PDA

View Full Version : Any update on Malcolm in the Middle DVDs?

Jo9
Oct 1, 2005, 12:18 PM
Its probably been said enough times on this forum but i was just wondering how come we are on season 7 now and theres only one dvd (Season 1) out of MITM? Are they going to release anymore?

tjpeople
Oct 1, 2005, 01:19 PM
They would like to but it has not be confirmed for reases because they cannot work out the rights for the music used and therefore cant release dvd's. Im not and expert other on here may know more details.

samboo1
Oct 1, 2005, 02:09 PM
Ive always wondered that as well, jo9. Thanks for asking.

admin
Oct 1, 2005, 04:33 PM
After the quick post-broadcast release of the first season of Malcolm In The Middle, Fox Home Entertainment looked forward to releasing The Complete Second Season on DVD as well. In fact, plans were originally made to have that set in consumer hands before 2003 was over.

So why the delay? The answer is given by Randy Salas, DVD Columnist and Entertainment Wire Editor at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. In his new article today, "Facing The Music: Legal Hurdles Can Keep TV Shows From Coming Out On DVD", Salas explains that music rights costs can affect more recent shows than WKRP In Cincinnati or Beverly Hill 90210:

'Malcolm' in a muddle

Even current shows can be problematic. Last year, Fox released a three-disc set of the first season of "Malcolm in the Middle," a show that debuted in 2000. The set sold well enough to merit a second-season release, but higher costs to clear the music have so far scuttled the project, (Fox Senior V.P. Peter) Staddon said.The article discusses how only the most recent TV series took into account the idea of clearing music for DVD and other home video uses at the same time as clearing it for broadcast, and that anything previous to a few years ago (the start of DVD's mass-market era) can run into this kind of trouble. "When they were creating these shows, they didn't pay for stuff they weren't going to use," TVShowsOnDVD owner Gord Lacey is quoted as saying. "Now it's coming back to bite them."

The problem is when FOX bought the music rights for broadcast they didn't think of buying them for home viewing on DVD/VHS as well! :D This article is from 2003, but it apperas the situation hasn't changed greatly in the past 2 or 3 years.

Dabney
Oct 1, 2005, 06:05 PM
So finally in december, the first season of malcolm in the middle will be published in germany, too. And Kinowelt, the compay which is responsible for the German release, said, that they plan to publish also further seasons (they talk about seasons 2 + 3), although they aren't published in the US yet. Kinowelt says that those music rights problems didn't exist here. And that makes me very glad...:) :D

Malcolm_Lover<3
Jan 10, 2006, 03:31 PM
Dabney do you by any chance know if this would be in all Europe?
Because i live in Belgium and i need season 1 (2,3...) on dvd :)

admin
Jan 10, 2006, 06:37 PM
We have an FAQ relating to this burning issue here http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/faq.php?faq=dvds2 newly made a few weeks ago. :D

yardgames
Jan 10, 2006, 06:45 PM
I wasn't aware of that. You should place a prominent link to that somewhere; it's a handy page. Can you make a sticky or announcement in the top of the Wilkerson Times?

admin
Jan 10, 2006, 06:52 PM
I wasn't aware of that. You should place a prominent link to that somewhere; it's a handy page. Can you make a sticky or announcement in the top of the Wilkerson Times?

Well, the idea was suggested here by tj http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1169 but it was pretty much ignored sadly. I started, but I can't come up with all the questions and answers myself! :D

tjpeople
Jan 11, 2006, 04:13 AM
ill do some questions when i have time. @ SAM Isnt the FAQ link at the top enought?

osoq
Jan 11, 2006, 06:51 AM
Anybody know if then that since season 7 started have they also been buying music rights for DVD in the current episodes?

yardgames
Jan 11, 2006, 08:52 PM
I assume so, but we can't be sure. :D The last I read, they began paying attention to it with the beginning of season 5, so 5, 6, and 7 (when it's done airing) should be cleared for DVDs.

Dabney
Jan 12, 2006, 09:44 AM
@malcolm_lover: They delayed it again!:mad:
2 weeks or something before it was planned to be published they canceled the date, and there is no further news. That's pretty weak...

Tyno
Jan 12, 2006, 01:21 PM
The first season has been delayed to the December 31st, 2006 in Germany...
We had some news a few months ago for the french DVD release (at Malcolm-France.com) and the States too, like a 2nd season release in this January, but clearly, my 20th Century Fox's contact was wrong. I'll get you news when I'll have some ! ;)

Malcolm_Lover<3
Jan 12, 2006, 02:24 PM
Dabney this really sucks.....:(
Tyno that's really long... and yes plz post more news when you have news:) thx!

Dabney
Jan 12, 2006, 04:45 PM
But this date (december 31) is just an alibi date. Very often the companys announce december 31 as a publish date when they don't know anything at all...

simon_4420
Jan 12, 2006, 05:00 PM
Europe sucks! I had to order the first season off amazon, but it's not coming until end of Jan/ beginning of Feb as I wouldn't pay those pirates extra to ship it a few days quicker. They wanted like $20 more, I don't know how much that works out to be, but I sure wasn't falling for that, Oh no!

admin
Jan 12, 2006, 05:39 PM
Europe sucks! I had to order the first season off amazon, but it's not coming until end of Jan/ beginning of Feb as I wouldn't pay those pirates extra to ship it a few days quicker. They wanted like $20 more, I don't know how much that works out to be, but I sure wasn't falling for that, Oh no!

