Hating On Our Man Frankie

• Thread starter Deleted member 1693
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1693

You know what I notice? Some people are turned off to MITM just because of Muniz.

He may not be the handsomest tool in the shed (each to his or her own, TJ :p) and he may have a car obsession (whether you agree or not isn't the point), but that is definitely no reason to veto the show.

A guy I know said that he hated MITM. I questioned him further and he hadn't even watched an entire episode of it. I mentioned characters and he didn't even know any of them. But he seemed to have much to say about Frankie. When I was in a chatroom one time, all they seemed to respond is in hate for him and, also for no reason, MITM. And no knowledge of the show at all, to boot.

You don't have to fall in love with a main character in order to appreciate a show. At all. These people don't know what they're missing because of unjustified disregard and dislike toward that one actor and nothing else.

Hell, most people don't even know he was in Malcolm in the Middle before (during?) his spy movies and Big Fat Liar. I didn't, before. Either you know about the show and that Frankie is in it or you don't know about it at all. And, not surprisingly, the more you know about something, the more you can learn to like it.

It's always best to experience something before you tag your opinion on it. No matter what.

...Beck is a scientologist, but people still appreciate him and his music. Most people don't even know or care about his religion. Case in frickin' point.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalcolmFun

In general not many people becomes a superstar from being on a sitcom. I think the unfortunate truth is that the fame level of Muniz exploded an order of magnitute beyond Malcolm in the Middle itself because his fame is not just created by the show but his involvement in young Hollywood culture and crap such as Punked! or the 1000 other things he did. This means there are lots of people out there who know who he is yet never saw Malcolm. Who knows what kinds of opinions you can come up with if you are going to be so superficial?

AlexTheMartian

My first college roommate disliked Malcolm in the Middle. His favorite show was The OC, and I disliked that show (not because I didn't like an actor on it, it is just not a genre I like), so really I was fine with the situation, we both disliked our favorite shows :p. However, we had people over and we all watched the Sunday shows on FOX and this was during the last season of MITM, so we all ended up watching the show anyways. Hahah now I think about it, I think the fact the rest of us were watching Malcolm in the Middle, he was kind of forced to sit and watch. I had another roommate after who would not watch Everybody Loves Raymond because he doesn't like Ray Romano.

People find the smallest thing to be a reason to dislike something, and they go with it. My dad dislikes Johnny Depp, for the reason my dad is a huge Stephen King fan and he was disappointed on how Secret Window came out with Jonney Depp as the star of the movie. Now he will not watch any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, even though those kind of action films are one of his favorite types.

Oh and there is tons of people that will not watch any of the Star Wars. and every one those people that I met, I have been able to have them sit through any of the movies and enjoy it. Heck I had a roommate that told me he hated Star Wars, and he went on his own and watched the entire boxset of Episodes 4-6, lol. On the case of Star Wars, I think it is all the hype surrounding it some people do not like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1693

My best friend's favorite show is the OC also and I dislike it for the same reasons. She forced me to sit through three or so episodes and I forced her to sit through three or so episodes of Malcolm. We both still don't like each others' shows.

You know, it's strange. I want her to appreciate my show, but how can she when I can't even stand hers? If someone is not into something and I am, I tend to try to force it on them. It's not a good habit. :D

As for Star Wars, I was never really into any science fiction books or movies other than "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" series by Douglas Adams and "Feed" by M.T. Andersen. My mom told me that I simply walked out of the cinema after 15 minutes of a Star Wars movie when I was 6 or 7. Lol.

W

we_dye

I actually cannot understand why Frankie Muniz has become this mega superstar all of a sudden. Okay, MITM had seen some emerging popularity, but it was ultimately just a sitcom. It is rare for any sitcom star to become more famous than the show they are part of.

