PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes?

live4mitm
Jun 6, 2009, 05:00 PM
Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes FAQ

Seosamh
Jun 6, 2009, 05:05 PM
i think i can answer 1 question season 4 - 7 are in HD

tjpeople
Jun 6, 2009, 05:57 PM
live4mitm (http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=3648), we all want all the episodes in HD but just asking enough times doesn't make it happen. This is what would need to happen for us to get all the episode in HD.

A massive MITM fan, who loves the show enough to put the time & money into do this
Able to receive MITM in HD (few channels air it in HD)
Has the money to pay to get the HD channel ($100/month probs)
Has the equipment to receive it (Around $150)
Has the equipment to record it (over $100+)
Has the equipment and knowledge to decrypt the broadcast (can be very tricky)
Has the PC power to encode the raw files to x264 (or similar) ($1500 at least and many hours per episode)
Then has to wait till every episode has aired, this could take months maybe a year
Has highspeed internet upload, we are talking 0.5-1GB per episode thats 75-150GB for all episodes. At most people's internet upload speed that would take a month or more of constant upload.

So the main factors are time, money and skill.

I have the skill to pull this off, also the commitment and probs the time. However I nowhere near have enough money.

The costs depends how you record, for me to do it:

You need SKY HD - 50 for BOX and 30ish/month to get the channel.
A spare PC, which I have but probs not high spec ennough, so maybe 400 for a new one.
Technotrend S2-3200 PCI card w/ CI addon (Special PCI card to take Satalitle cable in) 120
T-Rex v4.6 CAM module (for decrpting signal) 100
I already have an 8core Mac Pro so encoding isn't an extra cost.

Total costs (est): 650 + on going 30/month. Say I can get all episodes in 6 months. Thats 180, so total = 830

However I think SKY would have to be a minimum 12 months contract so even more like 1000 total.

Now if people are willing to donate to cover my costs then I'd do it. But thats never going to happen.

Another (possibly) cheaper option is to find (one of the few) people who is already setup. Then pay them to do it. No idea what they would expect, but still its a lot of time.

Who knows, somebody may come along one day and have done it already if so contact me (http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/sendmessage.php) and we can work something out. Or if you can help us out also contact me (http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/sendmessage.php).

If people are seriously interested in donating to get this done, say how much your willing to pledge and we can see if it will work.

live4mitm
Jun 6, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hey, thanks tjpeople for the answer, I knew that it needs a lot of equipment and money. Maybe there will no normal person record it, but i thought of a warez release group. For example there is a german warez website where you can download complete shows in HD for example Lost (http://serienjunkies.org/?cat=23) or King of Queens (http://www.hd-area.net/index.php?id=7093) they even do 1080p releases. So for them it wouldn't be a big thing to do that, but I don't know how to contact people from the warez scene or where to request it.

Off Topic: I really like that you have a Mac Pro :D I have a MacBook Pro

tjpeople
Jun 6, 2009, 08:23 PM
There is a major difference between MITM and the likes of Lost or King of Queens.

With lots of TV shows there are Blue-Ray discs available. So all you have to do is buy them and rip them. For anything thats aired in the last 2ish years are recorded in HD when they air for the FIRST time. Only season 6 and 7 where broadcast in HD when they first aired and at the time (nearly) nobody was recording in HD.

If new MITM was airing today, we would have HD episodes no problem.

Since then other seasons have aired in HD, but this is re-runs. Scene (Warez) groups arn't really interested in re-runs. They have more than enough to keep themselves busy with NEW airings.

You have to remeber MITM finished in 2006, most people assume its on DVD so don't think "oh lets record MITM off the TV".

Lparsons7981
Jun 6, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm not really sure of how it works, but seasons 1-5 can never be in HD I thought because they weren't actually filmed using HD cameras?

I was dissapointed to not be able to find the season 1 DVDs at my local Best Buy today, they are usually good with T.V DVDs. God knows they had quite a few copies of "Commander in Chief":rolleyes:

Guess it's Amazon.com for me.

tjpeople
Jun 6, 2009, 10:26 PM
When you buy it on amazon help the site out by using this link to amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006G8J7/?tag=malcinthemidd-20). Or via our amazon store! http://malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/store

I'm pretty sure all season will have been filmed on film. Film is in itself HD. So all episodes if they want could be HD, I'm not exactly sure how many seasons they actually broadcast in HD. But they could do them all.

live4mitm
Jun 7, 2009, 05:48 AM
Yes, all seasons were filmed on Film with Panavision (http://www.panavision.com/) Cameras, so they could broadcast all in HD. So I think we have to wait like you just said, until somebody does the work for us and then we contact each other here.

MITM_Fan
Jun 7, 2009, 08:49 AM
i think i can answer 1 question season 4 - 7 are in HD

That's not really true, I explain why.

Those HDTV (which LOL released) aren't High Defition, they have 600x352 or sort of and simplifying it's the standard defition.

Only the real HDTV-720P (1280x720) round up to 500MB-1GB (depends on the bitrate) size not 175MB.

live4mitm
Jun 7, 2009, 09:17 AM
That's not really true, I explain why.

Those HDTV (which LOL released) aren't High Defition, they have 600x352 or sort of and simplifying it's the standard defition.

Only the real HDTV-720P (1280x720) round up to 500MB-1GB (depends on the bitrate) size not 175MB.

We knew that the episodes that you can download on the internet aren't HD, we were talking about if they are airing in HD on TV so someone could record them.

live4mitm
Jun 7, 2009, 09:22 AM
Maybe this person (http://forums.superiorpics.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/posts/653309) could help us, even if she's only interested in the haircut of Hayden.

Batch
Jun 7, 2009, 10:50 AM
Technotrend S2-3200 PCI card w/ CI addon (Special PCI card to take Satalitle cable in) 120
T-Rex v4.6 CAM module (for decrpting signal) 100

Unfortunately this approach is no longer an option as in the past month or so Sky have issued new viewing cards and changed all encryption setting which the CAM module can't deal with.

As i've said before I've got the time, with a 3 month Uni holiday starting in 2 weeks.
My parents have already got a SkyHD box and subscription(46 per month!) and my PC is capable of encoding to X264.
I've also got 3.5tb of hard drive space and access to 100mb broadband:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/424971530.png

However, i'd still need donations to cover the 350 ($550) cost of the capture and decryption devices. Any offers, lol.

live4mitm
Jun 7, 2009, 11:17 AM
Maybe we should make an donate announcement on the news page, then I think there will be a lot of people donating you, PayPal would be the best thing I think.

tjpeople
Jun 7, 2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the offer Batch, your definitely the best option we have.

I'm hesitant to start asking for donations, when money gets evolved things get complicated. However I'm seriously considering it.

I'd like peoples feedback. Questions...

Should people who donate "get" something? Maybe only the people who donate can get access to the episodes? If so there would need to be a minimum donation value.

What if we raise 300 but can't get the last 50? WHat happens to peoples money?

I guess the easiest option is to be completely simple.

"We need money to do this, the more people donate the better a chance we can do it"

And make it very clear that this is a donation and we guarantee nothing nor can we give money back.

We could go down the "pledge" option. Get people to say how much they are willing to pay, then if we get enough pledges, ask for the real money?

live4mitm
Jun 7, 2009, 03:24 PM
I think asking for pledges is a good idea and yes only the people who paid should get access to the downloads, because otherwise they wait until the other users paid enough and then download it for free. And we really have to trust the person who gets the money, 300 is a lot and we have no adress or something :D

Batch
Jun 7, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'd agree that only those donating should be able to access the episodes, and I would think that if they did donate, they would be less inclined to freely distribute them around the web.

What if we raise 300 but can't get the last 50? What happens to peoples money?

Technology prices are only going to fall, so I would think that if a decent figure were to be raised, the money be kept until the equipment is affordable. Only problem here would be if it stppped airing.

live4mitm
Jun 8, 2009, 08:00 AM
I think we should make this as soon as we can, the main things were discussed so the donation request should be placed on the news site, and Batch really wants to do it? When he only has 3 months of freetime than this isn't enough for all the episodes.

tjpeople
Jun 8, 2009, 08:20 AM
This is a long term project it wont happen overnight.

My main issue is the possible perception of the exchange of money for episodes. I support the sharing of episodes, however when money gets involved things get very illegal.

Now obviously this isn't what we are doing. We would be "investing" in Batch. With the return being episodes. Not buying them from him.

Batch, you seen quite up on what you would need to do it, can you put together a list? with links to the items, be specific. So people would know what happens to their money.

What we can do is if we can't get enough money is either return the money (however I think people will not get the full figure back as paypal will take a cut) or give it to http://clothesoffourbacks.org (Jane's charity).

Lparsons7981
Jun 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
This is a long term project it wont happen overnight.

My main issue is the possible perception of the exchange of money for episodes. I support the sharing of episodes, however when money gets involved things get very illegal.

Now obviously this isn't what we are doing. We would be "investing" in Batch. With the return being episodes. Not buying them from him.

Batch, you seen quite up on what you would need to do it, can you put together a list? with links to the items, be specific. So people would know what happens to their money.

What we can do is if we can't get enough money is either return the money (however I think people will not get the full figure back as paypal will take a cut) or give it to http://clothesoffourbacks.org (Jane's charity).

The charity thing is a great idea.

Batch
Jun 8, 2009, 11:09 AM
I think we should make this as soon as we can, the main things were discussed so the donation request should be placed on the news site, and Batch really wants to do it? When he only has 3 months of freetime than this isn't enough for all the episodes.

I'd need to check exactly which seasons Sky is airing in HD. If seasons 4-7, that's 88 episodes so almost exactly 3 months. Seasons 5-7 would take less time.

At the moment it would require:

HDMI Splitter (35) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-input-2-output-1080p-HD-Sky-PS3-1x2-HDMI-SPLITTER_W0QQitemZ130309868648QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_ConsumerElectronics_VideoSwitches_SM?hash=item1e 5712cc68&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1690%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)
0.5m HDMI cable (7) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ivuna-0-5-Metres-0-5m-HDMI-Cable-1080p-v1-3b_W0QQitemZ350186573959QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Comp uting_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item5188bf1087&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)
HD FURY 2 (144) (http://hdfury2.co.uk/hdfury2-p-9.html)
Hauppauge HD PVR (160) (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7791395/-/Product.html?searchstring=hauppauge+hd+pvr&searchsource=0)

tjpeople
Jun 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
Here is a cheaper HDMI cable. There is no reason to pay anymore than basic cost for HDMI cable there is no quaility issue.

1.8M HDMI to HDMI Cable - Gold Connectors (2.50 incl del) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Connectors/dp/B0017RW94A/)

I guess you need the splitter to take the new HDMI cable to the HDFury and the other (current HDMI cable) to the TV.

We talk about HD but we need to be a bit more specific. If we are gunna do this lets do it in the best way possible.

Sky is broadcast in 1080i so I guess you will record at 720p?

My only concern at the moment is the HDFury conversion. You said that the pci cam method doesn't work? Are you sure?

I'm just afriad we are going to go through all the effort for HD and it will be "HD" but wont look good. As I'm typing I'm getting myself up to speed on things.

live4mitm
Jun 8, 2009, 01:12 PM
Just a suggestion, why not recording in 1080i, I know that the uploading time will be longer but then we don't have to record it a second time in the future when everyone has a Full HD TV. Just a suggestion.

Batch
Jun 8, 2009, 01:25 PM
Here is a cheaper HDMI cable. There is no reason to pay anymore than basic cost for HDMI cable there is no quaility issue.

