Die Toten Hosen

admin

Retired Administrator
I thoughts I'd have a listen to some German rock music, and have to say I was very impressed by the above band! :D Very enjoyable songs!

This is mainly aimed at our German speaking members but is there any other german bands you would recommend?

I have tried Die Toten Hosen

Plus so I don't discriminate has any other of our 1st language non english member have any great native language songs to share, I am always in for listening! :D

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Yeah, Die toten Hosen rock!!! But i only like their older records, i'm not much into that new stuff. But they do great live performances.
Other German bands that i would really recommend? hmm.. Rammstein are awesome, but they do really heavy music. Or Die Ärzte, another germna punk band. If you like Hip Hop as well, you should test Die Fantastischen Vier. Fantastic band.
Can't think of any more rat the moment

admin

Retired Administrator
Dabney said:
Yeah, Die toten Hosen rock!!! But i only like their older records, i'm not much into that new stuff. But they do great live performances.
Other German bands that i would really recommend? hmm.. Rammstein are awesome, but they do really heavy music. Or Die Ärzte, another germna punk band. If you like Hip Hop as well, you should test Die Fantastischen Vier. Fantastic band.
Can't think of any more rat the moment

They are are really cool, I only just heard them today, and I thought they were brilliant, especially "Schön sein" and "Hier kommt Alex" , really good.

I might try Rammstein and Die Arzte, I do like a mixture of heavy and punk rock, not a fan of hiphop though. Cheers :D

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Hier kommt Alex, one of their best songs. If you like Rammstein (but you haven't heard them yet, right?) you can also try OOMPH! , who make pretty the same music like Rammstein.
Unfortunately most German bands sing their songs in English, only few dare to do them in German. At the moment there is a certain trend to sing in German in German pop music, though.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Rammstein - well there big in the uk, surprised david hadnt heard of them, im not a fan, but some of my mates are and they are know for there amense live performances, including spraying the audience with semen (surposedly) and covering then with petrol and lighting them, and lots of flame on stage etc. Sound interesting from a distance to me!

O.K so i can tell Die Toten Hosen are a band but strangely i have never heard of them though!! I think i've heard of Rammstein from a friend (Fantails) who will probably say they rock!! I think they are probably a German 'Green Day or My Chemical Romance'

I have kindly looked up the band on Google and they have an official site (although you probably already know it) It's www.dietotenhosen.de

On the language translater, Die toten hosen means 'the dead trousers', a very original band name i guess!! I encourage creativity though (in my experiences)

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I never happened to be at a Rammstein concert, but they do have a huge show. They use a lot of fire and pyrotechnical (does that word exist?) effects. In earlier times the singer always set himself on fire at the end of a show.

@ Yardgames: The stuff they do is probably not forbidden in the Us, because they have been on tour their several times and also did their normal show there. When they played in the USA for the first time, they thought it was funny if the keyboarder hit the singer with a fluorescent tube on the stage. So they did it. Unfortunately the tube broke and slit the singer's back :p

allison

I like Die Toten Hosen, die fantastischen 4 and Oomph(but Dabney mentioned them already). :D Another german band or singer I know are Sido and Kool Savas. Sido always wears a skull mask. lol I don´t like their music, but if you are into rap music maybe you´ll like this kind of music.

A lot of things are allowed here that probably wouldn´t be allowed in the US. Last time I watched TV Total (a german show) one bandmember of the Blood hound gang got completely undressed. I wasn´t paying attention until this moment so I don´t know what they were talking about before that and why he did it, but suddenly he took of his clothes and walked around naked. I don´t think that would be allowed in the US television, but since the show airs after 10pm none seemed to care. :D

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Well, the tabloids cared. BILD wrote the next day: "Sex scandal at TV Total!!" And then they added: "The bass player showed his little weiner" :D :D

But you're right, allison, normally there are no problems if they show naked people on tv. You can also curse as long as you want and it doesn't get censored. Actually I think there are no laws concerning such things in Germany, but i might be wrong. At least no one respects them.