What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

admin

Retired Administrator
We should compile a list of what we do not want to see happening in season 7, since we have already done one for what we want to see.

Personally I do not want to see...

• Any characters killed off (Obviously)
  • Dewey have a girlfriend/boyfriend - I personally, don't think Dewey is mature enough for a gf/bf.
  • Dewey to join the Krelboynes - I hope that Dewey will remain in the Busey's and help them out for the next season as well, It would be very mean of him to go off and join the Krelboynes.
  • Malcolm to remain being a loser and social reject - Can't anything go right for him!
  • Lois to have another child - I think they have had enough children now!
Any other ideas?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I don't want to see a lot of strewn together episodes, or single storyline eps. For example, Billboard was a good episode, but with just one storyline, it really dragged on for a while. They should have intertwined another storyline, preferably with Francis, and I don't really want to see more of these boring dragging on storylines. Also, Stilts was the exception rather than the rule for integrating the episodes in season six. Somehow, they always happened to collide in previous episodes. Like the one where the boys plot revenge on Lois (which one!?) with a cart of paint, except it ends up landing on the Porsche Hal is test drivintg. That just doesn't happen enough anymore; there's just a bunch of individual storylines thrown together, and I don't want that to be the case in season seven. Some real original ideas would be great.

gottaluvem

Hollywood actr on the way
i hope that Jamie doesn't turn out to be the "perfect child" the one that the parents prefer over all the others.. i think that that would be too obvious

Emrysgirl

admin said:
  • Any characters killed off (Obviously)
What a morbid idea!:eek: I never even thought of that.

admin said:
  • Dewey have a girlfriend/boyfriend - I personally, don't think Dewey is mature enough for a gf/bf.
  • Dewey to join the Krelboynes - I hope that Dewey will remain in the Busey's and help them out for the next season as well, It would be very mean of him to go off and join the Krelboynes.
There's been too many independant storylines for Dewey the past two seasons. He's becoming too important. Return him back to the sidelines! No more big changes for him.

admin said:
  • Malcolm to remain being a loser and social reject - Can't anything go right for him!
That's getting really really old.

admin said:
Any other ideas?

• No more sensitive Reese. It was funny in the beginning but it's getting to be too much.
  • No missing Francis (a badly disguised yes:D)
  • No happy/perfect/sappy ending. I hope they don't change the characters to provide closure or just throw things together like in Friends.
  • Not really relevant, but, no spin-offs. They always suck! (No offense to Frasier fans, I don't like that show.)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
gottaluvem said:
i hope that Jamie doesn't turn out to be the "perfect child" the one that the parents prefer over all the others.. i think that that would be too obvious
You do recall that Jamie is, to quote Malcolm, "the only one that has even come close to killing Lois."?

MITM18

Emrysgirl said:
[/list]

• No happy/perfect/sappy ending. I hope they don't change the characters to provide closure or just throw things together like in Friends.

How can you have a finale without closure?

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I want closure, but not sappy, everything is wonderful closure. Like, if they had them win the lottery and suddenly be fine with money for the rest of their life or something. This is a show where crappy things happen to this family all the time. It can have a happy ending, but only just as happy as the world of Malcolm can get.

Emrysgirl

Closure? Closure's fine. I'm not really sure about he term. Something definite should happen ie no loose strings.

Sappy for Closure?
egs from Friends:

• The whole twins thing. That was crazy, its kinda impossible for that to happen - there'd be lawsuits flying around all over the place.
  • Phoebe and Mike. They drastically altered Phoebe's character just to provide closure.
having something ultra emotional or atyical, but not quite bizzare enough for laughter happen.

See my Finale post, that's what I meant.

Emrysgirl

gottaluvem said:
i hope that Jamie doesn't turn out to be the "perfect child"
No, not perfect, but I'd be fine with normal. have Jamie be the normal child. Not exceptional like Malcolm or Dewey but not stupid like Reese.

