Hosting Videos on the Net

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I have a 436,080KB File that I would like to host somewhere. Preferably somewhere free (of course). and I was just curious if anyone knew where I could host such a file, it's about 14 mins long, and is of my band at our Championships. Thanks in advance.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Re: host site

That's 436 MB! Yeah, that's a big one. :D The first thing I'm gonna ask is how you have it compressed. I suggest Windows Media Video (but high quality). Commonly, they come encoded as MPEG which are unnecessarily large if you're not burning to DVD.

Secondly, who are your intended recipients? If you want to share it with a few people or the board, allison has had success with www.yousendit.com. If you wanna share it with the general Internet, you're gonna heve to pay :) you might find someone willing to host the file, but the bandwidth a file of that size would go through would be substantial.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

I'll go through yousentit.com, and I'd like to share it with the board, and some friends, so it should work. That site was what I needed most though.

What I did is take it off a dvd, save it to my computer under a VOB File(whatever that is).

Thanks, I thought an award winning movie maker would know this kind of stuff. :)

yardgames

Retired Administrator

If you saved it as a VOB file, did you convert it to a video file? If it's saved as a VOB file, whomever your recipient is most likely won't know how to decompress it in order to view it. Most mid-level video editing programs and a few standalone programs can do that for you. I believe Nero can, assuming the disc isn't protected. Remember--rip to WMV! AVI might be your only option, in which case you should rip to AVI and then WMV in a program that supports it. Probably an overnighter unless you have a killer computer--and another overnighter to upload a file that big. :D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
you lost me at
yardgames said:
rip to WMV! AVI might be your only option, in which case you should rip to AVI and then WMV in a program that supports it.

layman's terms, Sam, please. How would I get it to AVI, and then to WMV? I feel so dumb, when I used to be so smart with these things.:eek:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Lol right. Sorry. Ok, why don't you answer these questions and I'll give you a step-by-step guide.

Do you have Nero? (if not, do you have Roxio Easy Media Creator? If not, do you have any video editing programs? If not, get one. Which did you get?)

Ok, begin by Googling DVD Shrink and downloading a copy of that. (it does illegal things, so it can be tough to find, but you're going to use it for a perfectly legal purpose. :))

Open up DVD Shrink and choose Open Disc, and open up the DVD. Then choose Backup and choose ISO file, saving that file to somewhere you can find it later, like your desktop.

Let me know if you get lost doing that. :D or maybe whomever you're sending it to is more intelligent and can figure out how a VOB file works? :D:D

samboo1

Do you want to have it on your computer to view it your self or so other people can see it? (Hosting videos means so you put it on the internet for others to download right? Im not good at these things:eek: ).