Family Guy and Simpsons

There has not been a thread on this before i don't think but i like this program and as it's rated the number one cartoon in the world, i guess we should talk about it more!!

My favourite character is probably bart because he's cool and he knows nothing but is totally cool with it. I also like Lisa too because she's pretty smart and seems cool even though she is considered to be geeky.

The simpsons has been going since the 1980's before i came into the world so we should give Matt Groening some credit!!

Any ideas to share?

Jimmy Junior

Re: The Simpsons

I know a lot of other people have said this, but I think the Simpsons has gone downhill the last few years.
Sure, the animation is much better and the sound is clearer, but the quality of writing just isn't what it used to be; I can still watch the earlier episodes and pick up on subtle jokes I've missed the first few times around, whereas in the more recent episodes the overall story is confusing and unrealistic, and the jokes are often low-brow and cringeworthy.

I don't think the introduction of cameo appearances has helped matters either; while Kelsey Grammar playing Sideshow Bob is all good and well (that started in the first series, c1996 on terrestrial in the UK), in a few years when Tony Blair is no longer Prime Minister and few people remember the likes of NSync and Brittney Spears, their appearances will have a negative impact on the viewing quality.

That said, (early) Simpsons still ranks among my favourite TV programmes of all time, but my current favourite has to be Family Guy - the humour is quick-witted and people of all ages can appreciate Adam West as the mayor, as reference is seldom made to his Batman years.

We have family guy on DVD!! I love the Simpsons though because it's classic and will always be 'the best cartoon ever' in our heads. It's part of my childhood a lot like Mlacolm in the Middle. No matter what people say, it's pretty cool but it doesn't compare to the standard of Malcolm in the Middle!!

samboo1

I have 2 seasons on DVD. and i was annoyed when they were only £20 in asda and i got em for about £30 - £40.:mad: Sorry i had to get that out of my system! lol.
Anyway i like Lisa... b/c i admire her confidence really. Bart is cool, and Marge, and Homer and Maggie...wait a minute!

Jimmy Junior

Family Guy DVDs are one of the first things I'm going to buy when I stop being so skint!
Personally I don't think it's fair to judge MitM alongside animated series' because MitM has had to write storylines with the children growing up; I also get a bit nostalgic watching the early Simpsons episodes.

CJman327

The Simpson's started in 1989!:D And yes, we SHOULD give Matt Groening A LOT of credit!:) I personally think it should end now since they haven't been too good lately. I loved "Treehouse Of Horror XV"! "The Ned Zone"! LOL! Summary(by me):

Homer and his "trying to get the frisbee off the roof" antics with a bowling ball land in a dangerous near-death concussion for Ned Flanders after it knocks him unconscious. Turns out "Ned, you could've died!---from a brain tumor. Good thing that bowling ball knocked it of your head, ha ha ha!" in the words of Dr. Hibbert! But after foretelling Dr. Hibbert's future of falling out of the hospital window to "get Homer's frisbee off the roof"(obviously!:D )And ands up being true!:eek: So Ned is freaked out and says it was jsut a "coinkydink". But predicts Moleman falling into the sewer and the Rosie O'Donnell musical being cancelled "after 3 performances"! Then Homer asks if he can foretell HIS death and Homer gets shot----by Flanders! After taunts from Homer and a gun tossed to Homer for a "fellow citizen" in the words of Chief Wiggum and Flanders doesn't take the taunting and throws it into his "Li'l Chipper"!:) Flanders is glad but predicts Homer will press the "Core Destruct" button at the Nuclear Power Plant and kills everybody and blows up the ENTIRE TOWN!:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!! But Homer insists in going to attend Lenny's birthday party on the count of ice cream cake landing him nit he same area witht he Core Destruct button. Flanders attempts to use a microphone hooked up into little transparent tube-like room but hsi voice gets cancelled out. In reality Flanders says, "Don't press the core destruct button!" and "Don't do it! Don't do it! You'll kill everyone!" but in the tube-like area room Homer only gets this out of the foggy microphone response:"Press core destruct button!" and "Do it! Do it!" Kill everyone!" So Homer slowly reaches the button and says, "It sure is taking me a long time to reach this button." So Flanders grabs an asleep gaurd's gun and reluctantly shoots through the glass tube-like area room and says, "Must---kill----best friend!" and shoots him 3 times! Homer, like a zombie, falls backwards from Flanders command then forward then left near the button and touches it but doens't blow up!---and then to the left. And finally Homer goes, "BLAAHGAAHHHAAALLLAAHWHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and flips to the button landing RIGHT NEXT TO IT. Flanders sighs in relief----and then Homer's tongue rolls out and presses the button!:eek: :eek: :eek: And followed 5 seconds before the explosion goes like this from Flanders, "Oh! You stupid son of a----" BSHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great episode!:D AWESOME SHOW!:)

I don't like Homer because he's really annoying!! Does anyone agree with me? I also have 4 of the simpsons DVD seasons and we have other random simpsons DVD or Videos in our house!!

Jimmy Junior

To me, all the characters have become more annoying; particularly Lisa - she seems to have turned into some kind of irritating narrator who introduces guest stars and generally gets on everybody's nerves.

Homer is still my favourite character.

CJman327

Yeah. Sometimes that stupid Homer is just so.....stupid! Yeah that's the word!:D Lol! Yeah, Lisa's my least favorite character. I think Maggie's funny too.:) . She can't talk or anything but she's really smart with her body movements and in one episode Marge says, "The kids are growing up so fast. Look at Maggie!" ("Oops I Did It Again" by Britney Spears plays) Maggie was so funny! She was dancing to it in her crib with her eyes sort of down and she looked like she was being cool!:) She was dancing and doing shoulder movements and stuff and it was really funny. Marge isn't TOO funny. But she has her moments! I also like Bart. He's awesome! But Homer beats them all! I know I said he's stupid and you sometimes can't bear to watch his stupidity but he's still my favorite character on The Simpsons!:D (I also kind of think Flanders is a good character, too!)

This is a bit off subject but: Jimmy Junior, you live in Bournemouth, i live in Broadstone!! Wow!! I also think Lisa is cool so there although she's a bit annoying sometimes!!

Jimmy Junior

I've only just moved here so I don't know where that is. I actually live in Southbourne, but I hadn't heard of that either until I moved here.

I think it's quite interesting how before they got their own series the Simpsons revolved around Bart, with his 'hip' catchphrases like "Don't have a cow, man" and "Eat my shorts", but the focus later moved to the comical antics of Homer.

I know!! I love the saying 'eat my shorts'. I also think homer's famous sayings 'why you little' and 'doh!' are pretty cool too. I've reallised they've spread across the world from the U.S.A to the U.K to Japan!!

Jimmy Junior

@MRD
I posted to you a couple of days ago but for some reason it didn't show here.

Broadstone is near Poole isn't it?
I actually live in Southbourne, but I'd never heard of it until I moved here a few weeks ago.

I think it's quite interesting how before they got their own series the Simpsons revolved around Bart, with his "Don't have a cow, man" and "Eat my shorts" catchphrases, but since then they focus more on the comical antics of Homer.