YAY 100th Post!

allison

I totally agree with Emrysgirl´s post and the people who said they don´t want a sappy ending. That just wouldn´t fit the concept of the show at all.
I hope Jamie won´t miraculously age 3 years or something (I´ve seen that on lots of other shows and it really sucks). I also hope that Hal will "calm down" a bit and won´t be as crazy as he was in the 6th season (I would like to see him as the person he was in the 2nd season, again).
It´s also true that it got pretty lame that nothing goes right for Malcolm, anymore. They should do something about that, it´s not so great. I don´t have a problem with Reese´s character developement, I think it´s pretty good that he became a bit "softer" and nicer, since he still is Reese (if you know what I mean :D I mean he still has these silly ideas, is kind of stupid and sometimes mean (Billboard)). So i think he can stay the way he is. IF there was someone I´d like to see killed of it probably would be the Buseys. Mabye it´s just me, but I just find them annoying, maybe even depressing (don´t know why). And Dewey should become less arrogant this season. I know that´s a hard thing to say, but I just miss the old, naive Dewey who was a real kid. Now Dewey acts neither like a kid nor like an adult. He isn´t the quiet and weird (but sympathetic) kid anymore, but turned into kind of a robot-like smartass. At least I think so, I´m sure there are lots of people who disagree with me.
Lois doesn´t yell that much anymore, but I think that´s ok. After 6 season it´s understandable that she got tired of it. :D It was really fun when the boys were younger, and it still is (e.g in Billboard, that was Lois as we know her from previous seasons), but if she doesn´t yell that much anymore, it´s fine by me. I don´t think it makes the show worse.
It would be nice to see more of Francis this season, but I hope they´ll come up with some FUNNY subplots for him and not like those lame stories at the ranch. Maybe he should visit his family more often, I always like him the best when he´s with his family.

To give a summary of my text above: :D

-I don´t want Jamie to age miraculously fast
-I would like it if Hal wasn´t that over the top this season
-I hope to see more of Francis, but I hope he´ll get funny subplots
-One thing I didn´t mention: I hope the show won´t focus as much on Hal and Dewey as it did in the 6th season
-I don´t want to see many episodes about the Buseys
-I hope Malcolm will get a little luckier

Emrysgirl

allison said:
Mabye it´s just me, but I just find them annoying, maybe even depressive (don´t know why).
No, you're not alone. I don't care for the Buseys either. Somehow they don't seem real to me. They remind me of Dewey's "imaginary friends" who think he's a genious.

allison said:
And Dewey should become less arrogant this season. I know that´s a hard thing to say, but I just miss the old, naive Dewey who was a real kid. Now Dewey acts neither like a kid nor like an adult. He isn´t the quiet and weird (but sympathetic) kid anymore, but turned into kind of a robot-like smartass.
I really hate the new bitter Dewey. I don't think they can go back to the first few seasons, but they need to change him drastically.

Ryebeach

allison said:
Nor do I. MITM devoted a substantial amount of screen time to Dewey's classmates in season 6 and while I've read some folks thought they were very funny, they just didn't do it for me. I think the show was trying to recreate situations similar to what Malcolm went through with the Krelboynes. Those episodes and scenes were priceless and by trying to equate the Busey's with the Krelboynes (however indirectly) it left me without a smile on my face. Another way they could go is to just focus more on the family and less on the kids' classmates.

Dewey

Minimalistic
Emrysgirl said:
I really hate the new bitter Dewey. I don't think they can go back to the first few seasons, but they need to change him drastically.
I've spotted a negative comment about Dewey. Damn you! (of course, i am merely joking - [smiles])

Being a litle more serious though, I love the Dewey character (past and present). He is probably the only one in the show that I have always had something positive to write about. For a while i have been seeking that negative aspect (i was certain there must have been something - nobody is perfect, right?) You have actually is spotted it...thanks!

Although, I still love Dewey - I don't think he needs to change at all, but this is only my opinion.

willdubbs

allison said:
-One thing I didn´t mention: I hope the show won´t focus as much on Hal and Dewey as it did in the 6th season
Can you please stop saying "the sixth season was too focused on Dewey". That's not even true! Dewey was still the most neglected character among the members of the family(except Francis and Jamie of course). We just saw Dewey a little more than the others seasons but that's it. He was the main character in only two episodes (Busey's run away and take a hostage), Dewey's opera was focused on Lois and Hal and Chad's sleepover on Hal not even on Dewey. I think the idea about the Buseys were weak enough espacially the tree and the hostage, that wasn't original enough. Dewey and the Buseys could be used really better with a little more imagination. They should forget Dewey's generousity and sensitivity, and focus more on his smartness and his rancour like in Hal sleepwalks in which I found the Busey's plot great.

