A rather random thread about a TV show, starting your own country, & the Dubai Creek

A rather random thread about a TV show, starting your own country, & the Dubai Creek

This is more for UK residents, did anyone see the how to start your own country programme on bbc 2 last night. What were your oppinions, I thought it was really funny, and to a certain extent informative- giving details of loopholes in law- Sealand.:D

Dewey

Minimalistic
Re: How to start a country

You mean that was on LAST night?

I intended to see this TV programme, but I didn't realise it was on. Was it any good? Was it all really serious and political, or were there also elements to make it entertaining also?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Yes, how would you do that? I am curious, does amassing a huge arsenal of atomic weapons and/or armed forces speed the process, or even help? ;) :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I hope we don't have the next Adolf Hitler talking to us on these boards. :)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

yardgames said:
I hope we don't have the next Adolf Hitler talking to us on these boards. :)
No. I will bring interstealer flight and science advances beyond belief, Hitler just drove Nazi Germany into a death sprial. I would use all the power for good, and for making countries who don't join me pay(joking).:D

Its basically more of a comedy, where this comedy writer guy decides he wants to start his own country, by doing so he is highlighting loopholes in international law. The fact his new country is actually his flat in east london proves this. He uses the example of Sealand, a small WWII post to the east of England in the north sea, which is now an independant country, although it is about 12ft by 12ft in the sea.lol.

If you wan any more details go to the website- www.citizensrequired.com

@dewey- the main focus wasnt necessarily the politics, there was a lot of comedy:D

Dewey

Minimalistic

Yeah, Sealand... I've seen that before. In the past it has been used for TV commercials. I had no idea it was an independent country.

I wonder if you could legally watch a video there!

Dewey

Minimalistic

I've kind of been inspired to set up my own country. A bit like Sealand, but on one of England's other coasts.

I would call it 'New-Sealand.'

Lol! I guess you could set up the new- sealand, however you would need to own some land. I dont think you could watch videos publicly on it, unless they were made by SBC (Sealand Broadcasting Corporation):D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Of course, if you wanted your country to co-exist with other countries, you would still have to follow international copyright laws.

Dewey

Minimalistic

It must be so cool to start up a new country. If i was to launch New-Sealand i would introduce my own:

• Flag
  • Stamps
  • Currency (the New-Sealand dollar)
  • Passports of my own design
  • Government - i would be the PM
  • Defence - i'd need a good army
I bet theres tons of other cool stuff associated with having your own country.

Dewey

Minimalistic

Emrysgirl said:
PM? I'd go straight for Empress (or goddess if I could find subjects dumb enough to buy that):D.
So you would be an autocratic leader. A ruthless dictator?
Would that mean introducing a regime too?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

I'd be a whole new title:

Supreme Galatic Emporer

I'd also be the Defence Minister, Minister of Foriegn Affairs, and Minister of Technology, oh yeah, and Secretary of the Secret Security Office. No, not a dictator, there are still some other office in my goverment, travel, health, education, ect.

I'd lay claim to the whole Milky Way and Andromada Galaxies. No way to escape if you're a crminal. It would be an Empire, not a regime for me, and Emrysgirl too, Empire, regime is for dictators. Join my cause now and high ranking positions become yours...:D

Dewey said:
It must be so cool to start up a new country. If i was to launch New-Sealand i would introduce my own:

• Flag
  • Stamps
  • Currency (the New-Sealand dollar)
  • Passports of my own design
  • Government - i would be the PM
  • Defence - i'd need a good army
I bet theres tons of other cool stuff associated with having your own country.
Thats the point of the program, he wants to introduce his own flag, stamps, currency etc. His defence secretary is an ex tesco security guard:D

Dewey

Minimalistic

It sounds like a cool TV show - I'll be sure to watch it next week.

Emrysgirl

Dewey said:
So you would be an autocratic leader. A ruthless dictator?
Would that mean introducing a regime too?
Of course:D! But, all my subjects would be perfect. They'd be no one to be "ruthless" to.

"And anyone stupid would be ground up for food." :D

J. said:
there are still some other office in my goverment, travel, health, education, ect.
Not education? No plans to brainwash the young:eek::D?

@Dewey I can't make out what you're new avatar is.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

And we can't forget to shoot the wise counsel of elders.

@Emrysgirl- why must I brainwash them at school if they are already brainwashed from implants in their brains at birth. See, all the bases are covered, unless of course, aliens are more powerfull then me.