The amazing graphic designs of Company Wide Shut!

Richiepiep

Administrator
Hi all,

What the hell, another spammer? No, really. I just found out that Company Wide Shut provided those wonderfully quirky menu designs for the official MITM Season 1 DVD.

And I don't use "amazing" just gratuitously. It turns out they're extremely versatile stylistically, and always spot-on choosing designs that perfectly match the movie's look and feel. They did titles and menus for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Peter Jackson's King Kong, Pan's Labyrinth, The Simpsons Movie, Futurama, Napoleon Dynamite, Rush Hour 2/3, There's Something About Mary, Hellboy, Walk The Line, Reservoir Dogs, Twin Peaks, The Golden Compass, Mr and Mrs Smith, you name 'em. Yet, they seem to be little known. Let me sing the unsung heroes of MITM! ;)

Watch the DVD promotion reel (the View Master intro with Sixties' lounge jazz music is just another stroke of genius!), or, even better, the Blu-ray reel.

This really has me in awe! :2thumbsup:

Rich

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I agree the titles are pretty awesome on the DVD. I don't often watch the DVD so when I do its always a nice surprise. Wish I had the DVD with me now.

Nice to see they feature MITM in the reel.

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
I agree the titles are pretty awesome on the DVD. I don't often watch the DVD so when I do its always a nice surprise. Wish I had the DVD with me now.

Nice to see they feature MITM in the reel.

Let me indulge you (better attachments) ;)

Rich

Richiepiep

Administrator
Where is the company located?

Hi Alex,

Aha, I see a professional interest emerging ... ;)

I got this from Yellowbot (I guess some Yellow Pages site):

Company Wide Shut Incorporated
1130 S Flower St Apt 118
Los Angeles, CA 90015
(213) 744-9908

Their creative director/owner/founder is Jean-Paul Leonard, who's also on LinkedIn - one of five people named such. I agree, more info than on their own site was surprisingly hard to find!

Rich

Richiepiep

Administrator
But who designed the episode title sequences?

The DVD designs by Company Wide Shut got me wondering. They look great, but they had some groundbreaking, imaginative stuff to work with, being those twisted, post-modern (how passé, for want of a better term) title sequences. Standing on the shoulders of (they might be) giants so to speak.

So these turn out to be by Wunderfilm. If you watch the whole promotion clip, you see MITM popping up after a while. They worked for Ellen, Drew Carey Show, Four Kings, Friends, Scrubs, Ben Stiller, Michael Richards & Jamie Foxx shows etc.

Rich

Last edited:

AlexTheMartian

I am looking for a job this year, and I done TV graphics before, so getting into DVD graphics can't be that hard of a transition.

That is right in downtown. actually that is closer for me then many other entertainment and graphics companies (most are further away west of downtown)

Last edited: