When they filmed the series?

cadmiumgold

Did they film like a whole season over the summer, or did they film each episode a month or a week or whatever before they aired? I've always wondered this, like how much of their lives they actually spent on set and did they have tutors and stuff?

AlexTheMartian

About the actual time of year it was filmed, the show looks like it is filmed in the fall/autumn in many episodes, so either each episode was filmed just prior to its airing, or the season was filmed at the end of the year previous to its broadcast. Anyone knows???

I work in the television industry (however post-production, and not filming), and I know for scripted shows (not reality shows) it will be very difficult to leave only 1 week between filming and broadcast, as even more-so with a show like Malcolm, there is a great deal of post-production which is either editing or music, etc.

Last edited:

cadmiumgold

They can't have been filmed in the summer if they had tutors, so maybe they were in the autumn. They never talked about it in interviews? but yeh, I bet it took a lot of editing

AlexTheMartian

I think someone like eric said he sometimes went to school, sometimes had a tutor when at studio. so I think they were enrolled in an actual school, but had a tutor if they were filming on a school day, so they can make up whatever they missed in classes.

I do not know what schools Frankie or Eric went to, but I know Justin Berfield is listed as actually attending Agoura High School here north-west of Los Angeles, CA, and all 4 years of high school would have taken place during the course of the show for him, since he was 14 when Malcolm in the Middle began.