Member of the Week/Month Poll

Memebr of the Week, or Member of the Month?

• Member of the Month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Member of the Week

• Neither

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Retired Administrator
Member of the Week

On suggestion of someone (arach? Ryebeach? I can't remember), I have decided to create a member of the week thread. This gives the moderators and myself a chance to reward people we believe have put in real effort into the forums. In their posts, quality of posts/threads and other criteria, such as helpfulness to new members and how much you advertise the forums on other related sites.

We will not be taking nominations this week, but from next week we may well ask your opinions.

We will be looking for a member that not only posts frequently but posts quality, interest and can spark up debates within the forum.

The winner will receive a pretty banner to display in their signature for the week. Create by me, or if I can persuade him.. tjpeople - who we all know can create the most awesome of banners! :D I may even see if I can create a medal out of it.

The winner will also be credited with 100 reputation points.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Re: Member of the Week

Well ive done a banner took bout 40mins to do, im not sure about it 100% please give your opinions, i wanted to create something that stood out now green template is standard so i thought the purple would stand out well. or not?

not sure bout what text there should be?
also i was after a pic of the boys/family, celebarting/cheering as in the celbration of the member of week award, u guys think of any eps with a secne where they would be cheering/celebrating this was the best i could find - didint look 4 long tho.....

Ryebeach

Awesome banner TJ!! I think the purple is a nice contrast! Plus a pic from one of my favorite episodes too!! :D Nice!

PS: Your banner in your sig is very cool TJ. :cool:

allison

Really nice job, tjpeople. ;) I think the member of the week thing is a funny idea (I suppose it was Ryebeach´s idea, because of the safesearching board, but I don´t know) :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

It was Ryebeach's idea, although I think we modified it just a tad, didn't we? I like the banner, but TJ, I think all your banners are too wide. Call me cheap for just having an 800x600 display, but every time one of your banners shows up in your posts, I have to scroll right to read everything. I like the banners, I just don't like how wide they are. :)

Emrysgirl

Nice banner tj! The purple does go well with green. If you're looking for celebration scenes, there's the scene in Mrs. Tri-County where they're all clapping, but that doesn't have Reese or Lois in it.

Hey, I may be going against the grain here, but I dont entirely agree with the member of the week concept, I think it could result in the forums becoming too dependant on awards and rep points. I like the idea of giving someone rep points if theyve put effort into something that benefits the vc or posted a really interesting comment or thread and the occasional award for the same reason. However certain members have become to a certain extent obsessed with the attainment of these type of awards and creating another award that would be given so frequently, could, in certain cases create some hostility within the forum. Maybe a member of the month would be sufficient, surely the rep points would serve the same purpose as a member of the week, as they would just commend someone on their acheivment for that week, rather than for a collective achievement over a month( or quarter as is the current- and my prefered- method of commendation)

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I am wary of out like Deweyrules mentions, but I guess there's some principle where if everyone's doing it, then everyone else wants to go with the grain, and I would tend to go with the grain, even if I disagree with it.

I think that having a Member of the Week makes the Best Member awards less special, but Ryebeach says that it works well over at his forums, so maybe it's worth a try.

Yeah, I agree that if the majority wants it theres no point in one cynical individual desperatly opposing it, however I do feel that if the award were to be made monthly, there would be more information to base nominations and awards on.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Like I say, I agree with you, but find it difficult to go against the tide. We must convince the first amongst us equals...David! :)

CJman327

Wow, how do you do that, TJ??!! I've been wanting to do that, but I don't think I have that kind of software(not computer-wise, I mean software to create a cool banner like that). Anyway before this is closed for getting off-topic, I agree with that "Banner Award" thing and also it would be awesome to have a Member Of The Week thing!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Member of the Month is too close to the Best Member Award. Member of the Week seems like it's a door prize almost. Like, "Congrats, your member of the week, well, everyone else is too."

allison

yardgames said:
I think that having a Member of the Week makes the Best Member awards less special, but Ryebeach says that it works well over at his forums, so maybe it's worth a try.
I´m not really sure, but I think at safesearching (Ryebeach´s forums) you don´t really have to do anything special to become member of the week. I mean it´s not about reputation points etc. If you frequently post and visit the board, you´ll become member of the week one day. (This is at least what I think. I think Ryebeach explained it that way).
But I also think that "member of the month" would be better if your chances of receiving that award depend on the quality of your posts. As Deweyrules said there would be more information to base nominations and awards on.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

even thought ive made the banner, i agree, fisrtly member of the month would be less work to organise and it would mean something where as memeber of the week wouldunt. i'd happy edit the banner.

arach

I'm for member of the month, because of the reasons above. But I don't really care, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Seems support for member of the month is present, is it possible to do my favourite thing (sense the irony) and take a poll??

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Member of the Week/Month poll

I did what I did with the "which brother ar you quiz" thing. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.