Personalization Features

Reesefan639

Umm.... I cant have a sig. I was told to try again when I had 10 posts, and this is my 11th still cant get one. Any help?

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: Help...

You will gain that permission eventually, I can't tell you exactly when but if you haven't got it by 100 posts then there is something wrong with the promotion system :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I said I thought it might be ten posts, but was unsure exactly when it is. David could look it up if he really wanted to. :D CJ, I know you can't as you're on probation.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Probation is a state of a member imposed automatically by the forums when their reputation level drops below zero.

The reputation system allows members to show appreciation for each other by giving reputation points for exceptionally good posts, and taking points away for bad posts (see my Reputation FAQ at the top of Tiki Lounge for more info on it). When any member's reputation level is pushed below zero (e.g. red blocks instead of green blocks) they are put onto probation until their reputation is positive again. (New members, by the way, start with a neutral, or gray, reptuation.)

When a member is on probation, many of their rights, including signatures and avatars, are removed, and all posts must be approved by a moderator. The mods will only approve good, quality posts, which should theoretically, in turn, earn the probationees positive reputation and eventually pull them out of the probation system and back onto the boards as a normal, happy, functioning member. :D

Re: Signatures

I have no idea but i've just reallised that i don't have a signature any more (well it doesn't appear). You can usually make your signature on the User Controll Panel. Just try that a few times. If thgat doesn't work, i can't really help you!! sorry

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

admin said:
You will gain that permission eventually, I can't tell you exactly when but if you haven't got it by 100 posts then there is something wrong with the promotion system :D

Then there is something wrong with it because I still can't have a sig or a custom avatar. :D

Kratos

Wildcat said:
Then there is something wrong with it because I still can't have a sig or a custom avatar. :D

Great,:rolleyes: just how long does it take on this board before you can show some individuality, take more pride in your posts because you feel more like part of the board family.

I’m sorry to say it, but I think the fact that some people can chose siggs and avys and others can’t, until you have a ridiculous amount of posts or if people lower your rep points because they don’t like what you are saying, is the main reason why I don’t post here more often.

I’m just going to be blunt and ask why someone cant just make a poll addressing this issue so that everyone on this board can make a choice for themselves. :confused:

samboo1

That was the point of it...Davey wanted people to post more so you can get more things. Have a word with Davey about it if you want.

Kratos

If it were a set number of posts to aim for them yeah I would agree its a good idea. But the problem is that no one seems to have any idea.

I've tried explaining myself and it's not working. :( Put it another way, the MB I spend most time on are the ones where I feel I can be myself. Perhaps that's just me, then again maybe its not. Could it be a reason for the low postings but huge member count? :confused:

admin

Retired Administrator

There is 2 points to the system, if you like I can produce the actual posts you require for each functio.

The first is that if everyone has a signature our bandwidth is used up too fast, especially since most of you use our server space and not your own.

Secondly its a way of rewarding members that do actually post and contribute in a great way to the forums.

Reputation is also not a matter of liking or disliking a member its designed to remove poor quality posting

I have slightly altered the system permitting everyone above Registered User Level 1 to have a signature, please ensure though that your signatures are of a reasonable height and size, also that they do not exceed approximately 15KB.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I'm glad we were all able to reach an agreement. I can see both sides of an argument. @Kratos I believe it was decided to initate such a system based on the actions of some new members around summertime (whose names I will withhold :D) but not just because we automatically hate all new members. :)

For me, I like this forum because the people are friendly and we've worked hard to make sure the conversations are worth the time it takes to read and participate in them. With the measures we've taken, you'll be hard-pressed to find another MITM forum--another forum of any subject, really--that is such a great place to post in.

Kratos

admin said:
There is 2 points to the system, if you like I can produce the actual posts you require for each functio.

The first is that if everyone has a signature our bandwidth is used up too fast, especially since most of you use our server space and not your own.

Secondly its a way of rewarding members that do actually post and contribute in a great way to the forums.

Reputation is also not a matter of liking or disliking a member its designed to remove poor quality posting

I have slightly altered the system permitting everyone above Registered User Level 1 to have a signature, please ensure though that your signatures are of a reasonable height and size, also that they do not exceed approximately 15KB.

Thank you for explaning :D If bandwidth is a problem, just make sure all members link from another site. It takes seconds to set up a free photobucket account. I have to say I've never heard of a forum/MB being set with a small about of bandwidth :confused: unless its directly linked with the main site?

yardgames

Retired Administrator

It's linked to his webhosting site, CyberSplat, but on a different server from the main VC. He has a colassal amount of bandwidth, but he still manages to have just a few megabytes left over each month. Stuff like the shoutbox that constantly updating takes up a lot of bandwidth. The Currently Active Users page used to refresh automatically too--those sorts of things are real bandwidth eaters for any site.

admin

Retired Administrator

Kratos said:
Thank you for explaning :D If bandwidth is a problem, just make sure all members link from another site. It takes seconds to set up a free photobucket account. I have to say I've never heard of a forum/MB being set with a small about of bandwidth :confused: unless its directly linked with the main site?

The forums have 10GB of bandwidth, the main site has 21GB. You may notice that bigger sites limit you greatly, thats how they save bandwidth - they remove avatars/signatures/smilies and generall any of these "personalization" features you mention.

Kratos

lol I always used to think vBulletin looked sharp and I did consider it for my site, glad I didnt if thats the case. :eek:

Well thanks for telling me.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

If I may state my humble opinion on the matter, vB is simply the best bulletin board software that exists. It works well, it looks good, and there's plenty of add-ons and good support. The only drawback, of course, is the rather steep cost.