1.8M HDMI to HDMI Cable - Gold Connectors (2.50 incl del) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Connectors/dp/B0017RW94A/)

Ok, thanks.

I guess you need the splitter to take the new HDMI cable to the HDFury and the other (current HDMI cable) to the TV.

Correct!

We talk about HD but we need to be a bit more specific. If we are gunna do this lets do it in the best way possible.

Sky is broadcast in 1080i so I guess you will record at 720p?

I could record in either. If I were to record 1080i, I could then de-interlace it to 1080p, though it would take some time.

My only concern at the moment is the HDFury conversion. You said that the pci cam method doesn't work? Are you sure?

It would work currently as although they have issued the new viewing cards the old ones still work. However, they could be deactivated at any time. Of course, there's nothing to say that a new CAM couln't be released which could handle the new encryption, maybe even new firmware, but i doubt it.

I'm just afriad we are going to go through all the effort for HD and it will be "HD" but wont look good. As I'm typing I'm getting myself up to speed on things.

I'll see if i can find any clips produced by the HD PVR, there were some posted in another forum i visit (avforums).

MITM_Fan
Jun 8, 2009, 02:20 PM
If this and donations go forward, then I hope you don't ask much may be 5 or 10 more is just stealing. Don't take this badly.

And if you could do the episodes in 720p I'd be thankful.

But not forgetting after a while those episodes which people will get thorugh donations they will then share and becomes public. It's still illegal to pay for piracy download.

live4mitm
Jun 8, 2009, 03:28 PM
When we can trust uk-tv-guide (uk-tv-guide.com) then there are all 7 seasons airing on Sky1 HD. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Off-Topic:
I need the MITM Font, can't find it. Don't want to open a seperate thread.

MITM_Fan
Jun 8, 2009, 04:30 PM
When we can trust uk-tv-guide (uk-tv-guide.com) then there are all 7 seasons airing on Sky1 HD. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Off-Topic:

I only saw seasons 2 to 4 on the search list.

btw, I'd donate 10 can't give more than that.

tjpeople
Jun 8, 2009, 04:46 PM
I'm thinking of setting a minimum, but no maximum. I was thinking 5/$8 or 10/$16 as the minimum.

Assuming total cost is 350

At 5/$8 it would take 70 people to donate. I just don't see that happening. However some people may donate more.

But of course only 35 at 10/$16. Still a lot of people but maybe possible.

I'd put in 50. So that would mean only 30 at 10/$16. If we are lucky people will give more than the minimum and make it possible.

Off-Topic:

Font. (http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18)

MITM_Fan
Jun 8, 2009, 05:19 PM
I hope to hear more from this big project, I will support it, with a small ammount and uploading if needed. I can do it via HTTP (RapidShare) / BT (BitTorrent) & IRC (Send File).

I have a surprise which I will post and upload it this week.

live4mitm
Jun 9, 2009, 12:21 AM
I only saw seasons 2 to 4 on the search list.

Yes, because you can only look like 3 weeks in the future, but I looked in the cache from the website with google and I saw that season one was airing a few weeks/days ago, and I think seasons 5,6,7 will also air, because they also did in the past.

MalcolmFun
Jun 9, 2009, 02:19 AM
Im not sure what you guys are trying to do. Why are you talking about HDMI cables and the HDFURY thing? The Hauppage HD PVR takes an input of component cables and from that can record 1080i or 720P in MP4 format on your hard drive. You shouldn't have to do any kind of crazy conversion on that.

Morever the HDFURY thing seems scamish. From the FAQ is says
Without an HDMI input your display will be limited to 480p in most cases
That is FALSE. Most cable company HD set top boxes dont even use HDMI. Component works fine for HD. This is why the Hauppage HD PVR doesn't even have an HDMI input! The type of cable used is probably the least important part of this. You need a powerful computer to be able to record at HD without ever having jitter or interruptions.

Batch
Jun 9, 2009, 07:01 AM

Unfortunately although all seasons are aired on Sky1 HD, the earlier episodes are only upscaled and not natively HD :(

Im not sure what you guys are trying to do. Why are you talking about HDMI cables and the HDFURY thing? The Hauppage HD PVR takes an input of component cables and from that can record 1080i or 720P in MP4 format on your hard drive. You shouldn't have to do any kind of crazy conversion on that.

Morever the HDFURY thing seems scamish. From the FAQ is says

Quote:
Without an HDMI input your display will be limited to 480p in most cases

That is FALSE. Most cable company HD set top boxes dont even use HDMI. Component works fine for HD. This is why the Hauppage HD PVR doesn't even have an HDMI input! The type of cable used is probably the least important part of this. You need a powerful computer to be able to record at HD without ever having jitter or interruptions.

The Sky HD set top box has no component output, only HDMI which (as digital) is encrypted with HDCP, hence the need for the HD FURY.

The HD PVR would record to 1080i x264 with a .ts extension, I would then de-interlace this and convert to .mkv for ease of play.

I've got a 2.6GHz C2D, which will be fine with the encoding.

MITM_Fan
Jun 9, 2009, 08:26 AM
If only a Videoclip of 4mins in 1080i is 609MB (.ts) then I can guess surely that a complete MITM 20mins is 2.50GB , it's not much.

I don't really like interlace, I hate it cuz.. the image gets lines, so please de-interlace to 1080p (optional if

And btw, they all widescreen except season 1 to 4 (or 3) so, it will be 1980 * 1080 (16:9) / 1440 * 1080 (4:3).

My PC can't really handle 1080P process so I'm better off with 720p. Even althoug we can manually activate the filters but in my case it makes the image even slower in 1080p.

Question: My PC can't handle 1080p but do can 1080i, why is that?

live4mitm
Jun 9, 2009, 08:56 AM
That's sad that the first season are only upscaled, but I think all seasons are widescreen except of 1+3.

tjpeople
Jun 9, 2009, 04:56 PM
To clear things up.

