MITM soundtrack CD review + questions (gee, another long mail!)

Richiepiep

Administrator
Just to show I'm a good boy and not some cyberpunk freeloader, I have the official MITM soundtrack CD! I must say that, apart from the Boss of Me title track, it doesn't remind of MITM a lot, more of the start of the millennium when we had a lot of hiphop/funk/rock hybrid groups, which seem to dominate here.

I wonder what people make of this collection?

In the sense of alternative, edgy groups, I miss Beck's Mixed Bizness (used during the pool game sequence in Water Park), a great track which would have fitted in snugly. I believe the Barenaked Ladies track Falling For The First Time was never used for the series or any other MITM-related promo, so I guess they jumped the gun a bit, and it may be projected for inclusion in another episode. Although the Barenakeds don't do any hiphop-related stuff (apart from one or two half-hearted rap attempts, like their big hit One Week), they are a lot like They Might Be Giants with their melodic songs full of funny twists and puns, so I would have loved to have them on the show (both bands have released specific children's records by now, and it's strange to hear how some of these songs especially are so alike vocally and musically they could be by the other band).

Because this is a more or less random collection to me, I came up with a unifying theme. Some of the tracks have a relation to Hanson, who contributed Smile to the Old Mrs. Old episode (a leftover from their This Time Around sessions). You All Dat by the Baha Men is another song on this MITM CD. One of the first songs recorded by Hanson was Back To The Island, a Baha Men cover. Returning the favour, the Baha Men covered Hanson's Thinking Of You a few years later. You All Dat was co-written by Mark Hudson and Steve Greenberg. Mark Hudson co-produced Hanson's first three 'official' (major company) albums, and Steve Greenberg was Hanson's agent and executive producer.

The Dust Brothers, who came up with the final MITM track, I Just Don't Care (dialogue snippets from the series set to a rhythm track) produced Hanson's first hit single MMMBop.

Hanson also co-wrote a few unreleased songs with Ed Robertson of the Barenaked Ladies.

As for the Travis track, We Are Monkeys, Hanson said on several occasions that Travis is one of their favourite bands. I know that Frankie Muniz and Hanson were good friends at the time, I mean better than the usual showbiz cliché, because at one point Frankie was going to tour with Hanson in 2004 as an extra drummer! That's not a joke, he said so himself, but of course nothing came of it.

Now, if Beck's Mixed Bizness had been on it, there would be another connection, because both this track and Hanson's Smile feature Beck's scratcher/sampler DJ Swamp. Did you know that Beck's full name is Beck Hansen by the way? ;)

Do you have any favourite tracks, or bands you like that have some special significance to you? Does anyone know who this Gordon person or band is who covered Don't Push It, Don't Force It. Yes, that's a cover of a 1980 Leon Haywood disco-style song. I've got no clue who 'Gordon' is. I just hope it's not the silly, campy Dutch guy who disgraced this year's Eurovision song contest ;).

Any remarks!?

Song credits 1:

Music-from-Malcolm-in-the-Middle-Soundtrack-CD-Booklet-Back-p1-MITMVC.jpg

Song credits 2:

Music-from-Malcolm-in-the-Middle-Soundtrack-CD-Booklet-Back-p3-MITMVC.jpg

Rich

Last edited: