Is Malcolm antisocial or just misunderstood

admin

Retired Administrator
Personally if I were to come across Malcolm in my school I would be one of those who would probably initially label him as antisocial. Someone that has to boast about his marks, tell me how clever he is etc. (As seen in "Stereo Store").

Infact we actually have someone in our school who does that and everyone hates him!

Maybe he's just misunderstood though, all he has got is his intelligence. He has no hobbies, is no longer good at a sport (no mention of Basketball since Season 5 and no mention of Rollerskating since season 1) he has had no friends except Stevie (Since Season 5 - Thanksgiving). Perhaps he feels that since thats all he's got to offer people thats what he'll tell them. People then don't want to know him, and he gets more depressed and more desperate to make new friends which in turn leads to a cycle where by no one wants to know him and he gets more and more desperate and depressed - leading to essentially what we had last season, this snivelling, grumbly, pathetic mess of a Malcolm.

Maybe this is just me waffling on to show arach that stimulating discussion still do occur, but I miss the more optimistic Malcolm of earlier seasons. In fact I would go as far as saying, I envied Malcolm in earlier seasons, he seemed popular, happy, many friends and cool. Now to me he's just uninteresting, unhappy, annoying and certainly not cool.

Any thoughts (of a stimulating, well written and constructive nature!) :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
You know me I allways write simulating and wel ritten (<---on purpose:D) thoughts. I agree i prefer malcolm to be a little bit more optomistic, i didnt want to but i began to dislike him a little in the last season, hopefully that will change with the new but who knows. I think he charector is surposed to be anoying but i wouldnt say anitsocial. ABout friends he seem ok, compared to reese as its mentioned a few times reese has no firends so malcolm aint that bad off.

samboo1

Yeah, i would'nt say anti-social. I'd say more pessimistic since he complains about everything, and as Admin mentioned he boasts a lot about his intelligence.

I think Frankie Muniz who plays Malcolm is getting slightly bored with his character although he is an extremely talented. My view on the question 'Is Malcolm antisocial or just misunderstood is well......... i personally don't think he is anywhere near as antisocial as Reese but is seen to be a bit in Reeses' direction in some episodes like Water Park, the classic 'we're even' episode and 'stock car races'. Also, Muniz is playing a moody adolescent boy. Malcolm is supposed to be moody, sad and a bit misunderstood at times like all 13-18 year old boys. Malcolm in some episodes is quite rebellious such as the great episode 'ida's boyfriend' where he gets his tounge pierced and tries to hide the lisp. That episode is a classic!

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I think Malcolm is just no good at interpersonal relations. He doesn't know how to interact with people in a way that will keep them from hating him. He's very negative and judgemental, and he doesn't know how to shut up about it. Actually, he can't shut up about it, as we see in Malcolm Holds His Tongue. Also, Company Picnic really shows why people don't like him, when that girl tells him exactly why she doesn't like him.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
At the age he is, you'd expect him to be hanging out with friends, always talking on the phone, going to parties (like in Thanksgiving) etc. But we have hardly seen that at all.

And hobbies - there have been a few episodes with him playing Basketball, but other than that it is never mentioned. Same with Reese and Hockey - mentioned about twice in High School Play and that was it.

Squeaky Yugi

The problem is that Malcolm always goes about solving problems the wrong way. Examples are "Chad's Sleepover" and "Old Mrs. Old" If he ha djust sat down and talked instead of trying to get revenge, things might have turned out better.

samboo1

The revenge part of Malcolm, for me, makes up a huge part of him. Thats why hes so bad behaved. Malcolm really does like to get revenge and prove he is better than the other person.