All season are widescreen that ain't an issue.

I'm pretty certain that you can't just go from 1080i to 1080p. 1080p has a lot more data that 1080i. You would be up scaling. No broadcast/satellite/cable TV (except BBC HD) is broadcast in anything higher than 1080i, you won't find any 1080p TV downloads that didn't come ripped from Blu-ray or HDDVD or BBCHD. However once we have the all the equipment Batch can run a test and see how thngs look.

Batch - wow I'm surrpsied sky1 hd upscales but wikipedia confirm that.

To coincide with launch of Sky HD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky%2B_HD), Sky1 HD began broadcasting in May 2006. The channel is a simulcast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulcast) of Sky1 and screens high-definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television) versions of some of the channel's programming, which include Lost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_%28TV_Series%29), Bones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bones_%28TV_Series%29), later episodes of Malcolm in the Middle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_in_the_Middle), and most recently new episodes of The Simpsons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons#Animation). Programmes that are not available in HD are upscaled. Sky have stated that they intend to increase the amount of HD content they show, and hope that by the end of 2008, two thirds of all prime time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_time#Prime_Time_in_the_United_Kingdom) shows, and 90% of their own original commissions, will be in HD.<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky1#cite_note-1)</sup> There was also a new Sky1 HD logo which was introduced along with the rebrand on 31 August (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_31) 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008) and this logo can be seen on the right.

However do we know what seasons are upscalled and which are true HD, does skyhd box say? Sky's listing on thier website call a Simpson episode from ages ago HD (way before simpsons where HD) so that has to be upscaled.

We need to know what season are going to be in HD, so that we don't say to people "donate and get all episodes in HD" and then when it comes to it we can only get 2 seasons.

Batch - You take the .ts and encode on your PC right? Cause the PVR says it can do the conversion itself but I think it would be best if we kept the raw .ts as the pure source files and then can try whatever conversions we like after, that make sense?

Meaning we could make a conversion with .mkv but then also if we wanted do a .mp4.

I'd love to see those samples if you can find them Batch.

MITM_Fan
Jun 9, 2009, 05:00 PM
tjpeople, dunno but QC is the answer well see this..

QC = Quality Checker

Checks that the quality is higher and compares, so that's how we'll know if it's really in HD or just an Upscale.

Normally if it's a Upscale then the quality get's fuck up (pixels).

Batch
Jun 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'm pretty certain that you can't just go from 1080i to 1080p. 1080p has a lot more data that 1080i. You would be up scaling.

Both 1080i and 1080p are 1920 x 1080 so no upscaing is required. The difference being that with 1080i, the picture alternates between two 1920 x 540 rapidly, whereas 1080p is always 1920 x 1080. The difference therefore is the framerate, with 1080p effectively 50fps and 1080i 25fps. This really only makes a difference with fast movements (e.g. Sport), on MITM the dfference should be barely noticeable.

However do we know what seasons are upscalled and which are true HD, does skyhd box say? Sky's listing on thier website call a Simpson episode from ages ago HD (way before simpsons where HD) so that has to be upscaled.

We need to know what season are going to be in HD, so that we don't say to people "donate and get all episodes in HD" and then when it comes to it we can only get 2 seasons.

Yep, although all online site don't say, the SkyHD Planner distinguishes between HD and Upsaced. I'll have to investigate.

Batch - You take the .ts and encode on your PC right? Cause the PVR says it can do the conversion itself but I think it would be best if we kept the raw .ts as the pure source files and then can try whatever conversions we like after, that make sense?

Meaning we could make a conversion with .mkv but then also if we wanted do a .mp4.

I'd love to see those samples if you can find them Batch.

The .ts at max bitrate 1080i will be encoded in X264 at 13.5mbps (2.3gb per episode) as no channels broadcast higher bitrates than this. I have dedicated software for the conversion which i'm sure will be better than that included. Makes sense to keep then as source files.

Still looking for the samples, they're somewhere in this (http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-pcs/800038-hauppauge-hd-pvr.html) thread

tjpeople
Jun 9, 2009, 06:49 PM
They put up a 1080i .ts sample here http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-pcs/800038-hauppauge-hd-pvr-4.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/137821765/Wallace_and_Gromit.ts.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/138667917/Casino-Royale.ts.html

live4mitm
Jun 10, 2009, 01:18 AM
So do we only record the real HD seasons or the upscaled too? Because the other episodes you can download here are very bad quality, so maybe we could make very good SD episodes too. Or is it to much work.

MITM_Fan
Jun 10, 2009, 07:11 AM
So do we only record the real HD seasons or the upscaled too? Because the other episodes you can download here are very bad quality, so maybe we could make very good SD episodes too. Or is it to much work.

Well that depends, if it's a release from scene or with a proper file name then the quality isn't bad instead pretty good.

To make the quality better just activate filters/shaders.

I use CCCP + MPC, for visualization to watch Anime and etc is great!

live4mitm
Jun 11, 2009, 05:47 PM
So what is going on now?

tjpeople
Jun 13, 2009, 03:34 PM
So what is going on now?

Batch is checking for sure, which seasons are broadcast in HD.

I'm setting up the donations system.

Donors will have access to a special sub-forum where the episodes will be posted.

Batch
Jun 13, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks TJ.

I can confirm seasons 1 to 3 are just upscaled. Season 4 starts airing July 1st, so i'll check then, here's hoping so.

tjpeople
Jun 13, 2009, 05:26 PM
Thats a shame. Because season 4 and 5 didn't air in HD, I'm not holding my breath. Because they would have had to have re-scanned the film for HD.

Maybe we could contact SKY and they'd be able to tell us in advance.

However this of course doesn't rule out getting High resolution upscalled versions of earlier seasons. What do people think?

