Why Do You Watch Malcolm In The Middle?

admin

Retired Administrator
MITM18 said:
I really enjoy it because I can relate to it, to the characters, to the situations.
I started watching because I thought it was funny, and it directly followed the Simpsons!

But after a while I connected with Malcolm and started to relate my life with his, during his krelboyne years they were remarkbly similar. After Season 4 though I started to disconnect with Malcolm and start watch it again, in the hope of reconnected, as yet I cannot relate with Malcolm - he's just changed socially away from who I am.

APK

I started watching it seriously this year because from what I'd seen and read of it, it seemed a totally crazy show. Cars exploding, fridges exploding, parents/kids fighting, etc...it had a marked uniqueness (is that a word?) to it.

I meant to start a thread to ask this question, but as it kind of relates to what I'm saying, I'll ask it here: When Season Four was showing on BBC2, one of the few episodes I watched then was the Clip Show. I seem to remember there being a clip where the family started fighting with (I think) a bunch of clowns. That was one of the clips that made me decide to order the first season DVD, as it seemed just incredibly nutty and funny. Can anyone tell me which episode that clip was from?

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I love the show because it is completely off the wall. The clown fight is a perfect example. That's one of the reasons I love Hal so much. I know some people don't like it when he gets too crazy, but I love it. I think he's great.

I also love the consistency and attention to details. If they reveal a detail about a character, that detail will always be there. It's amazing how many shows don't do that. Other shows will add a detail about a character for the sake of one episode, and then never meantion it ever again. Maybe even contradict it.
A lot of people say that they can relate to the show. I have to say that I can't at all. That's just me though. My family is nothing like that at all, but I know a lot of people's families are.

allison

As most of you I love the show because I think it´s just hilarious. A great example is of course the clown fight. And though I´m one of the people who don´t like it when Hal goes too crazy, that just cracked me up (btw I didn´t even think he was so crazy in this scene, he´s more crazy when his voice becomes so high and he´s yelling and things like that).
Another thing I love about the show is that (in my opinion) it isn´t clichee at all. Ok, as usually there are 3 kids (I´m excluding Francis and Jamie now) of which the oldest isn´t very bright, the middle child is pretty smart and the youngest is kind of an outcast. BUT ususally the oldest is pretty popular and good at sports. I don´t know if Reese is good at sports, but he definitely isn´t popular. It´s the same thing with Malcolm and Dewey is (or used to be) a little weirdo. Ususally the mother is very caring, lovely and does everything right. Maybe Lois is caring in her special way and she usually does everything right, but people think of her more as a bitch than as a perfect and lovely mother. And even if it sounds weird, that´s one of the things I love so much about the show.:D I´m so tired of watching perfect families, where every episode ends in a group hug (like Full house, I hate that show).
It´s so crazy but still realistic. When have you ever seen a sitcom where people dare each other to eat spoiled food from the refridgerator? That´s so funny and I think there are kids who do things like that (when I was younger I also used to do things like that, so I can relate to it).
But still (and this is one more thing I like) they´re not a rotten family. They like each other and even if they fight a lot, they don´t let other people insult one of their family members (like in Lois´birthday, family reunion...). But whenever you can see they actually like each other it´s shown in a very funny way. None of the kids ever said "I love you" (and if they did the other person´s reaction usually was "stop saying that!"), but you can see it by the things they do for each other.
And once again I have to mention the clown fight at the end of "Lois´ birthday". That´s just the greatest example for all the things mentioned above. It´s crazy, funny and you can see how they usually express their love for each other.
Another thing I like (I think I could go on forever:p ) is that you really never have the impression they´re trying to be funny. This is not only because of the missing laugh track (which was a great idea), but also because there is a lot of subtle humour in this show. And as someone said the attention to details is great, too. It gives you the feeling that you´re watching a real family. And that´s also the reason why I think that people who always watch the show like it better than people who only watch it once in a while. You really have to know the characters to understand everything.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
allison, you always write so much... I never have so many ideas, i'm more like
malcolm (from this site, not wilkerson:D ):

Four words: Funny, likeable, elaborate, fantastic

Gouki

It's the everymans sitcom. If any of you can't watch Malcolm in the Middle and click with it in some way, or see your own family in that, you don't get the show. You shouldn't even be watching it.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Gouki said:
It's the everymans sitcom. If any of you can't watch Malcolm in the Middle and click with it in some way, or see your own family in that, you don't get the show. You shouldn't even be watching it.
Well, I agree and disagree with you.

It is "the everymans sitcom," but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it if your family isn't like that. There's a lot of people who could relate it to a friend's family, for example. Or merely imagine it happening to their family.

MITM-Fan

Just one word: Frankie :D if he didn't promote this show I wouldn't have watched it. It was just a great coincidence that I was an avid fan of Jay Leno. To that time I had just seen some advertisements in some Pay TV (!!) TV Guides but I just thought it was a crapy kid's show. (how wrong I was) When it was first aired on Free TV I tuned in, watched it, liked it, recorded the shows.
I still have to thank Frank :)D) for getting me glued on this show maybe I'll meet him one day to tell him that.
For the show: funny, chaotic, loveable, different.

:cool:

ekimanisirf

I watch it becuase I feel that Malcom's family is so much like my own... well, other than the fact that I only have ONE SISTER, its almost identical. My mother is sooooooo overbearing and my dad has absolutely no clue whats going on. My sister, though, reminds me of all 3 brothers... shes blonde (no offense to other blondes) physically and psychologically, meaning shes pretty dumb, like Reese. She's always complaining, like Malcom. She goes along with pretty much anything, like Dewey, and like Francis, shes never home. So yeah, I really dont fit into the family, also like Malcom. So there you go!

Emrysgirl

It's just funny.:D

All the other things are just stuff I notice, not why I watch the show.

It's just plain funny.:D

MITM18 said:
I really enjoy it because I can relate to it, to the characters, to the situations.
I think the reason why many people watch it, is actually contradictory to this, the sheer comedy and surrealism! Sure, fundamentals can be shared in many peoples lives, however many of the hillarious and absurd events are a form of escapsism.