Product Placement in MITM

has anybody noticed that all the kids in mitm wear puma sneakers all the time? im a bit of a sneaker collector so i noticed this. it got me thinking though. is there any other companies that noticeably place products in mitm. Also can someone confirm the connection between puma and mitm.

MITM18

Re: product placement

I know what you mean, the production studio may have a deal with them.

I'll ask when I speak to my friends

Update:

Yes they do as I suspected.

New Regency has experienced strong growth with the quality and depth of its film library continuing to improve, the ongoing success of its television series JV with Fox, particularly with ‘Malcolm in the Middle’, and with the increased value of its 35% stake in PUMA.

I really dont mind it at all. Let them do it, increase the profits of New Regency, they are a good company.

admin

Retired Administrator

talat@dv8shoes.com said:
has anybody noticed that all the kids in mitm wear puma sneakers all the time? im a bit of a sneaker collector so i noticed this. it got me thinking though. is there any other companies that noticeably place products in mitm. Also can someone confirm the connection between puma and mitm.
An excellent thread start talat, and well spotted, I didn't even notice it!

I personally haven't noticed anything else, but a while ago someone said that most of the clothes the boys where are designer clothes.. I don't know if thats true - but it wouldn't suprise me.

A little of topic, but Ofcom (UK TV Regulator) will still not allow Product placement (for money) within television programmes in the UK

yardgames

Retired Administrator

In the US, that thing happens all the time. In movies, for example, they'll purposely zoom in close on logos. Really quite funny, the ways people are now coming up with to advertise. Maybe some day, they'll simply focus on Lois using L'Oreal make-up, or the boys watching some Fox program on TV, and then we can completely skip the commercials.

admin

Retired Administrator

With the birth of DVRs and PVRs and the ability to rewind television, I do expect product placement to increase.

"I" now choose what I want to watch and when I want to watch it. I don't sit throuhg adverts anymore, I program my PVR in advance and it records up 80hours of television onto its harddrive, and I just sit down and watch whatever I want to watch whenever I want to! :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Yeah, but you make a whole bunch of money off of your web hosting business. Some of us can't find jobs that easily.

I totally agree that product placement should be allowed as the shows represent reality and these are the brand names we see every day. Just as long as the products dont play centre stage and dont affect scripts, stories etc.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

But the whole point is for them to be center stage, because then it's another form of advertising for those companies.

MITM18

If it isnt like how they did advertising in the truman show movie, then I am good.

That's a very funny movie. When Truman's wife is saying an advertisment about the cofee, and Truman says, who are you talking to

Emrysgirl

What about the shoe company mentioned in Stilts? Is it real?

MITM18 said:
When Truman's wife is saying an advertisment about the cofee, and Truman says, who are you talking to
I remember that!:D

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom

I was just watching Old Mrs. Old and Reese was standing in the background, eating from a giant box of Corn Pops that was aimed right at the camera.

when reece comes home theres very obvious product placing with the whole breakfast waffle scene. is this a real brand of waffle? we dont have it in the u.k

MITM18

Yes thats correct, there is no such thing as Mr. Waffles.

Its just a nice creative thing to add to the show :)

As it is very humorous :)

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom

When they have a product featured like that, it's usually made up. Like that blue elephant character that Dewey wanted a toy of. What was his name?

Emrysgirl

@GKM Herbie?

Nobody answered me, so, i'll post again:D:
What about the shoe company mentioned in Stilts? Is it real?

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I don't remember which company it was. You're not referring to the Lucky Aide, are you?

Emrysgirl

No, the really expensive shoes that Lois buys imitations of and that Hal buys for Lois. It starts with a C, that's all I can remember. It might be a woman's name, but I'm not sure.

Eero.i

In the Episode Lois's Makeover in the 3rd season I spotted that all the "boys" excluding Hal had Puma sportswear. Frankie Muniz had Puma sneakers, Puma tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt. Also "Reese" and "Dewey" had Puma outfits.

In the 1st season of MITM many characters wear designer brands... I spotted Stevie wearing Tommy Hilfiger dressshirts and Malcolm wearing Gant sweatshirts and t-shirts. Reese was wearing nameful sportwear brands and of course all of the boys had Puma sneakers.

So I think that Malcolm in the Middle has a lot of product placement..

Jimmy Junior

Not sure about designer clothes in general, but Malcolm has at least one Puma T-Shirt and I think Reese has a Puma hoodie? I believe that cadets at Marlon Accademy wear puma tracksuits in their free time as well.
I hadn't noticed any other brands being mentioned - in that cold opener where Lois tried to launch a healthy eating regime by putting a grapefruit in the fridge, Reese took a can (looked like Sprite) which had been carefully re-labelled 'Soda' using the same graphics.