Am I the only one who doesn't get this?

flipfreak4

I love MITM cold openers. I love the jokes, I love the tiny details (like how in the one where Hal and Lois are playing Scrabble and you just know that Lois is coming to pick Malcolm's brains just like Hal even though she never reaches the table) and I love the way that they hardly ever have anything to do with the actual episode. But I'm still confused by one of the season 3 ones.

Reese has a stick. Dewey has a stick. Reese asks Malcolm if Dewey's is bigger, and Malcolm takes Dewey's and snaps it in half. Dewey starts crying really unconvincingly and Malcolm says something like 'Sometimes, things just have a way of working out'. I'm sorry, but...what?

Is this just meant to make everybody go WHAT??? Or am I missing something really obvious?

Probably this is going to sound really dumb to all you die-hards out there. So when you've finished laughing your arses of, please could you explain to this idiot?

Thanks. ;-)

Richiepiep

Administrator
You're referring to Convention (Season 2, episode 6). No, it's a great question. As for me, I sometimes don't get all the jokes either!

I think it has to do with Reese being so bored out of his mind and dumb. He complains that everything in his life sucks, but instead of coming up with something sensible to complain about (say, bad school marks, crappy clothes, yucky food, no money), he just whines that Dewey has a bigger stick. So Malcolm, being practical but also showing how Reese's making a fool of himself, just breaks Dewey's stick and goes like 'Problem solved, you idiot (implied), does this make you feel better?!'.

Rich

flipfreak4

Ah. Season 2. That would explain why I can't find it on my computer, cos I had to move all the s2s to make room for s3...

What you said kinda makes sense, tho it seems quite cryptic for MITM.
I still don't get Dewey tho. It's the only scene I've watched where I don't completely buy Erik's performance.

Oh well. Convention's such a funny episode I can forgive it this moment of un-funny what-the-heckness. Even tho it should have been called 'Babysitter'. IMO. :)

tedwilder

as to " buy erik's perf. " Well many times in the show he's not that good. He's a kid learning beside the show itself is about "over acting". To me "Hal" is by far the best actor on this show.