Video games are dead, TV is sad, and the entire industry is rotting!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I don't know about you Brits, but the number one American show right now is "Dancing with the Stars." What a dumb reality show! And I just saw a commercial for "Welcome to the Neighborhood"-- ABC bought a house, and they're letting the neighbors choose who moves in. Hell's Kitchen--Ramsey is such an idiot. I mean, seriously, who actually watches these shows? HOW DO THE NETWORKS STAY IN BUSINESS??

MITM18

Re: Is TV nowadays sad or what?

Thats the number 1 show in ratings?

Where did you read that?

Anyways, ALOT of people watch these shows, like millions of people watch them so they are plenty staying in buisness.

The reality shows are doing very well on FOX, thats why they have just recently started the FOX Reality Channel.

The TV industry is doing very well, while its loosing viewers to video games it hasnt lost its money.

The latest trend is reality TV, thats what the networks are aiming at.

Loads of people love the construction shows, they feel its heartwarming that a poor family gets another chance at life.

For the money respect, its all got to do with advertising.

FOX has introduced alot of new sitcoms for this Fall 05 - Spring 06 Seasons aswell as some reality shows.

Also, you have to watch these shows with an open view instead of insulting them by premise.

There are tons of shows out there for all types of ages and interests.

OC for the teenage girls

That 70's Show/Malcolm/Simpsons/American Dad/Family for boys all ages

Reality shows for mom's and for anyone

American Idol goes for everyone

There are tons of great shows out there its just you have to sit and watch them instead of basing opinions on the commericals

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom

Reality TV gets really high ratings, and is also generally cheap to make. That's why they keep doing it. I enjoy some of them. Others can be really tacky and bad. But I don't think the worst thing about TV is the bad reality shows. I think it's the awful sitcoms that they are coming out with. They need to accept the fact that the multi-camera, laugh track sitcom is dead. It's been around too long, it's all been done. The last show in that format that I thought was good in any way was That 70's Show. (which shouldn't be bothering with another season)

And they have tons of shows like Dancing With the Stars in Britain. They did it first. Britain does reality TV better, though. I was in England and got sick so I watched a lot of TV, and there was more to watch on the 4 or 5 channels that my relatives got than there would be on 40 channels in the US. It was great.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

There's a Fox Reality channel now? God, a whole channel full of My Big Fat Obnoxious ********. (I've decided to bleep out what I really feel like saying there)

So, it's Britain to blame for all the crappy reality shows?? Why are people so obsessed with watching other people do things that the people watching could never do unless they were on the show? Why can't they just live their own lives instead.

Video games are the same way. It's all teh same old crap, with newer, better graphics. Has anyone played The Sims 2? Same thing as the original. The entire Roller Coaster Tycoon franchise. Doom. Halo. It's all the same. The videogame industry has come full-circle, and they are going to die out soon.

MITM18

Yardgames instead of saying what you hate, what do you like?

PS: The Video Game Industry wont ever die out, they are improving and getting better ever moment.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

The video game industry will die eventually. They have already gone full-circle; as you mentioned, the only change is the the improvement and "better...movement". You can get more lifelike AI in Halo, so we could have a Halo 962, but the lack of new games will eventually bore everyone and kill the gaming industry.

Come to think of it, there isn't a lot I like. In fact, I have a blog where I basically complain about things each week.

Emrysgirl

I hate reality TV. There isn't a single reality show I enjoy. I liked the first few eps of The Apprentice, but by the end of season 1 it got really irritating.

...thunderstorm, finish later. I don't want to take a risk with this crappy comp.:D

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom

Sorry, I have to dork-out about video games for a second.

PC gaming is dead. I agree. They haven't come out with a good game for PC in a really long time. But console gaming isn't the same. They come out with great games for Game Cube and Playstation all the time. Plus, portable players are getting more and more popular, like the PSP and the various reincarnations of the GameBoy. All of the games you meantioned, I agree with you. They're total crap. But there are a ton of great games out there. Sounds like you need to play more games from Japan.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Honestly, I love Xbox. But eventually Video Games will die. Only 1000 years from now, some guy will find an ancient Xbox, or PS2, or Game Boy DS and say "I have a good idea." That guy will introduce games back into human life. It will die out until some one else, 1000 years from him discovers what ever he made and the cycle will continue.
But lets enjoy vieo games while we have them.

Back on topic now. Yes TV is sad. There are a couple shows I like on TV. The only reality show I like is The Apprentice. But TV is better for nothing else to kill time.(but in MITM, it is pure gold TV) I see nothing in any of these new reality TV shows. I want nothing from them.

MITM18

While yes Developers have lost interest in PC, it wont die, no way.

PC will get to Xbox 360/PS3 graphics in a year or so.

I have friends within that industry aswell and yes they are nervious since alot of people just want to put in a disk and play, but the PC has so much to offer that a console cant.

And the PC has delivered many good titles in 04/05

Like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Rome:Total War, Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic 2, Republic Commando, and many many others.

Aswell video games have a LONG LONG LONG life, they will be around for a long time.

Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony are shooting of new versions of their consoles every 5 years.

Technology is improving very quickly, so we will have movie quality games in around 10ish years.

Virtual Reality will be perfected and that will spin of in a new types of games where you play inside them.

There is alot of money still to be made and the audience is right there.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Basically you said exactly what I'm saying, and then disagreed with it.

See, that's all they're doing is coming out with newer better versions. Look at the best games you mentioned--Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2--they're all sequels! No one can think of a decent idea anymore, so they merely append onto what they already have.

And to think that the PC's graphics are behind the consoles is a proposterous idea. PC graphics have always been ahead of the consoles. The Xbox 360 is only introducing hi-def, which is something like 1080x720; PC monitors can already get much higher than that resolution today.