We will be collecting in USD$ because most visitors are from the states. However it doesn't matter where you live as Paypal does the conversion.

I'm setting the minimum at $15 (which is about 9 & €10.50)

live4mitm
Jun 13, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hey, that's cool that you guys do all the stuff, I really would like to have the upscaled seasons too. 720p or 1080i/p? And 15$ is absolutely OK, but I think we have to make little Samples to that the donors know what they get, from the HD and upscaled ones.

tjpeople
Jun 13, 2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure if we are going to be able to get exact samples. We need the equipment first...

We can give "general" samples, such as the ones posted in this thread.

MITM_Fan
Jun 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
Batch is checking for sure, which seasons are broadcast in HD.

I'm setting up the donations system.

Donors will have access to a special sub-forum where the episodes will be posted.

heh hope 5 or 10 that what I can afford really, sorry it isn't more.

AlexTheMartian
Jun 13, 2009, 11:52 PM
I can probably do $20 USD, only if I know for sure this can't be mistaken as buying episodes, because that is illegal and i am not doing anything illegal. however I am more than happy to help someone afford HD and computer equipment.

Richiepiep
Jun 14, 2009, 06:40 PM
Because I don't have HD TV, and don't have some super broadband connection and unlimited disk space, I'm sorry but I won't contribute. I'm not likely to spend months downloading.

I'm really quite happy with the Torrents you put up (thanks a bunch, again!) and my own heart-warmingly nostalgic grainy videotape and DVD recordings with those lovely chunky Dutch subtitles stuck under them!

Rich

(Not to mention those company logos and parental advisory labels splashed all over it - yes, you get used to them, even attached after a while ;))

Lparsons7981
Jun 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
Because I don't have HD TV, and don't have some super broadband connection and unlimited disk space, I'm sorry but I won't contribute. I'm not likely to spend months downloading.

I'm really quite happy with the Torrents you put up (thanks a bunch, again!) and my own heart-warmingly nostalgic grainy videotape and DVD recordings with those lovely chunky Dutch subtitles stuck under them!

Rich

(Not to mention those company logos and parental advisory labels splashed all over it - yes, you get used to them, even attached after a while ;))

Same for me in regards to disk space. These regular definition episodes are just about filling what is left of my hard drive after my music etc. The difference is great, but not worth it in my situation. I might donate though just to help out if I get some cash in the near future.

AlexTheMartian
Jun 14, 2009, 10:03 PM
can always just go down to a electronics store and buy an external hard drive.

Once you plug them in and connect them with USB, Firewire, or eSATA (those are in ascending order of speed, use the fastest you can), then they show up exactly the same in your computer as your internal hard drive.

They now even sell 1.5 TB and 2 TB hard drives, a TB is roughly 1000 GB, can you imagine what you can do with drives that large!

Batch
Jun 15, 2009, 07:43 AM
They now even sell 1.5 TB and 2 TB hard drives, a TB is roughly 1000 GB, can you imagine what you can do with drives that large!

I'm currenty using 2.8/3.5tb that I have. Without HD these would not be necessary, but when each Blu-ray rip comes in at 10-15gb and a TV series in HD about 25gb, they quickly fill up!

MITM_Fan
Jun 15, 2009, 11:58 AM
I'm currenty using 2.8/3.5tb that I have. Without HD these would not be necessary, but when each Blu-ray rip comes in at 10-15gb and a TV series in HD about 25gb, they quickly fill up!

Yes about that each season will take up 20-25GB because they are in HD [1.8GB] possibly.

live4mitm
Jun 15, 2009, 12:54 PM
I think for the best TV Show you could buy an external HDD, it isn't more expensive than the DVDs or Blu-Rays would have been.

When are we able to donate?

MITM_Fan
Jun 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
A 1TB Hard disk has 930GB-950GB, as so as a 500GB has 465GB in max and a 160GB has 152GB.

It sounds cool to say "I have 1TB" I do indeed but it's 931GB in maximum.

Approx the complete serie in HD will be around 175GB.

live4mitm
Jun 15, 2009, 02:00 PM
When I record one episode from SDTV it its 750 MB (mpeg2). So HD is much better, but only a little bit bigger. And let's stop the discuss about HDDs.

tjpeople
Jun 15, 2009, 02:49 PM
When are we able to donate?

We have to finalise what seasons we are going to be able to get in HD.

Tyno
Jun 22, 2009, 08:08 PM
As some other members said, I'm concerned about the size of those HD rips that you propose. Personally, I am not interessed in getting 1080i rips, nor 720p. It's more the widescreen aspect that I want, actually.

Wouldn't it be possible to convert the 1080i or 720p rips that you would make in 175 Mo rips as well? You know, regular so called "HDTV" rips. That way, more people would be likely to donate.

diviniquity
Jun 23, 2009, 07:24 AM
Would a CAM solution really be that precarious? The Hauppage PVR's quality is good, but analog recordings are always going to be inferior.

I think that the people who are complaining about drive space/internet speed now will eat their words as their TV screens get larger (XVID looks bad enough on a 22" screen, let alone 50"+), but it shouldn't be difficult to make smaller XVID encodes as well.

tjpeople
Jun 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
Would a CAM solution really be that precarious? The Hauppage PVR's quality is good, but analog recordings are always going to be inferior.

I think that the people who are complaining about drive space/internet speed now will eat their words as their TV screens get larger (XVID looks bad enough on a 22" screen, let alone 50"+), but it shouldn't be difficult to make smaller XVID encodes as well.

The CAM solution is very precarious, it could stop working any day now. We can't invest in a system that will break.

Watch the samples posted earlier in the thread, they are very good. I agree in theory pure digital will be better however I'm not sure whether we will notice any real difference.

Smaller XviD encodes can of course be made, thats not an issue, however thats not the focus here.