If you hadn't already order it, I would have recommended Loaded247.com its free delivery and comes within a few days. Plus its only £19.99 - thats how much i bought it for.

yardgames
Jan 12, 2006, 06:19 PM
Dabney this really sucks.....:(
Tyno that's really long... and yes plz post more news when you have news:) thx!
Malcolm-Lover, I'd appreciate it if you could use correct grammar rather than txt speek, please, to make the forums easier to understand, especially for our non-native English speaking members. Thanks. :)

simon_4420
Jan 12, 2006, 06:28 PM
If you hadn't already order it, I would have recommended Loaded247.com its free delivery and comes within a few days. Plus its only £19.99 - thats how much i bought it for.

Ohh, shame I didn't know about that...lol. Nevermind, I think when I checked my bank statement that it only cost me a few more pounds. Thanks anyway Admin:)

Malcolm_Lover<3
Jan 14, 2006, 06:43 PM
Okay sorry yardgames i will do it next time promise!:)

xDarkDovex
Jan 28, 2006, 11:17 AM
I heard something about it not coming out because of something to do with the music?

Well, why isn't it out yet??

Thanks-

Tessa

yardgames
Jan 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
Our most-asked question. :) THe truth is, we don't know. Scroll up for what we know. If we learn anything, we share it.

Here's what we do know:
http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/faq.php?faq=general1

fr3akz
Mar 28, 2006, 03:14 PM
Is MITM season 2;3;4;5;6;7 going to come out on DVD???
ANy Informations about it?

simon_4420
Mar 28, 2006, 03:18 PM
No one really knows, but I'm sure they will. There were problems with music rights and cost. Someone else on here will know more and let you know:)

simon_4420
Mar 28, 2006, 03:19 PM
Check the FAQ sections for more information

Wildcat
Mar 28, 2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Fr3akz, Welcome to the forum. :) Unfortunetly no one has any information on the Malcolm DVDs. Any info that we have can be found in this thread and the FAQ that Simon mentioned at http://www.cybersplat.co.uk /forums/faq.php?faq=general1 (http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/faq.php?faq=general1). We're hoping that they'll release all seasons soon after the show ends in May. Hope this helps!

yardgames
Mar 28, 2006, 04:54 PM
Our best guess right now was made by MITM18 a few months ago: that they might release a box set following the finale. But that seems highly unlikely as that's just a month and a half away and we have no news on it. If they wanted to release it in time for the finale, seems as though they'd want to advertise it before then and no DVD website has any information yet....so we're just all sitting, waiting, wishing.

fr3akz
Mar 29, 2006, 08:03 AM
i found malcolm in the middle on ebay
season 1-6 for 60$
quite much for not knowing the quality
+ 7 $ shipping

rzombie1988
Mar 29, 2006, 09:22 AM
i found malcolm in the middle on ebay
season 1-6 for 60$
quite much for not knowing the quality
+ 7 $ shipping

That's somewhat of a rip off if you have cable. You could just tape all the episodes off the tv, like the guy who sold you it did.

tony_montana
Mar 29, 2006, 07:10 PM
Our best guess right now was made by MITM18 a few months ago: that they might release a box set following the finale. But that seems highly unlikely as that's just a month and a half away and we have no news on it. If they wanted to release it in time for the finale, seems as though they'd want to advertise it before then and no DVD website has any information yet....so we're just all sitting, waiting, wishing.

Not exactly. I found out that a box set of the final season of Friends was released THE DAY AFTER the show ended, without publicity or anything. It was just decided to realease it right after the show ended. To be honest, Im dearly hoping they do the same for Malcolm. Wouldn't that kick ass if the final season came out on dvd on Monday May 15, right after the show ends?:)

rzombie1988
Mar 29, 2006, 09:24 PM
Wouldn't that kick ass if the final season came out on dvd on Monday May 15, right after the show ends?:)

That would be great, so hopefully it will happen. I've seen all the episodes, but I'm still going to get those dvd's the day they come out.

tony_montana
Mar 29, 2006, 11:01 PM
Same here, man. Im already stashing away cash for the day they start releasing all the seasons! Ill be at the store the day it happens!:)

On a completely unrelated note, my next post is #300! Yay!:D

tjpeople
Apr 7, 2006, 11:30 AM
About DVD's on ebay, you have to wathc out anybody offering anything other than season 1 will be selling fakes! They are not the actual seasons. I do not advise buying then especailly at $60. It probs cost them $10. They will be epsidoes recored of the tv and put onto dvd. Ebay should take these down. You can report items on ebay - you may wish to do that.

Id love the dvd's to come out, but i dout it. Friends is in a different league.

sephiroth
May 2, 2006, 01:28 PM
I loved the Thanksgiving episode and when I saw Kirsten I was so in love. I wish I could have taped it but I didn't have a VCR and I don't know where I can get the DVD of the 5th season, or even if it's out. What other episodes is she in?

rzombie1988
May 2, 2006, 01:55 PM
The dvd's of any season except 1 may not ever come out. No one really knows when/if they will either.

If you keep watching, you may see the episode again. Afterall, it doesn't take them too long to go through the rotation. Check tv.com, find out the actress's name who played Kirsten, and then you'll be able to see if she was in any other episodes, by searching it on tv.com or imdb.com

yardgames
May 2, 2006, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the forums, sephiroth. As you've undoubtebly figured out by now, we don't know when or if the other seasons will be released on DVD, but we're all waiting and wishing.

I'd also like to take this oppotunity to remind you that we ask you use correct spelling and grammar rather than "txt speek" on this forum in order to maintain the high quality that we've become known for and to help our non-native English speakers better understand our conversations. You'll notice I took the liberty of changing your post for you.

If you ever have any questions or comments, feel free to PM myself or any of the other moderators, J. Wildcat and the infamously absent admin.

Thanks! :)