Syndicated Episodes

reese35

Those of you living in the States know that "Malcolm in the Middle"'s in syndication. What's your opinion? I'll give you mine.

THEY DISGUST ME!:mad:

The episode is planned around the commercial time! At least where I watch it (WKCF WB18). Most episodes, the cold opener is cut off! Some episodes, 2-parters are made into 3-parters (Zoo, Reese's Party, Sleepover, Water Park, Home Alone 4. Need I say more?); but all episodes have a at least 3 minutes trimmed off! They may not mean much to you, but to me, they're a biggie. Even scenes in select episodes are nixed (Reese's Apartment [When Reese is watching TV and hears his neighbors talking], Malcolm Babysits [When Malcolm is talking to Francis]). In the Pilot, in addition to the cold opener and the minutes, Malcolm's closing monologue is cut off too! But, again, what's your opinion? Because I'm thinking of starting a petition to get those episodes uncut (cold openers, minutes, scenes and all).

Hendrix

They're cut for time. Just like every single syndicated show ever. What do you mean two-parters made into 'three-parters'?

Hendrix

reese35 said:
Really? I could have sworn 'The Simpsons' got the exception.
The Simpsons is cut for time as well. I could be wrong, though. Like the one episode where Bart and Lisa kept asking "Can we go to Mount Splashmore" continuously. In the original episode they said it like 10 times. In the syndicated version, they said it like 3.

Emrysgirl

It is very annoying, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's disgusting or wrong. It's all the more incentive to buy the DVD.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Well, I have season one on dvd already, and just yesterday I saw a season one episode on tv. They made a really sloppy and obvious cut. It was pretty bad. It can be kind of frustrating to watch that.

reese35

"Krelboyne Picnic"? Which part - when the adults were confronting Caroline or near the end when Caroline was bragging about the picnic?

samboo1

i dont want to sound dumb or any thing but may i ask what syndication means. im guessing judging by your comments it means that the episodes are being cut down but i cant be sure,thanks.:eek:

Ryebeach

samboo1 said:
i dont want to sound dumb or any thing but may i ask what syndication means. im guessing judging by your comments it means that the episodes are being cut down but i cant be sure,thanks.:eek:
There are many different types of syndication. For example, there is cable syndication where a shows production company sells the rights to broadcast the show to a cable network. In MITM's case, those rights were sold to the FX network for a Fall 2007 cable debut. Also, last september MITM debuted in syndication on a daily basis. This type of syndication is usually done after a show has produced a certain amount of episodes, usually 100. MITM reached it's 100th episode milestone in February 2004 and thus debuted in daily syndication in September 2004. As you mentioned, often minutes of a show do need to be cut in order for the networks that are airing the show in syndication to produce more revenue form advertisers in the form of the commercials that we see. The cold openers are what's often cut from MITM to accomadate this need.

samboo1

Ryebeach said:
There are many different types of syndication. For example, there is cable syndication where a shows production company sells the rights to broadcast the show to a cable network. In MITM's case, those rights were sold to the FX network for a Fall 2007 cable debut. Also, last september MITM debuted in syndication on a daily basis. This type of syndication is usually done after a show has produced a certain amount of episodes, usually 100. MITM reached it's 100th episode milestone in February 2004 and thus debuted in daily syndication in September 2004. As you mentioned, often minutes of a show do need to be cut in order for the networks that are airing the show in syndication to produce more revenue form advertisers in the form of the commercials that we see. The cold openers are what's often cut from MITM to accomadate this need.
Thanks, you explained it really well. Just what i needed. Thanks again.:)

reese35

Ryebeach said:
Well, I've been hoping Malcolm will air on FX. Just didn't know when. Gracias!

packer-backer

I also hate syndicated episodes. Not only do they take away time from the episode, it also means you have to sit through more boring comercials.:mad:

cadetspangler

Yeah, they do delete stuff...I noticed tere was a part in The Bots and The Bees where Hal comes up close to Craig and is like "
Listen here chubs..." but on FOX it just cuts to the "say uncle" part...