MITM_Fan
Jun 23, 2009, 10:59 AM
As some other members said, I'm concerned about the size of those HD rips that you propose. Personally, I am not interessed in getting 1080i rips, nor 720p. It's more the widescreen aspect that I want, actually.

Wouldn't it be possible to convert the 1080i or 720p rips that you would make in 175 Mo rips as well? You know, regular so called "HDTV" rips. That way, more people would be likely to donate.

He can do HDTV-Rips with actual HD quality, remember BR-Rips (Blu-Ray Rips) for DivX home players? that has the same quality but it was downscaled to 700x304 so you see it's possible here too.

Maybe 175mb won't do but 200-230mb will, hmm.. 720p usually on scene are all about 500mb that's not very big. :D That's great for small Hard Drives.

live4mitm
Jun 23, 2009, 12:56 PM
I think the smaller SD episodes should also be h.264 codec and not xvid, because it is better quality and takes less place, or MPEG2 for DVD.

live4mitm
Jul 3, 2009, 02:41 PM
Really long process :s

Batch
Jul 3, 2009, 06:04 PM
Seasons 1 to 4 not in HD. It's looking like it may just be 6 & 7 :(

marcos.archer
Jul 4, 2009, 02:27 PM
it would be so cool if someone posts that in torrent.

MITM_Fan
Jul 4, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think the smaller SD episodes should also be h.264 codec and not xvid, because it is better quality and takes less place, or MPEG2 for DVD.

Have to disagree as a great example look at BDRips and BRRips, the quality is great and they're in AVI container.

If you don't have clue what I'm talking about then take a look;

http://i41.tinypic.com/s0yi2v.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/34slyyq.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/16712jr.jpg

Those screens were from Dumb and Dumber BRRip.

BDRip = Blu-Ray Disc Rip
BRRip = Blu-Ray Rip
HDRip = HD-DVD Rip
HDTVRip = HDTV Rip

The sources are 1080p, 720p and then with the process they take they make into 720x304 with the same quality just with SD resolution.

live4mitm
Jul 4, 2009, 05:11 PM
What is the difference between Blu-ray rip and blu-ray disc rip?
But what I meant was that h.264 is better as XviD for SD and HD. It is the newer codec, you get greater quality but need less space, no matter what the source is. For e.g. when you rip a blu-ray to a 700mb xvid it looks not as good as when you rip it to a 700mb h.264.
And what did you want to show with the dum and dumber screens? The quality of a 720x304 avi is not the same quality as a blu-ray at all.

Sorry when my english is not good, I'm from germany :p

MITM_Fan
Jul 4, 2009, 06:19 PM
What is the difference between Blu-ray rip and blu-ray disc rip?
But what I meant was that h.264 is better as XviD for SD and HD. It is the newer codec, you get greater quality but need less space, no matter what the source is. For e.g. when you rip a blu-ray to a 700mb xvid it looks not as good as when you rip it to a 700mb h.264.
And what did you want to show with the dum and dumber screens? The quality of a 720x304 avi is not the same quality as a blu-ray at all.

Sorry when my english is not good, I'm from germany :p

BRRip = already ripped in the container mkv for example.

BDRip = ripped from the blu-ray disc.

Encoding into x264 is unecessarily done, XviD is fine for this, there is no need, even they've done in the scene BDRips/BRRips 720p and look wonderful in AVI container, so just like I said, no need for x264.

live4mitm
Jul 11, 2009, 06:28 PM
Any news?

Richiepiep
Jul 25, 2009, 06:16 PM
Yes, all seasons were filmed on Film with Panavision (http://www.panavision.com/) Cameras, so they could broadcast all in HD. So I think we have to wait like you just said, until somebody does the work for us and then we contact each other here.

Yes, this looks like a 35mm Panavision Panaflex film camera, so not a video camera. I hope someone else is better qualified to identify the camera, because it must be easy from a picture a clear as this! It's a still from Evacuation, episode 2.24.

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/gallery/data/741/medium/Malcolm-in-the-Middle-2x24-Evacuation-MITMVC-2.jpg

Rich

MITM_Fan
Jul 25, 2009, 08:25 PM
tj, I have an idea which, if the HD episodes come out, you or someone could sell them with DVD Covers, DVD and etc just like an original, this is for the ones that prefer having in DVD, is this possible to happen?

Let's say it could cost 15/20 not expensive nor cheap, for each season.

This wouldn't be a rip-off basically because it's donations, and too it would be superior to those DVDs that people sell *bootlegs*.

Selling in DVDs I just meant have them in the original container .mkv, a box, dvd and the dvd cover. Not menus or BS because that would take alot of quality.

tjpeople
Jul 25, 2009, 09:50 PM
It is against site rules and we have no intention of profiting from other people's work.

We will never sell or support the selling of DVD or downloads.

live4mitm
Jul 26, 2009, 08:08 AM
Yes, this looks like a 35mm Panavision Panaflex film camera, so not a video camera. I hope someone else is better qualified to identify the camera, because it must be easy from a picture a clear as this! It's a still from Evacuation, episode 2.24.

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/gallery/data/741/medium/Malcolm-in-the-Middle-2x24-Evacuation-MITMVC-2.jpg

Rich

It's very good they fimed it on film, so even when HDTV is outdated they can re-scan the film because 35mm is much better than 1080p. You can't really specify the resolution of film, but a 35mm film is about 7200 x 4800 pixels, I'm watching mitm in 720x576 :D

Richiepiep
Jul 26, 2009, 07:00 PM
It's very good they fimed it on film, so even when HDTV is outdated they can re-scan the film because 35mm is much better than 1080p. You can't really specify the resolution of film, but a 35mm film is about 7200 x 4800 pixels, I'm watching mitm in 720x576 :D

I guess it would even have been better if they'd stuck with the 65mm and 70mm Panavision film strips used a few decades ago? Or doesn't that necessarily mean a better resolution? I hope I understand. I guess it's the same with high-quality analogue audio tapes you can redigitize, rather than low-res DDD recordings that can only remain as good or poor as they are?

