Episode Titles

Emrysgirl

Until about a year back, I never paid any attention to, and frankly never knew episode titles for any show. But recently, I've been noticing them a lot, and they've actually been impacting my reaction to or opinion of the show.

In MitM, I notice when the title is not the Malcolm plotline. In earlier shows, this usually signified that something important to the essence of the character, and not just some occurance was going to be addressed. In recent shows, as the non Malcolm plots have gained importance, this isn't always true.

I love how all the episodes of SCRUBS are titled "My..." It reminds me of the fact that not only is this narrated by JD, it's also sort of through his perspective. Other characters may have other priorities, as we see in the "Her Story" and "His Story" episodes. Sometimes the titles draw attention to seemingly insignificant, but symbolatory parts of the plot (I'm thinking of "My Fruitcups".) and impress me as to how the entire ep can be summed up in those words.

Another show (an awesome awesome show!) with a set format for titles is Monk. All the episodes are titled "Mr. Monk...". This, I think, comes from the fact that set against other crime shows such as L&O and CSI, Monk is very 'respectable' and 'traditional' and deserving of the title 'Mr.'

How much do you give to episode titles, in MitM or other shows? Do you even notice them? Have you noticed any other shows with neat naming patterns?

packer-backer

In Seinfeld 179 out of the 180 episode titles start with "the". This was done to avoid spending so much time trying to come up with clever episode titles.

Emrysgirl

packer-backer said:
This was done to avoid spending so much time trying to come up with clever episode titles.
Ok:confused:...can't say I understand completely. I mean, you still have to come up with something to follw "The"

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Emrysgirl said:
Ok:confused:...can't say I understand completely. I mean, you still have to come up with something to follw "The"
As long as it's not "The One With" like Friends

Wemboy

Emrysgirl said:
Yeh you do, but the format means that the writers don't spend time trying to come up with clever titles, and can focus on the actual show instead. There aren't any in jokes, or complex references, just a direct reference to whats in the show. Jerry Seinfeld discusses this briefly on one of the dvds.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
The creators of Two and a Half Men used quotes from the episodes for the titles, but this wouldn't work for MITM since there are multiple storylines.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Family Guy originally had te word 'Death' in every episode name for about 3 episodes, and it was considered too hard to relate death to every plot, and death had ohing to do with the first three episodes.