Technology is improving quickly, you're right, but what do you mean by "movie-quality games?" We already have games that mimic movies, and they suck. And resolution-wise, games are already ahead of movies.

And Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony can "shoot new versions of their consoles every 5 years," but who's to say that consumers won't get tired of spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade all the time? When the DVD format first came out, consumers embraced it because it was new, compact, convenient, cheap, and high-quality. VHS won out in the VHS-Beta wars because VHS was more easily rewritable, cheaper, and held more data than Beta, even though Beta had better quality. That leads one to believe that consumers could completely reject high definitions discs, because this time, the revolution isn't for the consumers, but rather because the DVD industry is dead. There's no money in it anymore. We have fast 16x discs; we have rewritable; we have dual-sided; we have dual-layer, they can't do anything else.

They can release as many consoles as they want, but that doesn't mean consumers will continue to embrace them. They have to keep making new consoles so they can have better graphics, so they can put out Doom 589, which is basically the same as Doom 3, except the graphics are improved.

Consumers like to brag about quality, but how many of them really notice a substantial difference?

And won't people eventually get tired of the same old games, except with improved graphics?

MITM18

yardgames said:
And to think that the PC's graphics are behind the consoles is a proposterous idea. PC graphics have always been ahead of the consoles. The Xbox 360 is only introducing hi-def, which is something like 1080x720; PC monitors can already get much higher than that resolution today.
Well actually, the PC cannot achieve the same quality as the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3. Did you see the PS3 Tech Videos and such?

When the PS3 and Xbox 360s are released they will achieve better graphic capabilities than the PCs. Resolution is nothing to do with it, its the processor of the graphics card, they will achieve better pixel rates, Antialiasing, shaders, pixel shaders and in many other areas. The PC will again overtake the PS3/Xbox 360 in a year or so after release.

I have friends at game developing companies and distributors and they same they say the same thing.

There is still TONS of money to be made.

When you say wont people get bored of the same games, well more films are being made. With the new technology they will have a huge increase of AI which therefore allows you to really converse with the computer robots (NPC), which then allows developers to make better stories that really affect the individual.

If you want to learn more, ask the people over at forums.gamespot.com

yardgames

Retired Administrator

You're completely missing my point. Movies are in the same loop as games; they're running out of ideas. What kinds of original ideas do you ever see at the theatres anymore? They're all books now. But the movie industry isn't nearly as bad as the gaming industry. If all the gaming industry can come up with is new games that are basically teh same as their movie counterparts, while merely increasing the AI, it will die. People want more than just better technology, and that's where you're missing my point. Consumers also want more creativity--a wider, newer selection.

admin

Retired Administrator

Have you guys ever thought that the consumers of "today" will infact not be the same consumers of "tomorrow". Games ideas will never wear out, as will films as you will continually be appealing to a different audience, who may not have seen the stuff of the past...

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I did think of that. But an average kid plays video games from the ages of, say, 8 to maybe 20, take or give a few in either direction. That's twelve years that a single generation is playing the video games. Heck, I've been playing video games for six or seven years. I just bought The Sims 2, which is one of the things that has prompted this post. I thought it would be really different from the original and loads of fun. It's really very similar though, and rather stale. The Sims 2 is the first game I've bought for almost two years. I'm sick of them. It's all just repeats of the same thing, even within the ten-ish-year-period that a single generation is playing. Thus it could die out in any given generation, and, as Justin suggests, restart at a later time, but for this cycle, it's reached the end of the circle; there's no where else to go.

admin

Retired Administrator
The cycles are already being restarted continually, sequels to old films, remakes of old films. Classics being repeated on TV again, infact 90% of the digital tv channels in the UK rely on the fact that the bulk audience won't remember what happened in the 70s and 80s. The same is happening with games. People are bringing back the simple concepts and recycling ideas again for a new generation.

For example only a few months ago a "retro" pacman machine was on sale in the UK, with 30 odd DOS type games on. It sold fantastically well.

MITM18

Yep, alot of the movies for this summer are remakes.

Doesnt mean its dying or rotting away.

People have been eating mostly the same food and they dont get bored of it :)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Comparing food to the video game industry is absurd. It's not comparing apples to oranges; it's comparing apples to banana trees.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Yes, there are a lot of sequals. Sequals sell. And some things are just too go to not bring back. I would be so sad if they said they are never making another Zelda game. And Mario. They will never get rid of Mario.

But they have come out with plenty of games that are brand new ideas. What about Animal Crossing? I can't think of anything from the past that was like that. How about Katamari Damacy? You roll things up in your giant sticky ball. That just like that one game... oh wait that's not like any game ever. How about the Wario Ware games? A slew of mini games coming at you faster and faster. Haven't really seen that before.

Nintendo's next console is the Nintendo Revolution. They come WiFi ready, so if you have wireless interent, you can connect. They are planning on making every old nintendo game available for download, so you will be able to download and save Nintendo and Super Nintendo games. Also, they haven't released any pictures of the controller yet, but rumor has it that it doesn't have any buttons!!! I have absolutely no idea what it's going to be like, but I have a feeling it's going to lead to some interesting new games.

You keep talking about the American video game industry. There's lots of other stuff out there. The American companies are afraid to do anything too different. They take chances in Japan, and come out with some great creative and original games.

And they best thing that these new systems provide, for me, is not the better graphics, but more memory! More space. Big games. More places to go, more things to get. Longer games with more extras. We couldn't have a game like Animal Crossing if we didn't have games that allowed for tons of data storage. There are hundreds and hundreds of different kinds of furniture and objects that you can get in that game.
Have you seen Katamari Damacy? The graphics really aren't very good. They're very blocky. But it doesn't matter at all! It's still a fantastic game.