Clipshows

Wemboy

I've been wondering for a while now what the deal is with clipshows. It seems that at some point every show has at least one or two, even shows like MITM which are consistently creative and original. I always just assumed that they were made to fulfil some kind of episode quota when the writers didn't have any ideas for a new episode, but that doesn't seem to follow when the writers don't appear to be struggling for ideas elsewhere. So i thought maybe there's another reason for them, like networks demand them or something? (I'm thinking MITM18 might know the answer to this:) ) Just wondered if anyone knew really?

Also, do you lot share the same sinking feeling that i get when i turn on a show only to discover that it's an episode of clips? it always really disappoints me. To be fair, the MITM clip shows haven't been too bad. The first one's quite good, and is rated at four stars on the episode guide, but the second one is more of a standard clip show in my view and is rated accordingly; although there is some good insight into Lois and Hals relationship. So what do you lot think of the MITM clipshows, and clipshows in general? Are they boring, or do they serve a real purpose, keeping the audience, up to date and providing a sense of continuity?

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I usually hate clip shows. Malcolm clip shows, I don't really mind. I think because Malcolm has so many moments that can stand alone, and be wonderful and hilarious out of context. I actually enjoyed them the first time I saw them. I liked watching and going "oh yeah, I remember that! That was great!"

I was always under the impression that they are forced to do a clip show every now and then. I'm not sure where I got that from, so it might be completely wrong. I think there was some clip show, maybe it was a simpsons clip show, where they made some sort of comment about how they were being forced to do it. Some sort of "Yeah, clip shows suck, but we have to make one" type comment. Again, I could totally be making this up.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
theblinddevil said:
but it's also nice when you watch one where you haven't seen many of the clips, so it's not so much of a repeat.
When I first saw Clip Show #1 there were clips from a few episodes I had either not seen or missed the start of.

One thing they should have done was have subtitles of which episode each clip came from, because there were also a few clips that, while I had seen them before, I couldn't remember which episode they were from. Would have saved a lot of time searching online (back in the days before I knew of the MITMVC).

Emrysgirl

1st Q - I have absolutely no idea why they make clip shows. (What a pointless answer! I'm going to add a little BS to justify this post.) Maybe it's for when actors can't be there for the filming and they can't write them out. Or if too many actors can't be there. Or maybe they are really are out of ideas and the eps around them were actually written much earlier. Or maybe the preceeding or following eps took so long to film/write that they didn't have enough time to do another one. (That should be enough.)

2nd Q - Like Vincent said, clip shows aren't that bad if the background plot is good. That's why I actually watched the entireity (I don't know how to spell that) of the MitM clip shows. Also, their clips looked more like flashbacks than just randomly thrown together scenes i.e. they had a pattern to them. And as someone watching syndicated eps, I was happy to see so many of the cold opens I had missed.

Other than MitM, I dislike clip shows immensly, especially the Friends one. Somehow, they seemed to choose the worst (most sappy and unfunny) clips. And there was little to no background story.

Ryebeach

To me, there are two types of clipshows. The first is the type that just throw together random scenes from the past to pass a half-hour or so it seems. The other is when there is a small storyline in which flashbacks and, in effect, clips are needed to tell said story. I much prefer the latter to the former. I think clipshows are a good thing if used in conjunction with a storyline. They can be used to bring new viewers up to speed with what has happened over the seasons and by doing so, very possibly get that new viewer to stick around week after week. I know with me, if I haven't seen a show for the first couple of seasons and then happen to tune in one week, even if I really like the episode I see, I will rarely watch it again as I feel as though I'm way out in left field as I don't the characters, the history, the relationships et al. By having a clipshow, that would help me, albeit to a lesser degree than if I'd watch the series since day 1, but still help me understand the dynamics of the show and the characters nonetheless. I feel that is what MITM has done with their clipshows and I think they were handled very well as, again, they weren't just random clips thrown together to pass a half hour. Other series, such as Friends, which Emrysgirl mentioned just seemed to throw together their clipshows and as a loyal audience member, I felt cheated.

Also, I think every series towards the end of their run, should have a clipshow, if for no other reason, as a tribute to its history and for nostalgic purposes. I do hope we see a clip show this season on MITM if indeed, this is the final season. It's hard to explain but I feel having one would make the end just a tad easier to bear for longtime viewers. For me personally, I feel it will bring back memories of what I enjoyed and remind me that the show is going out on top, it had a great run, and that I enjoyed every smile, every chucke and every laugh I had while watching MITM these past 7 seasons.

Wemboy

@Garbage Kills Megan: I remember at least one instance in the Simpsons where during a clipshow they made a kind of knowing, smile to the audience type joke about clipshows essentially being a disappointment for the audience; which by the way is not particularly funny if you then have to watch said disappointing episode. I think there's even an episode called "not another clipshow" or something along those lines, but that could just be me making that up. That's where i got the idea that maybe they were forced to do clipshows by the network. I remember watching the Simpsons laugh at themselves for doing lame clipshows and thinking well if they know we don't really want to watch them them, why make them! It just seems like delibrately annoying the audience.

Still, I agree that they can serve a purpose, as a way of catching up for those who are late-comers to the show, and also to highlight continuity. This doesn't really work with the Simpsons, because essentially there is no continuity, otherwise the kids would be grown up by now. I guess that's why with careful writing, the MITM clipshows can be more watchable. I also agree with Ryebeach that at some point in season seven a clipshow wouldn't go amiss, just as a way of remembering some funny events from past seasons.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Clipshows are also a good way to learn of a character's past, or a show's past, like "before" the 1st season. The birth of Malcolm, Francis' childhood, ect.

arach

I have nothing against clipshows. In fact, I like to see the best scenes of a show again in a summery. And in the way they did the clipshows in MitM, with a storyline between the clips, it's even more fun. But a storyline needn't to be there to satisfy me. I would also like it when it was like the movies allison made for us.

In my opinion, clipshows are really nice for nostalgic reasons. Of course, if you want to see a new episode with a new storyline again, and instead you get a clipshow, it can sometimes be pretty annoying. But in general, I think they are a good thing.