Censorship in MITM?

Noozman_7190

I was watching FX a while ago, and the MITM episode "graduation" came on, and I noticed something. On my DVD's, in "graduation" (i don't know if this is a real spioler or not) but
Spoiler for ":
Dewey never burns "the nuclear option

Instaed
Spoiler for :
Francis notices it slip out of the front closet, and atempts to blackmail dewey with it but fails

The only reason that I can think of that they blocked this is because Francis said "Ass". Is this true?

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Hey, didn't you forget to write the rest?

There's missing bits.

'Spoilers' will be revealed when you quote the message with the Quote button underneath. It's a matter of putting the spoiler between the tags, I reckon, rather than incorrectly inside the first tag!

As for the censorship, we just had a discussion about it in this thread, regarding the 'Nick at Nite' marathon of all MITM episodes.

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2277

I don't think there has ever been censorship for offensiveness of whatever kind with regard to MITM reruns. At least, I don't recall it, or we couldn't put our fingers on it. It's true, alas, that reruns often cut out parts, because the network wants to squeeze in more commercials per hour. This isn't censorship in the strict sense, more like cutting 'inessential' scenes. Mostly, end credits and 'cold opens' (the introductory skits) fall victim to this, but also secondary or tertiary plots, for instance those involving Reese on his own, or Francis and Piama.

This may look outrageous, but unfortunately it's quite common for movies and TV series to be shortened for convenience. They're simply not treated nowadays with the same integrity and respect as 'works of art' like novels, paintings, symphonies etc. It's more 'commercial product' to be messed around with, not 'artistic vision'.

Rich

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Gee, I didn't expect to have to write this, but actually, some networks do censor MITM!

I just watched episode 'Kicked Out' again (4.12) as it was shown on Sky One. In this episode, Otto's nephew Willy's piano playing gets on Francis' nerves. Just before Francis smashes Willy's keyboard in despair, the last straw is when Willy tells Francis, using his dictionary, that he is a 'crybaby bastard'.

In the Sky One version, the one word 'bastard' is edited out! I cannot believe this! What were they thinking?

Rich

MITM_Fan

Gee, I didn't expect to have to write this, but actually, some networks do censor MITM!

I just watched episode 'Kicked Out' again (4.12) as it was shown on Sky One. In this episode, Otto's nephew Willy's piano playing gets on Francis' nerves. Just before Francis smashes Willy's keyboard in despair, the last straw is when Willy tells Francis, using his dictionary, that he is a 'crybaby bastard'.

In the Sky One version, the one word 'bastard' is edited out! I cannot believe this! What were they thinking?

Rich

That's so lame, I mean, I'm pretty sure in any other show they'll say that or worse.

Last edited: