Character names.

• Thread starter Deleted member 1693
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1693

It is possible this has been discussed before, but I was wondering...

Where did the names of the Wilkersons come from? I mean, you don't exactly meet lots of Malcolms or Reeses on the street. Maybe they were random, but I'd like to look deeper into this. Here are the origins and meanings.

Malcolm: Scottish name. Means "follower of Saint Columbus".
More info: From Scottish Mael Coluim which means "disciple of Saint COLUMBA".

Reese: Welsh name. Means "running" or "enthusiasm".
More info: Derived from Rhys (pronounced the same).

Dewey: Welsh name. Means "beloved".
More info: Derived from David.

Francis: Latin name. Means "free" or "Frenchman".
Lois: Greek name. Means "better".
Jamie: English name. Means "supplanter".

Hal: English name. Means "home ruler".
More info: Hal is the medieval pet form of Harry, which in turn is the medieval English form of Henry, which means "home ruler".

Malcolm doesn't make much sense, but it does fit in the title as a substitution for "monkey (in the middle)". Reese's character and "running" have a lot in common (to or from his family or a problem); and easily "enthusiasm". "Beloved" describes Dewey even as he gets older because he is more benevolent than his brothers. The meaning of Francis's name makes a lot of sense, seeing how he is far away from home and freed from the world he used to know. The combination of the parents' names to me is funny... It seems Lois is "better" (than the average mom...?) than a "home ruler" (also makes sense, as a dad, although slightly ironic in his case). Jamie means "supplanter" (to replace something with another thing)?! This could obviously relate to Dewey's spot as the youngest being taken from him!

On another note, I find it funny that Stevie Kenarban shares his first name with Stevie Wonder, another disabled "genius" (of sorts). :)

Any thoughts? Want me to put more names up? Just say so.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1693

Oh, and I just found out that Malcolm can also mean "dove" and Reese can also mean "river". And it's kind of a coincidence because my name means dove (Paloma).