What effects your vote

admin

Retired Administrator
I was wondering the other day, what effects the way you vote for an episode on the MITMVC

How effective is the picture, does that greatly effect they way you vote, if i put a picture from a fun part of the episode does that increase the rating you give it or not?

Also when you vote after others have voted, how many of you have judged what you are going to rate it after looking at the break down of the episode rating.

How do you guys rate episodes, do you rate them as "Excellent" being excellent in terms of MITM quality or general TV quality. "Poor" is that MITM quality or "TV" quality.

I am just interested to know how you guys went about voting, and what effected you votes when you did it

Finally who is the person who has given every episode 5 stars :D

Being the first person to vote for all the episodes, I had no other factors except the pictures, and the synopsis. Does a synopsis which points out mainly the good parts and a picture from a funny part increase your rating value for the episode? :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I think that the picture and synopsis probably has an impact on those people who vote before they've been able to see the episode.

For me, the first thing I do is scroll to the ratings box. I don't look at any of that; my first goal is to cast a fair vote. In fact, I usually have a vote in mind after watching the episode, and merely cast it once the ep is added to the site. Once on the site, I have a tendancy to forget everything about the episodes. I don't know why, it just happens, so I write my thoughts in Word, then paste that into the comments section and check back a few days or a week later to see what others thought about it.

For me, MITM is the best thing on TV, so to give an episode poor is really making quite a statement, so I guess when I rate them I sort of rate them relative to one another. I gave the Pilot and Red Dress, the first two eps, five stars, and I try to rate the rest of the episodes in relation to those episodes, although I seldom go below three stars, simply because in my mind, the worst MITM episode (either Francis Escapes, Houseboat, or Cynthia's Back) is still better than anything else on TV.

allison

The picture and synopsis of an episode doesn´t have any impact on me since I always vote after I´ve seen the episode. I wouldn´t rate an episode I haven´t seen, even if the storyline sounds pretty interesting to me.

I try to be not influenced by other people´s opinion when I cast my vote. For example lots of people don´t like Cynthia´s back whereas I found that episode quite ok. I don´t remember if I rated that episode, but I wouldn´t rate it badly just because others did.

Good question, I think I rate them in terms of MITM quality. As Yardgames said there is a lot of crap on TV and even an average MITM episode is usually better than most other TV shows. I think the worst rating I ever gave an episode was 3 stars, just because there really isn´t an episode which was really bad in my opinion.

Jimmy Junior

I have to admit I haven't rated many episodes because I find it difficult to vote unless I have just seen them, and even then my rating could depend on how I'm feeling that day.
To rate them fairly I would need to have seen them in the same conditions and after either the first or second viewing - if I saw an episode too many times I might be sick of it and give it a low rating.

When I have voted, I have done in the same way as allison - I wouldn't rate an episode I hadn't seen (it's like judging a book by its cover), I try not to let peoples previous comments influence my decision, and I rate in terms of MitM quality - if I was comparing to something like 'The Simple Life' I'd have to give every episode 10 out of 10.

samboo1

If i havent seen the episode i wont vote for it and so the picture and synopsis dont really make a difference for me since if ive seen it i will know about the scenes in it. But i use the vc as an episode guide for the episodes it havent seen and its cool.
What does make a difference is what other people think about it. Say it had 100% 5 stars and i thought it was worth 1 star i wouldnt vote 1 star, id probably raise to about 3. I dont know why but i just feel as if i must of mis-understood the episode if a lot of people think the opposite to me.

admin

Retired Administrator
samboo1 said:
If i havent seen the episode i wont vote for it and so the picture and synopsis dont really make a difference for me since if ive seen it i will know about the scenes in it. But i use the vc as an episode guide for the episodes it havent seen and its cool.
What does make a difference is what other people think about it. Say it had 100% 5 stars and i thought it was worth 1 star i wouldnt vote 1 star, id probably raise to about 3. I dont know why but i just feel as if i must of mis-understood the episode if a lot of people think the opposite to me.

You shouldn't think that! :D If you think an episode is worth 1 star, then give it 1 star. Don't be afraid of what other people think, after all the votes are all anoymous currently!