Rich

ronbin
Aug 12, 2009, 05:04 AM
It's been a long time since my last visit. I've just read this thread and I'm so excited! MITM in HD!!!!

Are the chapters from Sky uncut? And 16:9? Iwould love to have the whole series in 16:9...

Of course, it will be a pleasure donating for the cause :)

Richiepiep
Aug 31, 2009, 01:55 PM
So what film format was used for MITM?

From the book Short Films 101: How to make a short film and launch your filmmaking career: "The exposure of 16mm is the same as the exposure for 35mm. A lot of television shows like Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle and Roswell are shot on 16mm."

Cinematography.net:

http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pages/ShowsShotOn16mm.htm

"Some current shows on S(uper)16mm (nobody shoots on straight 16 anymore) that I can quickly recall are:

Gilmore Girls
One Tree Hill
Malcolm in the Middle
Tru Calling (could be 35mm for the coming season, not sure)
The OC
Monk
Dead Zone
Scrubs"

http://www.geronimocreek.com/S16-1.html

"Super 16 is winning back a lot of support among the film community due to the introduction of new enhanced finer grained film stocks (Kodak VISION 2 & FIJIFILM), the development of ultra-sharp and optically superior lenses and use of the DI (digital intermediate) process to eliminate the resolution loss associated with 35mm blow-up. As a result, the overall quality of the Super 16 image has improved significantly in the last 10 years.

THESE EPISODIC TV SHOWS ARE ALL SHOT IN SUPER 16MM:

Sex in the City
The OC
Monk
Scrubs
The Shield
One Tree Hill
Dawson's Creek
Malcolm in the Middle
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Touched by an Angel
The Outer Limits"

For those really (professionally) familiar with movie cameras, take a look at our production stills in the Gallery: Behind the scenes subsection (http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=741)

tedwilder
Aug 31, 2009, 03:35 PM
yep right like I said on the shoutcast stuff It's not on 35mm. the reason is money. Besides super 16 the trick is to use special film : it has to do with the number of hole on each sides of the film : for series they use the cheaper one that means you have less hole on each side ( dont remember the correct name ). this way you have less image per second that usual 24fps 35mm for movies so your film footage is longer per inch of film. I was talking about that because someone said 16/9 is not crop while 4/3 is crop. that really depends on orginal shot and just saying it was made on pana. is not enough. Most series are made by and for television hence 4/3 native format. (take a look at the image above : the camera monitor is 4/3 not 16/9 ). Of course you can digitally remaster 4/3 to 16/9 and vice-versa. Be aware that HD doesnt mean better than original. That's a common trick they use to lure ppl with no knowledge. Expanding a picture pixels doesnt mean you have a better quality at the output but yeah it's HD ... lol

Richiepiep
Aug 31, 2009, 06:15 PM
yep right like I said on the shoutcast stuff It's not on 35mm. the reason is money. Besides super 16 the trick is to use special film : it has to do with the number of hole on each sides of the film : for series they use the cheaper one that means you have less hole on each side ( dont remember the correct name ). this way you have less image per second that usual 24fps 35mm for movies so your film footage is longer per inch of film. I was talking about that because someone said 16/9 is not crop while 4/3 is crop. that really depends on orginal shot and just saying it was made on pana. is not enough. Most series are made by and for television hence 4/3 native format. (take a look at the image above : the camera monitor is 4/3 not 16/9 ). Of course you can digitally remaster 4/3 to 16/9 and vice-versa. Be aware that HD doesnt mean better than original. That's a common trick they use to lure ppl with no knowledge. Expanding a picture pixels doesnt mean you have a better quality at the output but yeah it's HD ... lol

Thanks again, Ted. You mean 'perforation'. I didn't know at all that Super 16mm would run at slower speeds. It really sounds unlikely to me, because I assume (so perhaps wrongly) that 24 images per second is always the standard speed, otherwise the movement will get jerky. (of course there are faster recording speeds than 24 for slow motion in projection and slower for speeded-up motion, but that's obvious).

Yes, there can be a variety of cropping methods, depending on the original format in which it was shot. Wide screen is not just one aspect ratio of 16/9 (which equals 1.77:1), but can vary between 1.66:1 and 2.55:1, depending on the process. This would entail endless possibilities of post-production cropping and re-adjustments to various media.

Rich

MITM_Fan
Sep 5, 2009, 08:55 AM
So how is this developing?

If it's only seasons 6 and 7, I give up.

tjpeople
Sep 5, 2009, 09:16 AM
From what Batch has said only 6 & 7 are broadcast in HD on Sky1.

Batch what's your situation on recording? Guessing your back at uni soon? Shall we start fund-raising for next summer?

Batch
Sep 5, 2009, 10:31 AM
Yep, season 6 is airing at the moment in HD and season 7 i already know to be in HD, so just the 2 seasons.

Correct, back to uni at the end of the month, so 9 months fundraising for next summer would be good!

tjpeople
Sep 5, 2009, 10:40 AM
Yep, season 6 is airing at the moment in HD and season 7 i already know to be in HD, so just the 2 seasons.

Correct, back to uni at the end of the month, so 9 months fundraising for next summer would be good!

Yes, unless we have some rich donors it could take a while to raise it.

You're still up for it which is great :)

The focus would be HD but there is no reason why we couldn't do some higher quality recordings of seasons 1-5 as well.

deweyinthemiddle
Sep 5, 2009, 11:52 AM
Actually, if you check the gallery you will see that Season 5 is in HD. http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=516But is Sky1 airing it in HD?

tjpeople
Sep 5, 2009, 12:22 PM
Actually, if you check the gallery you will see that Season 5 is in HD. http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=516But is Sky1 airing it in HD?

deweyinthemiddle, there is nothing in the gallery that indicates season 5 was ever broadcast in HD.