His wide range of movies are so bad they are all destined for the bargain bucket at Wilkinsons. This is a chavvy shop which sells just about anything; from industrial paint to toothpaste at rock bottom prices and is the last place one would consider visiting to puchase a movie. Yet three of his DVDs are in the bargain bucket at the shop's Eccles store, where you can buy two of them for £4.00. Also in the bargin bucket is half price Timotei and some dodgy looking felt tips.

It cannot be due to his looks either because he isn't really that handsome. I know this view is subjective and I am sure al lot here find him rather "hot". But there are other actors (even those on MITM) that are better on the eye. I think Frankie looks like a Dolmio puppet and doesn't really have anything interesting to say in real life other than his big house and many big cars (he has more vehicles than the M25). And we all know what they say about guys whom drive large cars :).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1693

It is a bit strange. I guess he's just an odd guy. A break from the normal, unbelievably gorgeous stars that lend their face year after year to romantic comedies and pretentious action films. He's a guy that never quite grew up and tries his hardest to live his dreams with all of the wealth and fame he's got now.

I don't know what a Dolmio puppet is, but he is pretty caricaturable. No one I've seen has a face quite like that. Maybe people find that attractive...?

And lol at the "dodgy felt tip pins" and the last sentence. :D

MalcolmFun

I actually cannot understand why Frankie Muniz has become this mega superstar all of a sudden.

His wide range of movies are so bad they are all destined for the bargain bucket at Wilkinsons.
ROFL

The thing is I think he really is a good actor it is just he was in silly things. If you know Ropert and Ebert, the @the movie review critics, I agree with what they said about the Agent movie which was that the secret mission he was stuck with was to "find a better script". They had nothing bad to say about Frankie and said he could be the next Michael J Fox, which I totally agree with. Just the guy next door actor, not the tradional leading man. After being in the lead in the rediculous agent movies you can already see this is how he was then cast in Stay Alive, as the likeable sidekick geek. Same in Criminal Minds, he was a comic book geek who's whole world was shattered when the hot chick he managed to get was taken away from him.

MalcolmFun

It really is a shame I still find most people have never seen Malcolm. it just didnt catch the cultural train like Friends, Seinfeld or Cheers did. But Frankie himself entered the popular culture anyways. Just as an example of how unfortunately Muniz's fame doesnt even have anything to do with what he has been in and how the "hating" on him is not even based on anything real... well here is an example Best Week Ever totally unapolagetic bashing based on nothing. I dont watch that crap show but a quick search there reveals he was bashed a dozen times the past year.
http://www.bestweekever.tv/2007/04/12/hot-trend-alert-the-muniz/

D

Deleted member 1693

I agree. It is a shame.

It's really his choice what he does with his face. What anyone does with their face!

PhatBack

While I never liked Frankie as an actor outside of Malcolm, I always, and I mean always loved him in Malcolm. However, I will not deny that I liked him acting next to Amanda Bynes in Big Fat Liar.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1693

I agree wholeheartedly.

BFL wasn't such a bad movie, though. Maybe one of his best as a kid.

MalcolmFun

My question would be what was he ever in that might have been good except he wasnt up to it as an actor? I cant think of anything. In fact I think he tends to carry the stuff he was in even when he is dealing with a piece of crap script.

Look at Big Fat Liar. What is great about that? It is a silly movie with a story geared towards 12 year olds. I have seen this movie a couple times and still find it amusing as an adult because of
A)Frankie Muniz and B)Amanda Bynes
They carry it. The story is not funny. These 2 make it amusing. Substitute some other random actors that dont have the same charisma between them and the movie is junk.

Frankie's problem in the past is having been in silly stuff with crap scripts and in the future it is that he does not have regular adult leading male features. I dont think there is any basis at all to question his actual acting or comic talent.

AlexTheMartian

It will take a long time for people to take Frankie seriously as an actor, they all still view him as a child sitcom star, and still will for a while.

I do believe there is potential of him being a respected actor, I think his best (and possibly only) serious drama acting role been in the one episode of Criminal Minds.