Is MITM like a animation show to you?

MITM_Fan

Yes responding to the question it makes me think, that it could easily turn into an animated show but would loose quality.

This you can imagine in your mind, MITM animated version.

Oh I saw on Disney channel a animation show called "The Weekenders" and the main character's does the 4th camera (or however it's called), he talks to the audience and the background turns to black/white.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yes responding to the question it makes me think, that it could easily turn into an animated show but would loose quality.

This you can imagine in your mind, MITM animated version.

Oh I saw on Disney channel a animation show called "The Weekenders" and the main character's does the 4th camera (or however it's called), he talks to the audience and the background turns to black/white.

Yes, I can see that, though I always prefer real actors to cartoon characters. Especially compared with production limitations in animation (requiring 24 separate images per second), most obvious in South Park, live actors have the benefit of having far more facial expressions and nuances.

On the other hand, MITM had quite a number of dream and slapstick sequences which required trick photography, and which are of course easier to do in full animation.

In fact, a lot of reviewers called MITM 'the live Simpsons', and it's easy to see why. And then there's Family Guy, of course, which did a scene starring the 'Malcolm' cast as cartoon characters.

P.S. Ha, you're mixing up two technical features of MITM: 'a single camera show' (meaning it's not filmed on a stage with multiple cameras shooting the same scene, but scene-by-scene like a movie), and 'breaking the fourth wall', which means Malcolm talks to the audience. Just for the record ;)

Lparsons7981

If it had been animated i doubt I would have/still do like it as much as I do. In most cases (except a rare few such as Wall-E) I can't really connect with animated characters, I just don't see them as realistic, and it quite often opens the door for quite unrealistic things to happen. The fact that they were all "real" people in a very familiar and realistic setting for me make it so much more immersive for me

flipfreak4

Ew. No.
I think the problem is, once the character is a cartoon character, you can do - literally - anything with them. And that could easily just get... stupid. I mean like, not funny stupid. Like asinine stupid. (Also you can never get the same amount of facial expression in a cartoon character, it's just not the same.)