Third Option

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I would like to start a new debate about the Living Will episode. What do you guys think the "third option" was for Jim, since it wasn't life or death?

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
What were some of the clues that they gave? Lois mentioned a few things at the end of the episode, but I can't remember now, and I don't have that episode recorded. Didn't she say something about birds?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I believe there were birds; everything was purchased from one store except a hat, and for some reason I thought there was something about a cornfield.

arach

It has something to do with birds, a radio shock (?) and a hat. That were the three things that were mentioned.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
arach said:
a radio shock (?)
It's Radio shack. An electronics store.

I really don't know, maybe he put Jim in a electro-magnetic field, and suspended him in time.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Science-fiction expert, is it actually possible to suspend someone in time? One would think he would have needed Malcolm's advice for something like that.

MITM18

The ending leaves you with a question, but its not supposed to be taken seriously.

Just a comical ending aswell as an easy ending for the writers.

Thus there is no answer to this "third option".

:)

While it was a very funny episode I didnt like how the writers ended it, but thats writing fictional comedies, you have that availability to just end it ubruptly.

PS: You can freeze people, but thats when they are dead. You cant freeze someone alive.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
yardgames said:
Science-fiction expert, is it actually possible to suspend someone in time? One would think he would have needed Malcolm's advice for something like that.
This is science fiction. Let me get that across. Now, I shall make yet another reference to all the sci-fi books I read. In one, a man is put in suspendened animation to go to another Earth time line, a parallel dimension. Using brain waves from dolphins, electricity, a goo substance to prevent him from moving, you know, he moves around in this dimension, and a breathing tube. He went to the "Other Earth" and found out why this Earth time line wanted to steal energy and ozone from other Earth time lines. he did, their time line was so messed up, they depleated it of it's resources and needed more.

Should I list all these book that I read?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
@MITM18 you take all of our discussions too seroiusly. It's not that we're taking it seriously, it's that we're having fun discussing things that don't have any "right" answer; use your imagination and have fun when you participate. Pretend it's real instead of always telling us what isn't.

@J a parallel dimension? That seems to be the most "realistic" solution we've come up with, lol. Interesting indeed.

Dewey

Minimalistic
An item purchased from Radio Shack - I guess that could be just about anything. They seem to sell just about every electrical product under the sun.

I have a question though:
Why do they ask for your address (at least your zip-code) whenever you purcahse batteries from Radio Shack? - i don't get that at all.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Dewey said:
I have a question though:
Why do they ask for your address (at least your zip-code) whenever you purcahse batteries from Radio Shack? - i don't get that at all.
It's probably for statistical reasons. Other stores do it too. It might be to see how far people travel to get to the store. Some sort of corporate research or something. This is all speculation, though.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
They supposedly don't do it anymore due to privacy concerns since 9/11 (surprise) and you could always deny. I actually try and avoid Radio Shack because of that. It's absolutely ridiculous. And you can get the same products cheaper elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 1693

There are a few small things I don't understand about the series, like why Lois told Dewey to stop playing with himself or whatever in the Pilot.

This is one of them.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
There are a few small things I don't understand about the series, like why Lois told Dewey to stop playing with himself or whatever in the Pilot.

Because its not really something he should do at the table in front of the family...

Amigo22

Super Moderator
And she says that while she is shaving Hal's hairy naked body - not only in front of the family, but in the kitchen, of all places :eek:

D

Deleted member 1693

Isn't there a window right there, too? Grody...

AlexTheMartian

And she says that while she is shaving Hal's hairy naked body - not only in front of the family, but in the kitchen, of all places :eek:

so that is why the comment is funny!

did we all forget this is a comedy. that was an ironic comment, therefore funny. i found it funny :lol:

The Pilot needed to show the family and its weirdness to an extreme, so that scene basically did it :p

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It's also funny because she's talking about how they could be scooting themselves around on skateboards, but Dewey wouldn't care because he'd get to be near his body. And he's "playing with himself" in a public area in front of his naked father. Oh, and it's random, that's always funny!

AnuarGon

Lol I know 15 years late, but in my defense I was 4 when this thread started lol.
I recently watched the episode and the ending confused me as well.

The exact quotes were "

00:20:41 People aren't willing to think outside the box. See, the answer was there all the time.
00:20:46 Someone just had to see it. Once I found out he was a bird lover, well, it all made sense.
00:20:51 - And everything was at Radio Shack? - Everything but the hat.
00:20:55 You know what, Hal? Your solution was so brilliant, would you mind walking me through it one more time, step-by-step, just so I understand it completely?
00:21:03 Honey, no, it was so exhausting. I don't think I'll talk about it ever again.

Did Hal turn him into some kind of automated scarecrow•?
Probably sparked the creativity when earlier the doctor mentioned years can pass and patients cam still fully recover from a "vegetative" state lol.