Malcolm In The Middle Cast Going To March In A Parade

You can't be serious!! It sounds pretty cool i must say but my view is- it seems a cool idea but maybe a little strange but if it's for a good cause (well to sponsor floats) then i say 'good for them'. This is just a question "are the twins who played Jamie and the woman who plays ida marching too?"

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Thanks for sharing the news, MITM18. I generally find myself very bored watching televised parades, and it always seems to rain if I go to one in person :D I swear I'm like some kind of omen. Anyway, I might have to check this one out, the bigger-city ones are always better than the little ones I get where I live. :)

(Note to David: I've moved this thread to the News section, but I'll let you do your fancy picture thingy since you usually change it when I do it anyhow)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Cool! MITM and Lost are my 2 fav shows. :D I usually get bored watching parades, but I might tune in to see them.

MITM18

Hollywood Christmas Parade

This year’s Parade, the 74th annual, will take place on Sunday, November 27, 2005, beginning at 5:00 p.m.
This year’s Grand Marshal is Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, and the parade will be televised locally on KTLA and around the country on Tribune Entertainment Stations.
Grandstand tickets are available for $40, children 12 and under are $35. The grandstand viewing area is on Hollywood Blvd. between Orange and Highland Ave. Please contact Extra Hands to purchase your tickets at 714.670.0186.

The Hollywood Christmas Parade is rich in history. Today, the Holiday Season is kicked off with a star-studded extravaganza with nearly 100 celebrities offering their holiday cheer to the people of Southern California and the world. The very first parade, in 1928, consisted of only one actress, Jeanette Loff, and Santa Claus.

In an effort to attract shoppers and their families to Hollywood Boulevard during the holiday season, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce came up with the idea of the parade. The Chamber started out by decorating Hollywood Boulevard with live Christmas trees and other Christmas decorations. Then, to add excitement to the event, a live reindeer-pulled sleigh carrying Santa Claus and Ms. Loff made its way down the Boulevard.

Since the main attraction seemed to be Santa Claus, the Chamber appropriately named it the "Santa Claus Lane Parade."

Each year, with the help of local businesses and the community, the parade grew. In 1931, a truck-pulled float replaced the live reindeer-pulled sleigh.

Santa's carriage was now pulled by model reindeer that soared through the clouds and over a miniature village while a machine made artificial snow. Santa was able to greet the shoppers through a public address system that also broadcast Christmas carols.

But Santa and the celebrities weren't the only ones in the parade that year. The American Legion Post 43 marched with their color guard and drum and bugle corps. That year also marked the change of live Christmas trees aligning Hollywood Boulevard to a 16 foot, 750 pound metal Christmas trees with strings of lights. A new standing tradition began with the making of the first Grand Marshal, Comedian Joe E. Brown in 1932.

Thereafter, throughout the '30s and into the '50s, many well known celebrities, including Bette Davis, Evelyn Venable and Mary Pickford, all flipped the switch lighting the Christmas trees, thereby officially beginning the Holiday Season.

During World War II, in the true spirit of the season, the metal Christmas trees were donated to the war effort and the parade was suspended from 1942 to 1944. However, the first Christmas Parade after the war had a record number of people coming out to celebrate.

In 1946, nobody could have known that a favorite Christmas song would come out of the Parade. But that's exactly what happened. When Gene Autry rode his horse, Champion, down Hollywood Boulevard (or Santa Claus Lane) and heard all the children yelling, "Here comes Santa Claus, Here comes Santa Claus," he couldn't help but come up with the idea for the song he co-wrote with Oaklely Haldeman. Two years later, Bill Welsh and two cameramen broadcast the first local televised parade to the people of Los Angeles.

The 1950's through the 1970's found the parade growing with the addition of floats, animals, bands, clowns and lots of celebrities. In 1978 Jack Foreman, the President of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, asked John Golden of the Western Costume Company to offer ideas that would increase the excitement and glamour of the parade.

To start with, the parade was officially renamed "The Hollywood Christmas Parade" in an effort to increase celebrity involvement. With the help of Johnny Grant, Vice President of Public Affairs for KTLA, the parade was broadcast locally, for the first time, on KTLA. In 1979, fifty years since the first parade, the route was lengthened to 3.5 miles and now includes Sunset Boulevard.

Today spectators line the streets of Hollywood to see the beautiful stars, classic cars, equestrians, bands, floats, and don't forget, Santa Claus, and to ring in the holiday season to the world.

The Hollywood Christmas Parade is produced for the sole purpose of entertaining and educating the people of the United States and the world on the glamour of Hollywood, and is dedicated to bringing together all the entertainment principals of this reborn community to speak as one voice, to acknowledge that Hollywood is ...

The Entertainment Capital of the World!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Come on, Davey boy, couldn't you have done a Christmas tree or something? That image is really overused! Be more creative :D

Back on topic, to tell you the truth, I didn't know there was a Hollywood parade. There's always a parade in my hometown on Thanksgiving Day that's pretty big news, plus the Macy's parade in New York. How many other cities have parades? (directed at all members)

MITM18

Yeah, also it hasnt been stated if Frankie will actually march. I am guessing [SIZE=-1] Jane Kaczmarek since she is very charitable.
[/SIZE]

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I'd like to see this...

I wish my band would go to this parade, but the stupid school board only allows for an "extened" trip of 5 days or more once every 2 years. (which means I have to wait until next year to go somewhere) And if we were to raise enough money, they would find some oher excuse to not let us go to the parade.

Let's see Sam:
Fireman's parade
Halloween parade
Memorial day parade
Independance day parade
Christmas parade

And those are just the one's my band goes too. :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Parades? well they hardley ever happen in Cardiff (capital of Wales, which is part of UK, save people getting confussed) we have a very samll parafde in my town oncve a year but it was cancelled last couse they had no floats. Prrades generally bore me, but it more popular in US than here.

han_keep_smilin

i am not sure if they will be on my television seeing as i live in england and i never hear of things like that on my programes america sounds soo cool:)