Is Malcolm "innapropiate"?

packer-backer

One of my friends who is twelve years old and is a huge malcolm fan is no longer allowed to watch it because her parents think that it is an innapropiate show. So I was thinking, if I had a child when would let her watch a show like this. I would probably let a twelve year old watch it but I dont have children so I dont really know, but what age is the age when you think you would allow your kids to watch shows like MITM???

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Thats werid, i just posted a thread thats sorta links with that! :D 12 is easily old enought, i mean as i say in my thread FOX tones down issue to make it more child friendly, but some parents are just strange....

packer-backer

Yeah, theyre are new shows like the war at home that are way more innapropiate than MITM. The way that the world is going I think that Malcolm is probably one of the most appropiate shows nowadays.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
IMO it is unfair for her not to be allowed to watch it when she's a huge fan of it, but all it takes is for the parents to see one scene, eg a scene about Hal and Lois 'making love', (which is WAY inappropriate and IMO should not and does not need to be in the show).

packer-backer

I believe the scene they saw that made them think it was innapropiate was the scene where Francis is a nude model in Future malcolm.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It is unjust for them to judge the show by having seen one scene. I'm not going to lie: there are some controversial things in the show, but you can't shelter your kid from them forever, and MITM is a much more mild way to be exposed to them than other methods.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
First of all, I think it is rediculous that they think nude modeling in inappropriate. I can't think of anything that is in Malcolm that I wouldn't let my children see at any age. Haven't you ever watched a movie that you haven't seen since you were a kid, and realized that it was filled with dirty jokes that you never noticed? Little kids don't notice things that are inappropriate. If they do notice it, then they already knew about it, and hearing it again isn't going to do anything. There might be some shows I wouldn't want my kids to watch, but I really don't think Malcolm would be one of them.

samboo1

Thats unfair!!:mad: I started watching MITM when i was about 11 and my mum used to watch it with me and she liked it! But i have some friends and their parents are like that. Well i do give that girl (i am right by saying girl arent i?) my sympathy.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
My parents started watching from Season 3, we were renting and only had 1 TV until our stuff arrived from NZ, and they liked it, and watched until halfway through Season 4 after Lois got pregnant & was on medication and Hal was complaining because they couldn't 'do it' for a week, and they didn't approve of that.

Wemboy

I don't see how Hal and Lois having sex (or not having sex), or even just discussing sex could be seen as an inappropriate part of a storyline. They're a married couple for a start, so that's what married couples tend to do, and also they have five kids! I hate to break this to you, but they didn't come flying in with a stork. And it's not like they actually show any detail, thank god! I don't mean this offensively, and i'm not trying to demean anyone's opinion, but let's just be realistic about this. Also in the commentary someone makes the point that they actually wanted to highlight the fact that Hal and Lois had a good sex life, as it is an integral part of their relationship.

By the way, i'd let my kids watch MITM regardless of their age, there's nothing inappropriate on the show in my view.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Your righ Tom, its just that in america and other places (now i dont mean to stereotype) espcially in the south some people have quite strong views about the depiction of sex on tv/media etc, for religious/social reasons etc.

allison

I agree with GKM and Wemboy. I also think these things aren´t inappropriate at all. And as Megan said kids don´t even realize these things and if they do, they knew about them, before. When I was younger I think I watched some movies where sex was mentioned and I don´t think I knew what it meant. As long as you don´t see it (now THAT would be gross:p ) I really don´t see a problem with it. It´s just realistic and I think that Malcolm, Dewey and Reese actually never talked about it (except for the Thanksgiving episode). In most other TV shows sex is a way more important topic.

And if these parents don´t want their children to watch mitm because of this, I´m sure they´ll find most sitcoms inappropriate since I can´t think of a single one where the parents never talked about sex or obviously were about to "do it" when they were lying in their beds (even in The Cosby show).

Reesefan639

I''m 11, and I watch it fine. My parents just look at it, and say, 2How can you watch this american trash?" they say that about all shows I like.

CJman327

Well I'm 9 and a half and my parents think it's fine! Except for Thanksgiving, that "part" in Carnival(get what I mean by "part"?;) ), and maybe a little bit in Long Drive and Forbidden Girlfriend.:D