Alternate Theme Tune

The 'They Might Be Giants' theme tune has obviously become associted with MITM, but as many of the discussions have shown problems with the music rights (in relation to DVD) have occured. Can anyone think of another theme tune they think would be suitable for Malcolm in the Middle?:confused:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I couldn't imagine MITM without the TMBG theme tune. I really can't.

On a similar note, I don't believe the music rights are related to TMBG, but to other artists featured in various episodes. (e.g. Abba in Waterpark)

MITM18

Dont you mean Abba in Pearl Harbor rather than Abba in Waterpark since thats what they were singing too from the play Moma Mia?

I think they would just go for an original song rather than a liscened one.

Emrysgirl

I think he means Fernando from when Dewey was dancing with his babysitter.

Or maybe I just misunderstood your Q MITM18

And to the original Q: No, I can't. Boss of Me is the only perfect one:) .

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
It's hard to imagine another song since the theme was written specifically for the show.

And I heard that it was the theme song that was the problem. It's a different version of the song after the first season; a different recording. It only sounds slightly different, but I heard that was the problem. I just read that on the internet, probably on some message board somewhere, so who knows how accurate it is.

Squeaky Yugi

I'm barely a music fan, but if I had to choose a replacement theme, I'd go with Randy Newman's "It's a jungle out there" which is the current theme song of Monk

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Really? That is not the impression that I got. I watched the movie Gigantic, which is the TMBG documentary, and they briefly talk to Linwood Boomer, who is a big fan. He talked about how excited he was that John Linnel, of TMBG, called him to ask him if the song sounded ok, and if there was anything he wanted changed. He couldn't believe that someone that he had admired for so long was asking HIM if the song sounded ok. Anyway, it doesn't seem like they would have called him to ask him if he wanted it to be different if they didn't write the song just for the show. I could have misunderstood, though. Did the song appear on any of TMBG albums?

Emrysgirl

Squeaky Yugi said:
Randy Newman's "It's a jungle out there" which is the current theme song of Monk
Noooooooooooo!!!!

1. It's Monk! Don't steal from Monk!
  2. It's too slow/calm/reasonable. Perfect for Monk, but not MitM
  3. Malcom's not germophobic, so it doesn't make sense.
  4. It's not a jungle out there. Outside is normal. It's the family that's bizzare. It's a jungle in here (to be corny).

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
MITM18 said:
I am very sorry, I had my facts wrong.

You were right :eek:

We all make mistakes
Hey, no problem. Thanks for looking it up and getting it all straightened out. Sometimes people just get wrong information. It happens. As long everyone eventually gets the right information, it's no big deal.

Squeaky Yugi

What about Malcolm's song from "Hal Sleepwalks?" and then Dewey's line of "meow meow meow meow..." or would that be too much like advertising?

MITM-Fan

arach said:
Jimmy eat World - The Middle

Just because it was played during the trailer when MitM first aired.
dito...liked the trailers with that song and it would be a pretty good match :)

:cool:

APK

A shortened version of "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones might suit it...since the family has quite a number of problems to deal with and I'm sure all, at some point, have been unable to get "satisfaction."

Then again, it isn't as fast-paced as "Boss of Me"...so I'm not sure. I think the lyrics of the song would suit the show, though, particularly the chorus.