As is said in this thread Sky1 air seasons 6 & 7 in HD, seasons 1-5 they upscale.

deweyinthemiddle
Sep 5, 2009, 12:37 PM
Oh, I thought they were because most of the pictures were widescreen.:s

Because Fox and FX airs/aired them in widescreen calling it Broadcast in Fox High Resolution Widescreen. But, it might be HD on FXHD

AlexTheMartian
Sep 5, 2009, 07:40 PM
"High Resolution", "High Definition". Two different things. All "High Resolution" (which is not any official term) means is it is a higher resolution, not necessarily as high as high def

in simple words, they are trying to trick you into thinking it is HD, but they would just say it is if it was

MITM_Fan
Sep 5, 2009, 08:28 PM
"High Resolution", "High Definition". Two different things. All "High Resolution" (which is not any official term) means is it is a higher resolution, not necessarily as high as high def

in simple words, they are trying to trick you into thinking it is HD, but they would just say it is if it was

Yep that's correct.

High Resolution is 853x480 or 960x544 and High Definition starts really at 960x720 it's in 4:3 format, the 16:9 is 1280x720, well everyone knows this.

deweyinthemiddle
Sep 6, 2009, 09:05 AM
Oh, well I think it is airing in HD on FX, but yeah this was before FOX aired things in high-def. "High Res Widescreen", wow they are cheap:(. I mean they could have scanned the film to make it really HD, but they don't and make you think that it is!

CKhaleel
Dec 12, 2009, 12:04 AM
I can do something, I have Season 7 in HD I can record off my TV, and can upscale it to 720p using Sony Vegas, to make it from high res crap to high def awesomeness.

ronbin
Jul 8, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hey there. Is this project still alive? I don't care a lot about HD episodes, but i would like to see season 3 in 16:9. Is there any plans to record and upload this season?

Tyno
Aug 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
I'll ask the same question: what about this project?

tjpeople
Aug 17, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'll ask the same question: what about this project?

I don't have the time at the moment to make it happen.

Widescreen
Mar 27, 2011, 03:16 AM
all eps where filmed in HD but they where saved to SD 720x480 16:9 but then after a couple of seasons they changed to 35mm film so then saved the eps to to 1920x1080p but because fox only broadcast in 720p so there was no 1920x1080 but if fox broadcast in 1920x1080 and played the eps again we would have 1920x1080 eps

because of all the music that they used on Malcolm in the middle there will never be any other seasons besides session 1 on dvd as it would cost them way to much to get the copyrights for all the music/songs used

tjpeople
Mar 27, 2011, 08:40 PM
all eps where filmed in HD but they where saved to SD 720x480 16:9 but then after a couple of seasons they changed to 35mm film so then saved the eps to to 1920x1080p but because fox only broadcast in 720p so there was no 1920x1080 but if fox broadcast in 1920x1080 and played the eps again we would have 1920x1080 eps

because of all the music that they used on Malcolm in the middle there will never be any other seasons besides session 1 on dvd as it would cost them way to much to get the copyrights for all the music/songs used

Welcome Widescreen, you are right in some ways wrong in others.

All the episodes where shot on film. Film can be converted (scanned) to SD (standard definition) or HD (high definition).

As far as we know only season 6 & 7 have been converted to HD. I'm sure the original film remains and therefore there could be HD releases of earlier seasons.

For some of the original broadcasts (and broadcasts to this day, depending on the channel) and the season 1 DVD the episodes where cropped to 4:3.

These where later re-broadcast in 16:9 widescreen.

Season 6 & 7 where broadcasts in HD.

We don't know what resolution the film was converted at, so they may have to re-do season 6 & 7 if they wanted to have 1080p HD.

You are correct in saying music rights issues are an issue for season 2, however we don't know if this effects later seasons and there may well be other reasons for the lack of DVD releases.

screamjojo
May 13, 2012, 08:05 AM
Hello everybody !

What's news about HD episodes ?

Recently I've had the equipment to record in HD and I have a few episodes but I'm french and it's only french language in channel TV France ...
Screenshot of season 2 : http://nsa25.casimages.com/img/2012/05/13/120513021352319839.png

Chunky Malcolm
Jun 2, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hmm... my computer could probably handle it. (64-bit, dedicated video card, etc.) The only thing for me is money. I don't exactly have that much just floating around. I'd really like to help with the project, though. :yes:

Magic-J
Jun 7, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hello everybody !

What's news about HD episodes ?

Recently I've had the equipment to record in HD and I have a few episodes but I'm french and it's only french language in channel TV France ...
Screenshot of season 2 : http://nsa25.casimages.com/img/2012/05/13/120513021352319839.png

The episodes on Paris Premiere are the same as the episodes you can see on M6 which are not in HD it's just upscaled and the worst thing is they cropped the 4:3 format to make a 14:9 TV format which sucks when you know that all this show does actually exists in 16:9. :mad:

Another time french TV is lame...

I have the complete season 2 in widescreen (not HD but at least it's 16:9) and it's in french. I also have some episodes from the season 1,3,4,5,6 and 7 in french widescreen.

DanielUSA
Jul 21, 2012, 06:04 PM
HD episodes of the entire season 7 are available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Man-HD/dp/B00622DCOQ

mass5160
Sep 27, 2012, 04:15 AM
I haven't read through the entire thread, but if its not been discussed already, I know of a place that offers season 7 in 720p, however it is only in French. Doesn't stop the sound tracks being easily replaced though.
Also; haven't got a clue whether there are cuts to the episodes or not, but if anyone is interested, I guess I could grab them and do something with them.

Magic-J
Sep 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
I am the guy who uploaded the season 7 in french and HD.

You can get the episodes in english here: http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6749

mass5160
Sep 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
I am the guy who uploaded the season 7 in french and HD.

You can get the episodes in english here: http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6749

Cheers for that. :)