Autographs

theblinddevil

I noticed that ebay has tons of autographed photos, pictures.. etc, and i think that an autograph is only really good if you got it yourself, sort of to remind you that you were there and that you met them. I was just wondering what everyone else thought, is an autograph only important to you if you got it signed yourself, or does one off ebay have the same importance? Also would you ever buy a signed picture, and if so, what makes it worth buying? It would be nice to hear peoples opinions on this :D

MITM18

Also you shouldnt trust autographs on ebay unless they have a document of authenticity and that can be forged aswell.

Buying autographs is something I would never do, I usually just ask if they could sign something

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I wouldn`t buy one, either. Who knows if the person really signed it himself/herself. The only autographs i own were signed in front of my eyes...:)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
For me, an autograph could never hold as much meaning as the actual meeting of the person, and purchasing the autograph certainly wouldn't do that.

Dewey

Minimalistic
I have had my MITM season 1 DVD boxset autographed. Not by any of the cast members, but by Gordon Burns, the host of the 80s TV quiz show: 'The Krypton Factor'.

I saw the TV presenter at York train station, and knew that the chances of meeting any of the MITM stars are almost nil, so I grabbed the opportunity. (The DVD was in my bag). I still remeber the look of confusion in his eyes when I asked him to sign the DVD. But he thought it was rather funny.

I also had my 'Urban Hymm's' album signed, not by Richard Ashcroft but by Roy Baraclough, the man that played Alec Gilroy in Coronation Street. Also for the same reason, that I would have no chance in meeting the REAL stars.

If I get anything else signed by a second-rate nobody, I'll let you all know!

MITM18

yardgames said:
For me, an autograph could never hold as much meaning as the actual meeting of the person, and purchasing the autograph certainly wouldn't do that.
Yeah, the memory of meeting the person is in the autograph.

Jimmy Junior

Dr_Nyman said:
I have had my MITM season 1 DVD boxset autographed. Not by any of the cast members, but by Gordon Burns, the host of the 80s TV quiz show: 'The Krypton Factor'.

I saw the TV presenter at York train station, and knew that the chances of meeting any of the MITM stars are almost nil, so I grabbed the opportunity. (The DVD was in my bag). I still remeber the look of confusion in his eyes when I asked him to sign the DVD. But he thought it was rather funny.

I also had my 'Urban Hymm's' album signed, not by Richard Ashcroft but by Roy Baraclough, the man that played Alec Gilroy in Coronation Street. Also for the same reason, that I would have no chance in meeting the REAL stars.

If I get anything else signed by a second-rate nobody, I'll let you all know!
LOL! That's quite funny actually.
A picture is worth a thousand words:
misc_connery.gif

Jimmy Junior

I've never been a big fan of autographs, I'd certainly never buy one without seeing the celebrity actually signing it.
I know that a lot of celebrities hate signing autographs and in the circumstances under which I've met them it wouldn't have been appropriate to ask for an autograph, or I would have looked like a real brown-noser.

Emrysgirl

I don't think I have any autographs. I agree that they only mean something as a reminder of meeting that person.

Jimmy Junior

Not all celebrities hate doing autographs - Chris Eubank often walks around town with a load of photographs of himself, ready to sign.

admin

Retired Administrator
I haven't read all of this thread, so sorry if I reiterate what someone has already said.

Personally I am an oppurtunitic autrograph getter, I don't go out of my way, but if Angelina Jolie walks into our John Lewis, or Ozzie Osbourne into our Tesco (both of which have happened) I will quite happy rip the back off my cereal packet and ask them to sign!

The meeting I believe is the memory which the autograph triggers, I will never buy autographs, legitimate or not, because it is not me who got it, I didn't shake hands with the celebrity, use my paper and my pen, say hello to them etc.

There are some people out there who collect autographs off ebay, I would prefer to meet one famous celebrity and get there autograph and pay £1,000s to get hundred celebrities autographs

Jimmy Junior

MITM18 said:
Of course not all, I meant by like some celebs
Fair enough - I just thought Chris Eubank was a prime example of a minor celebrity who loves to sign autographs; apparently he's been seen slowly walking down the seafront in the summer, buying a bottle of water in every bar and cafe waiting for people to ask him for his autograph.

Dewey

Minimalistic
To speak in favour of autographs, i have a friend that owns a pub (yes, that really is as good as it sounds!), and his bar area is full of signed photographs on the walls.

Some are originals, which he has reproduced (himself) so there is not the risk of getting damaged or stolen (the real things kept safe upstairs)

Others have been purchased at such low prices that they cannot possibly be real.

- but the thing is, the punters can never tell the difference (espeially after a couple of pints). His collection kind of sells the pub - almost everyuone shows some sign of interest.