But this is not the subject. In the seventh season, I don't want to see:
-Piama pregnant(or else near the end)
-Many episodes focused on the parents, especially Hal.
-Not too much sensitive Dewey, I prefer to see his smartness and rancour.
-No more stupid stuff about Dewey like in no motorcycles in which he still believes in the fairy tooth and he believes Hal when he promises him a trip on a rocket ship (completely ridiculous).
-No neglected Dewey, yes I know I'm obsessed by Dewey, but he's my favourite character.
-Poor or absurd idea and lack of perfectionnism(like in the two last seasons)
-A character who comes back overnight like Kitty did (or else near the end)
-A third clip show.
-Reese and Malcolm in the same class would be too predictable to me. I think Reese and Malcolm are already close enough. But that wouldn't annoy me that much if they're in the same class.

allison

Sorry, I just had this impression. At least I thought it was focused more on him than on the other kids. I think none ever got an entire episode for himself (correct me if I´m wrong, but I only can think of the Pilot where we could see Malcolm in almost every scene) but I think Dewey played a bigger role than the other boys because of the Buseys and things like that. I wouldn´t mind that too much, but I just don´t like the way his character changed. I really liked him until the 5th or maybe even 6th season, but now I think he´s become a little arrogant. Maybe it´s the way he talks, I don´t know. But that´s just my personal opinion.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I think saying that Dewey played a large part in the main plot line more than the other boys would be pretty accurate. Though, I haven't really gone through and counted.

Emrysgirl

Dewey said:
I've spotted a negative comment about Dewey. Damn you! (of course, i am merely joking - [smiles])
Oh, I've been complaining about season 5/6 Dewey for a long time. I'm sure you could find many more 'negative comments'.

willdubs said:
Can you please stop saying "the sixth season was too focused on Dewey". That's not even true! Dewey was still the most neglected character among the members of the family(except Francis and Jamie of course). We just saw Dewey a little more than the others seasons but that's it. He was the main character in only two episodes (Busey's run away and take a hostage), Dewey's opera was focused on Lois and Hal and Chad's sleepover on Hal not even on Dewey. I think the idea about the Buseys were weak enough espacially the tree and the hostage, that wasn't original enough. Dewey and the Buseys could be used really better with a little more imagination. They should forget Dewey's generousity and sensitivity, and focus more on his smartness and his rancour like in Hal sleepwalks in which I found the Busey's plot great.
  1. The word "too" makes it a matter of opinion. It can't be true or false.
  2. The fact that only two eps were named after his plot is decieving. MitM has always had multiple plot lines and often the main plot and the sub plot aren't that different in importance. Dewey has been the main character in many of the subplots whereas in other seasons, he was usually paired up with someone else. Reese, who had the same number of title eps as Dewey (or fewer, see point 3) has had much more insignificant subplots. Even Malcolm has only 2 eps named after his plot.
  3. Air-time isn't the only thing that makes a character important. The reason Dewey is more important in season 6 is that they have expanded his character. All of the characters have changed over the seasons, but what happened with Dewey was more than change. In previous seasons, whenever they have introduced new characters, they have had some impact on Malcolm, the main character*. But, the Buseys only have an impact on Dewey (and maybe Hal just a little bit). Even if Dewey wasn't all that present in Chad's Sleepover, it adds to his importance since the character of Chad is associated with him. Another, and hopefully clearer example: even though the Dabney's birthday subplot was focused on Dabney, I would still call it a Malcolm subplot since the character of Dabney is important only through Malcolm.
*I'm excluding Francis' plots. He' the only other one who has important peripheral characters but that's been true since the begining of the show.

Aah...I keep forgetting that you can't review any of the other posts while editing. Well, on to a new post...