The baby question...

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
In our speculations about season 7, a lot of people have been talking about Francis and Piama having a baby. I was wondering what everyone thought about that:

First of all, would you, personally, like to see them have a baby? Is this a plotline that you are hoping for?

Second, regardless of whether or not you would like this to happen, do you think the writers will make it happen? Do you think it is likely that we will see them having a baby in season 7?

My thoughts: I really don't care either way if they have a baby. If they didn't, I wouldn't feel cheated. If they did, I wouldn't mind.

I'm not sure if it will happen or not. Either way seems to be a possibility. Piama did say that she hates kids and doesn't want to have any. So, I don't think they will have a kid intentionally, but that doesn't mean they won't have one. Hal and Lois didn't plan on any of their kids.

What do you guys think?

Ryebeach

In truth, I wouldn't mind one way or another but as I said in an earlier post, I think by Fancis and Piama having a baby it will be cause for Francis to finally settle down and perhaps get a long-term job. I think he'd make a great father and I also think it would make for some great plotlines in season 7 dealing with Francis and Piama's struggles and the comedic moments of first time parents. Another positive of this scenario, we would get to see Francis and Piama more in season 7 than we did in season 6.:)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
However, as someone else mentioned, Francis is really a lot like Hal around Piama, who acts quite a bit like Lois. I think all we would see here is a parents vs. children redux, and I think that would be rather redundant.

Of course, I may be underestimating the writers. Eps with flashbacks have always fascinated me, and if they could find an excellent way to weave in some good flashbacks back to Francis' own childhood, I think we could have a quality couple of episodes here.

Ryebeach

I do like the episodes which contain flashbacks. They give the viewers a real sense as to what contributed to getting Hal and Lois to be the people they are today. More of that would be a very good thing.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Having a baby would really make Francis have a good life. We can't have that now could we? Unless they were triplets...

Wemboy

I think they could come up with some original ways to tackle Francis and Piama's first struggles with parenthood. It would definitely have to be an accidental pregnancy, and I reckon J's idea of triplets would be funny, just to throw their world into even more turmoil. I also agree that it would be nice if the baby/ies turned out to be girls; i can imagine Francis being prepared for boys, and thinking he knows it all because of the way he was as a kid, and then being completely lost when he has to suddenly look after girls.

In terms of episode formats they could definitely do a flashback episode. I also reckon they could do an episode which contrasted the parenting styles of Francis & Piama with Hal & Lois. Given how obsessed with his mother Francis is I could see him vowing never to act like she does, and then winding up doing exactly the same kinds of things she does. Also, seeing as both sets of parents would have very young children they could do two storylines that run concurrently and play them off against each other for comic effect.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That's exactly what I can see, but I have the exact opposite opinion. We already saw the boys as girls in "If Boys Were Girls" and that's enough for me. If Francis ends up doing the same thing as Lois, why do we need an episode for that? The whole thing just seems a bit redundant.

I think that if Francis and Piama were to have a baby, it would provide a resolution to the series, ensuring that Francis would settle down (to a certain extent) but more importantly it would probably reflect the parenting of Louis and Hal- as in earlier series, similarities between Piama and Lois and Francis and Hal have been demonstrated.

arach

I guess it depends on the storyline. Under which circumstances they have a baby and so on... I guess this could be a really creative episode, but it could also be a mess.

Anyways, I already told you about my vision of the last Malcolm in the Middle episode. It would be so nice to see piama getting a baby, whose first action is to punch francis in the face or pee on him. That would make sure that the story of the chaotic, "ill-bread" Wilkersons goes on. Would make a good ending, wouldn't it? :)

But I don't really think they will have a baby in Season 7. I assume that because we saw Francis so rarely in Season 6, almost as if he wasn't part of the show anymore. I would really want to see him more often again. But I don't care now if they will have a baby or not, because it all depends about the whole storyline and situation. I can be a funny thing and it can be a flop.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I actually don't like the idea of Francis and Piama having a baby. I just can't imagine that they would do well with a child and it's also weird that jamie and this baby were nearly the same age (i.e. that the grandparents and their children have same aged kids), although this does also happen in real life. I can't explain it well, i know.

But i don't think that the writers will do anything like that. I fear that the characters of Francis and Piama will appear even less than in season 6, which i wouldn't like either.

Jimmy Junior

Personally I wouldn't like to see Francis and Piama have children - If he had children Francis would be forced to settle down and act responsibly all the time; I still think it's funny when the boys do stupid things and act childishly, such as the recent episode where Francis made Dewey drink all that stagnant water to 'be part of the Brotherhood'.

On the other hand triplets sounds interesting, but only as a 'If Boys were Girls' style fantasy episode - as a permenant fixture I reckon there'd just be too many people in the cast, and too much danger of a spin-off.

Wemboy

I'd never really thought seriously about there being a spin-off from MITM but you're right in saying that the wirters should avoid that option. It's also true that if the series were to run for too long with Francis, Piama and their three kids, the writing could get rather confused and muddled. If this storyline was worked in then I think they'd have to remain as incidental characters and not play a central role, or just have them be introduced at the very end of the series, like some people have been saying.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I definitely agree a spin-off should be avoided. MITM is an absolutely fantastic series, but too much of a good thing is never good.

MITM-Fan

I think this would be a big surprise. Especially since Francis was rarely seen in the episodes and then *boom* this news. Oh my god, this will kill Lois! :D

:cool: