well i do...but...Hmmm. Theres the motorway which to americans is the freeway...the dual carriage way is like a motorway but with one lane going forward and one lane back, whilst the motorway has something like 3 lanes either way...
But at the end of the day dont pay any attention to this post...its probably all wrong! I dont drive in the car....i sleep :)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Whoa, whoa... You made me read something you wanted no one to read??? You make me s-i-c-k sick!!! :D :)

Jimmy Junior

Wildcat said:
I'm thinking it must be like an interstate or freeway with 2 lanes going each way, hence the "dual" part. :)

Basically, yes. They're like smaller motorways (or "freeways", depending on your inclination) which have the same speed limit as a motorway unless otherwise stated, and consist of the main lane and a 'fast lane' which should be used primarily for overtaking.

They allow for greater diversity than a motorway (or "freeway"), for example they may include traffic lights or roundabouts*, a lower speed limit may apply, or they may filter into a single lane in each direction.

*Junctions that allow traffic to filter into smaller roads in a rotary fashion without the necessity to stop, and requiring less space than a slip road (or "on-ramp").

@yardgames
Please rename this thread "The Perfect Climate, and Anglo-American traffic diversities" :Mysteriou