Did this commercial inspire the "Rollerskates" episode?

Richiepiep

Administrator
Some reviewers suggested this commercial by the Dutch insurance company Delta Lloyd from 1998, featuring a figure skater pitted against some ice hockey players (and their respective, perhaps all-too-real prejudices), inspired the MITM episode "Rollerskates"!

I've never really believed this - or did I? -, but it is an intriguing thought! I think I read somewhere it was filmed in the Czech Republic, but I don't know for sure. I believe it was at least somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Any ideas?

Rich

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, combining rollarskating and figure skating isn't exactly a bizarre idea, the episode idea could have easily been devised separately.

Richiepiep

Administrator
I really don't know what to make of it. The boys are playing street hockey, which is really ice hockey on rollerskates, and what Hal is doing are essentially figure skating moves in a similar, glitzy costume. The figure skater in the commercial beats all the other tough hockey guys with his fancy moves, the way Malcolm bewildered and outdid the whole street hockey team.

It could all be pure coincidence, of course.

Rich

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yes, he "dancing" just the same as Hal.

Interestingly, Sylwia, the clip is Dutch, but it was posted by a Polish YouTube user called Margaretttka. I don't know how it ended up there.

Her motto: "Na zapas nie warto się martwić. Na zapas warto się cieszyć"

Does this mean something like: "It's no need worrying, when you can be happy?" Don't worry, be happy?

Just educated guessing, I don't speak Polish!

Rich