Chad's Sleepover (Analysis of)

admin

Retired Administrator
Something with I think some people have missed is that its clear the Hal also has this obessive disorder about sorting, like Chad does.

If you watch the episode, when Chad moves something into "his" order, Hal moves it back into "his" order. The most obvious incidents of this was with Chad rearranging the books and Hal putting one back on another pile, and in the kitchen with the two plates.

Everyone of course should have worked it out, when Hal showed Chad his enclyopidea.

I am suprised you are comparing the obsession to Reese, and not to Hal, I would be trying to find some form of clue in other episodes that Hal has this obession, perhaps Bots and the Bees is one of them, where Lois leaves he starts to lose it.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
We've learned in the past that Hal has various types of obsessive-compulsive disorder, but it's never been seen as a long-term thing before. Bots and the Bees, Hal Quits, Dewey's Special Class; they were all short-term...by the end of the ep, Hal was over his obsession and on with everyday life.

For the first time, we also see that Hal has more of an obsessive-compulsive disorder that's been with him for a longer period of time. He's not just going through a phase--he's gone through three encyclopedias. In evening scenes, we often see Hal reading a newspaper or watching television; could this be merely constrewed as a hobby that Hal uses to pass the time on other evenings. Maybe the entire obsessive-compulsive thing is being assumed a bit too far?

I think we can also make comparisons between Chad and both Reese and Malcolm. They all feel that their method of organization is the most logical; but "logical organization" is quite arbitrary. Chad groups things by object, color, size, etc. He's smart in that way, like Malcolm, because he uses more than one factor to determine an object's final placement. Malcolm doesn't have an algorithm he defaults to; he does whichever seems to be most appropriate for the situation. We see Reese's organizational skills primarily in Garage Sale, as appanah mentioned, and here we see another type of arbitrary organization that can also be thought to closely resemble Chad. We have just two factors here: color and size, but, like Chad's methods, it's still a very odd method of organization for a garage sale.

In conclusion, we all have thoughts or ideas or methods that we believe to be universal, but that, in fact, we may ahve in common wtih just a small percent of the population...or have just a small percent of our ideas in common with a small percent of the population.

Dewey

Minimalistic
Hey Yardgames,

I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your posts. You always come up with an idea or theme that I initially never thought about myself. It kind of adds a further dimension to the discussion.

Your message above is no exception - i swear, you are on the verge of making my ideas seem rather redundant.

Keep it up!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
No, I need your ideas to function properly.

For example, on the main VC, this is what I had written prior to reading your analysis:
This week’s episode was subpar by my standards. It had its good points and it had its bad points. I’m sure many of you can contest to Chad being the high point of the episode, with the Malcolm/Reese storyline being the low point.

Ditch Day was a superb idea, and the writers could have taken it far, I’m sure. Instead of continuing on the Ditch Day line, though, we say Malcolm and Reese complain to each other, something we’ve seen far too much of lately. I know teenagers like to complain—heck, I’m a teenager and I like to complain, but it’s getting a little bit old. They need to mix things up a bit. Instead we have the lame “haunted house” instead of an “empty house.”

For all of you who are looking for episodes reminiscent of seasons one and two, this is why we can’t do them; they just no longer work out with Frankie and Justin’s age. I think this storyline could have been very successful five years ago, but even though we were shown how lame everyone (including Malcolm and Reese) thought it was, it just came off as rather boring to me. It was quite like watching a horrible season one episode, with actors that are five years too old to play the part. If the writers continue to have trouble coming up with storylines for Malcolm and Reese now that they’re older, I fear that the series will end very soon indeed.

I mentioned that I thought the high part of the episode was Chad. I expected Chad to take things out of order, not put things in order. That was a brilliant twist that I quite honestly never saw coming. Dewey’s calmness throughout the whole thing and eventual humbling to his father was interesting to watch. Also, we’ve seen Hal act crazily before, but we’ve never seen his obsessive side. How much time can one man waste filling in the I’s and the E’s and the question marks and the percent signs in encyclopedias?

My two favorite scenes had to be the pizza man scene and the “pictures of things should go on the things they’re pictures of” scene. You could tell something was wrong and awkward right from the beginning in the pizza man scene; giving us clues like that is a gift Erik has, and while he may not be good at crying (Dewey’s Opera) he played this part extremely well.

Of course, the scene that had everyone on the floor laughing –and the highlight of the episode—was when Lois finally found the warranty on the blender. Chad had put it there because pictures of things should go on the things they’re pictures of. And of course, he put Lois’ naked picture on Lois. The screaming and spinning I found to be absolutely hilarious. This is good evidence from earlier discussions in which we talked about how Hal is one of the boys. He really is, isn’t he?

Overall, Ida Loses a Leg was very dramatic, and I think the writers intended to get some comedy relief flowing this week. At times, it worked well, but Ditch Day was a complete disaster.
It really more skims the surface of the episode, sort of giving my thoughts about the various eps, but to go deeper and examine the symbolism and allusions that you do, I, well to be perfectly honest, I forget the episode easily after seeing it just once. Lately, I've started recording voice notes while I'm watching them so I remember what I intend to say.

What I'm trying to say right now is that I use your ideas as a springboard and often end up writing more than I intend to on other angles of your ideas. Before reading your posts, I never looked at Malcolm quite that deeply, and I really do find it interesting.

When I'm typing my responses to you, often I don't even think about it as I type; I just sort of type and read back whatever I happened to type later on.

From what you've shared with us, I'm sure your thesis will be fantastic.

arach

You wanna know what makes me think?

A few weeks ago we talked about Dewey getting into the middle of the show more and more. Then, the last 2 episodes were the proof for it.

And it's not a long time ago that we discussed that the boys are social rejects, and kind of fear that they are not liked - and now we look at the Malcolm-Reese plot in Chad's sleepover and we see exactly what we were talking about.

Scary.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Maybe someone here...someone right amongst us...participating in our very conversations...is closely involved with the show that brought us all here?

Then again, it's probably just a scary coincidence because they were written ages ago, I'm sure.

arach

One of us connected to the show? Well, we will notice that when one of our ideas for the last episode is used. :D

allison

yardgames said:
We've learned in the past that Hal has various types of obsessive-compulsive disorder, but it's never been seen as a long-term thing before. Bots and the Bees, Hal Quits, Dewey's Special Class; they were all short-term...by the end of the ep, Hal was over his obsession and on with everyday life.
I just thought of another situation: Hal became very neurotic when he played Bowling. He always had to do exactly the same, otherwise he thought he would lose. At the end none was allowed to leave and his "barn door" had to be open.
I think that was more than an obsession. It resembled the encyclopedia neurosis in a way.

oneofmany

hello, first post!
this site is quite deep, im pleasantly surprised..

just wanted to ask if there was actually a term for hal and chad's... thing, cos im not sure whether it was ever explained in the episode, if not, is there an equivalent to it? im just curious about the whole thing,

thanks people

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay. All of Appanah's posts were quite deep; a valued member, indeed.

It's been awhile since we've dug out this thread. I think I would call it obsessive-compulsive disorder, but I'm no docor. Is anyone on these forums a doctor? They would be better equipped to answer your question.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It's good to know we have a doctor on these boards. You sound like there's some type of catch--like you're a cartoon doctor or something. Do you happen to know anything about Hal and Chad's "disease"?