What is the deal with with Muniz's voice?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnfields

I tuned to watch MITM last night for the first time in a very long time. I had to change the channel after about ten minutes because of Muniz's voice! It was so grating.

He still has that same forced delivery that irritates me but what really got me is that it sounded like he has marbles in his mouth.

What is the deal with his voice? Has he developed a speech impediment?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
We don't know which ep this person saw. I think in the sixth season (and nearer the end of the fifth) his voice started to become less marbly, if you will.

MITM18

Even though this is really inapporpriate, males/females can get puberty when they are early or later in teenage years, means nothing in the end.

ReMoss85

True, this is getting slightly awkward to talk about, but he had a perfectly normal low voice throughout season three and four. Then in season five, and I think up through season six, though perhaps not quite as bad, it was "marbly". Not any lower or more adult, just marbly.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I always thought it was a bit squeaky in seasons 1 and 2, but I always thought it sort of added to the innocence of the show, and I never noticed anything marbly after season 3.

theblinddevil

jnfields said:
... I had to change the channel after about ten minutes because of Muniz's voice!.....
Turning off mitm would need something tons worse than Frankie's voice, well for me anyway :D. I don't find it annoying though, i guess you must.

jnfields

I saw the episode Fox aired this past Sunday night...the one where the parents start "Tiki Time" and Malcom becomes a "Booster" at school...

All the people claiming puberty is the answer...I don't think so...I have never known anyone that developed what truly sounds like a speech impediment while going through puberty.

jnfields

NO WAY! I used to watch MITM all the time and there is a distict difference. I can understand a voice changing...I'm a male who went through puberty...but Frankie has a speech issue. Watch that episode again when it comes on and listen to his delivery. I'm not trying to rag on him, but I was just sitting there dumb founded because if he sounds like that for good now his movie career is done.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Welcome to the forums. I'm not saying his voice hasn't changed--because it definitely has. But I thought the biggest changes were really during seasons 2 and 3; now it seems to have leveled off a bit.

Emrysgirl

His career isn't necessarily over. There are actors with speech impediments. e.g. Loraine Brocco (is that her name?) and Orlando Bloom. Ok, bad examples but still.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I totally understand what you are talking about. His voice has not only gotten lower, but just recently has gotten, well, just different. It's hard to explain. It just sounds different. I wouldn't call it an impediment, though. I would like to hear him talk as just himself, not as malcolm, to see if it still shows a lot then too. I don't know if anyone has ever noticed, but Frankie talks a little different in real life than when he is acting as Malcolm. He's a little more forceful sounding when he's playing Malcolm.

and what speech impediment does orlando bloom have?

arach

Hmmm...
I don't really know what you all mean. I didn't notice that Frankie's voice had changed lately. All I know is that he has that (sometimes annoying) scratchy voice, but he had that before puberty too. He always seemed to have an unusual voice.
Maybe he hasn't finished with puberty yet.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Frankie as Malcolm sounds more "forceful" as you put it because he's reading from a script. If you listen to him as himself, he just sort of stumbles around a lot. Basically, I would call him a not-very-graceful-speaker. Although I don't think he sounds different, I just think he stumbles if he's not told what to say.

jnfields

I wouldn't say he is "forceful" sounding on MITM he just sounds "forced"...does that make sense?

I can't say that I've seen his movies so if I'm way off base just tell me, but I don't think he is a good actor at this point. EVERYTHING he says that I have seen on somewhat recent episodes where he is older sounds like he is reading a cue card for the first time. All the other actors on that show sound very natural but not Frankie. I would like to know what other people think on this - When the show came on, Malcolm carried the show...now it is carried by the parents, and his brothers...true or not?

I think he was cast in the role originally because he was good for his age and looked the part but he has not grown as an actor since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.