Do we read too deep?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
(i think i may have brought this up before esp with Dewy's analysis - not that they werent good)

We do all these deep and meaning full discussions about the charectors motives/views/reasons etc , but i mean the writers wont! they just want to make sure it wroughtly fits wiht the storyline and they dont expect thing to be put under the microscope.

Could we be going to far with some of our reviews/analysis of episodes etc.

Remeber they aint real people, they are only as deep and wthe writers wish to go.

what you think?

admin

Retired Administrator
I don't think we really tend to look into things very deeply at all. Certain members do, but I feel if you look at what most people are talking about its usually quite light hearted and doesn't contain any real depth at all.

Most of the posts in a thread about an episode tend to be generally good or bad comments, other threads question the writeres motives, they don't necessarily go into character depth that doesn' exist.

A large number of threads also concentrate mainly on picking up "facts" from episodes, such as our recent "darkest secrets" thread.

So I don't think we go to deep in MITM.

Ryebeach

Excellent question TJ :)

Overall, in general, I don't feel we look too deep into MITM. As admin said, most of the posts in the review threads tend to be basic ratings about the episode.

But my opinion on this topic is:

While we may never know exactly how deep the writers go when creating a given scene or character, I have to assume they go back a ways to create a history, if for no other reason than to stress credibility to the viewers. When I view an episode, I admit, oftentimes, I look too deep into certain scenes and in my mind create a story of why the character did or said what they said. I'm fairly sure the writers don't always go that far but in truth, by me doing so, it gives me a clearer understanding of that scene or a better understanding of a characters motivation for doing something. I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do to read into a show when it's a half hour comedy. It's probably more suited for hour long dramas such as LOST or similar but I still think it should be up to each viewer just how much the read into it or how deep they want to look into MITM.

Also, I really like the in-depth topics that members here start. It keeps the mind active and makes for some intriguing reading.:)

allison

Ryebeach said:
It's probably more suited for hour long dramas such as LOST or similar but I still think it should be up to each viewer just how much the read into it or how deep they want to look into MITM.

I agree. I think it should be up to everyone to decide how deep they want to look into mitm. Of course the writers don´t always think about all these things when they write an episode (and even things like their birth dates: None of them has a birth date that was ever mentioned, so you can´t find out and even if someone´s birthday seemed to be in summer during one season it can be in autumn the following season). But there are certain things and personality traits we discovered in earlier seasons and which later became quite important (we could always see Dewey´s interest in music and he always seemed to have a talent for it, even in the 1st season, Hal´s compulsive behaviour etc). So the writers do think about these things to a certain degree, but probably not too much. But although we all know they aren´t a real family I think it´s interesting to try to figure out their motivations for doing the things they do (as Ryebeach and others do). The fact that people can do and enjoy that maybe even shows what a good show mitm is.

it's just like an English teacher trying to look for the meaning of life in Red Badge of Courage (a book for those that are less learned). A story can be enjoyed for the obvious comedic value, an escape from everydayism, or it can be analyzed for deep spiritual meaning. That is the enjoyment of the show. Sometimes I just want to laugh my a$$ off and others i search for clues to unfound truths. Never worry if you are being "Too Deep". The writers leave it to the viewer. Life IS Unfair.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
@In part this was directed at 'dewy' and 'malcoholic' in referance to the very good, but very analysing posts, which more and more members are doing.

This website is for dedicated Malcolm in the Middle fans: that is what we are so we'll talk about Malcolm until the cows come home. This is only an expression but what i mean is true as we are dedicated fans and we just love the program!! Thgis site gives uds everything from Frankie Muniz to Kyle Sullivan even news about the great trio of actors, per sullivan, muniz and justin. This is the site we love!! We do read a bit deep and explain the extraordinary!!!! but we love it still and if you know what i mean....we probably always will!

Malcoholic

tjpeople said:
@In part this was directed at 'dewy' and 'malcoholic' in referance to the very good, but very analysing posts, which more and more members are doing.

Relax, I am nothing if not shallow.:rolleyes: What triggered my verbosity is that the decision to go to a 7th Season of Malcolm was widely criticized by critics on the grounds that the boy characters had outgrown their roles. So I thought it would be worthwhile to look at how well the writers justified a 7th season by making the boys' roles fit their age. I was really pleased and excited by the good job they did, and felt this series got a new lease on life from this episode. So, think of my post not as analysis, but as an extremely wordy cheer.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I didnt mean it directed persoanlly at you, i like analysis, i was justing taking another point of view. :D

Emrysgirl

I found that thread you were talking about:

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=2231#post2231

Unfortunately, since I got to the thread from my User CP, the link takes you straight to my post. I don't know how to change it so that it doesn't. (It's probably something really obvious that I'm not thinking of b/c it's 2 in the night:D).

If I remember right, that was the first thread I posted in within the forums:). I was even more incoherant then than I am now:D.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It's veyr easy to go to a thread, but not a particular post. The way the system works is this: Each thread is given an ID number and each post is given an ID number. The URL for every thread looks something like: www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/post.php?id= That would take you to the post. The actual page is /forums/post.php and the question mark tells the system some variable, in this case the ID, or thread, so it's post.php?id=363 for example. If you did post.php?id=363&post=112 it would take you to thread 363 and post 112 (it's not necessarily the 112th post in that thread; it's just the 112th post in the forums.) So the structure is post.php?id=363&post=112 where the post.php is the physical page, the question mark a symbol that means variable, the ID number the thread number, and the post number the post number. That's my basic primer on PHP webpages. :)

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Looking at that thread again i see that it was Sam who statred it, i would have swore i did it but hey, it was a while ago, also its seems like it was jour first post emrysgirl

Emrysgirl

yardgames said:
It's veyr easy to go to a thread, but not a particular post.
I tried what you said, but it didin't work. Or maybe I'm just too sleepy to read properly...why do I always end up reading this thread late at night:confused:?

Originally, I'd followed the link from my user cp and then just copied and pasted. So, I already had the link to the post.