FOX Connects To The Next Generation of TV With Podcast Tech

MITM18

To enrich the television experience for fans and offer on-demand audio programming, Fox Broadcasting Company is now providing podcasts of episode recaps for all its series. These "FOXCASTS" enable viewers to download audio recaps of their favorite shows to their MP3 player or listen to them on their computer anywhere, anytime.

Beginning today, a centralized web page containing every FOXCAST will be accessible from FOX.com as well as each show's individual website. Additionally, FOX will offer RSS feed subscription options, which means that users can have the podcasts automatically downloaded to the player of their choice each time a new one becomes available. "It's important to take advantage of every avenue available and talk directly to our audience," said Carolyn Gray, Vice President of New Media at FOX. "Podcasts are an emerging and important platform, and we want to be at the forefront of their application to our young and first adopter viewers."

FOX will also take the innovative technology one step further and offer DVD-style content on select shows. This will give fans access to exclusive cast interviews, special event coverage and custom audio programs. The debut of this content will coincide with the premiere of PRISON BREAK Monday, Aug. 29 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). Additionally, recaps of entire seasons of select shows such as 24 and ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, premiering Monday, Sept. 19 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT), will be built into podcast packages that can be downloaded prior to season premieres.

http://www.fox.com/foxcast/

Ryebeach

I had read about this the other day. Thanks for the article MITM18. My, the world sure is changing, at least that's how I see it, with all this new technology and such. I best get on the bandwagon and pick up a MP3 player or I'm going to be left in the dust.:D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You don't even have an mp3 player yet!? You are a dinosaur! Kinda like my dad. lol how did you get started with a show aimed at the teenage and early 20's demographic?

MITM18

Its an interesting idea that FOX has started that its nice to hear a summary of what went on in a previous episode, but I'd really like it if it was a narrator combined with actual dialogue from the show like the future episode commericals.

admin

Retired Administrator
I don't fully understand what podcasting is. Do you have to download it first then view it, or is it automatically sent to your mp3 player?

Dewey

Minimalistic
I've taken a look at the link, and its an interesting concept. I am gererally interested in podcasting, and looking at Fox's site has given me some inspiration.

My idea is this:
Why not get ahead of Fox by introducing podcasts to this site? I would be willing to make audio versions of my reviews for each episode. I could also introduce debate from various academics, via interviews to discuss issues (philosophical, psychological and cultural) that are covered in the episodes.

I'm not big with modern technology, so I'm not sure of what i would require to get started. I do own a dictaphone (with cassettes) - is there aanyway to convert that audio into data on my computer?

Any way, i was just wondering if it could be possible - i'd could start things out, but others could also poduce their own podcastss if they were so willing.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It would be much easier if you had an electronic microphone, although if you have a laptop, give it a thorough check; many include one that is discretely hidden--it often looks like a small black pit.

I wrote an excellent article (not that I want to brag, or anything) on podcasting, available here:
http://www.futuretechnologiesinc.com/newsletters/7-2005.pdf
It's a PDF file, but the article of interest is the first one right at the top of the page. Some people were wondering about RSS/XML; there's a nice article about that in there as well, just below the podcasting.