Eight People, Seven Sleeping Spaces

Amigo22

Super Moderator
In Grandma Sues, Malcolm says there are eight people in the house and only seven sleeping spaces, when there are 2 bedrooms and 3 beds (2 double, 1 single), which is only 5 spaces. Which raises the question of where the boys would have slept when the grandparents visited in Season 2. Unless the couch folds out, where would the other two sleeping spaces be?

AlexTheMartian

the floor? lol. well they could possibly have a couch that fold out as a bed. altough one of them could just sleep on the couch as it is. i found some couches can possibly be more comfortable then certain beds :p

they have 2 or 3 couches i think. one in the living room, and another in some sort of den or additional living room. look at the house's floorplan which was posted long ago at http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=15435&postcount=35

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1693

Hm, I never thought of that...

You see, I'm not a very technical person when it comes to shows/movies, but I'd like to be.

(MY 50TH POST! :3)

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Congratulations on your 50th post Lucky Maroon :)

Alex - yeah I have a copy of the floorplan. They have 2. I just remembered in Christmas Francis asked Grandma Ida if her couch folded out, so I guess that means the Wilkersons' do.

rzombie1988

Malcolm had to sleep in a tent outside before, so that could have been another possible space. The car may have also been another option.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Yeah, I reckon. At least he would have had a proper bed to sleep in and he wouldn't have missed out on any meals.

Alle

We don't know how long his grandmother was visiting, so Malcolm can't just sleep at the Kenarban's house for every night until she leaves.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It was implied that it was more than just a weekend in the episode. It's a very good question. I would clarify that one of the rooms has the TV in it with the couch that the boys always sit in in their underpants and the other living room has the fireplace in it with the slightly-better-looking couch that is most commonly seen when we're looking at the shelves that hold books, momentos, and the stereo.

Hal and Lois' bed=2
Reese and Dewey's bed=2
Malcom's bed=2
2 couches=2

Interesting, though that's 8 sleeping spaces, now isn't it.

AlexTheMartian

Their house is larger then my parents' :) and I move back home next year!

I can feel the pressure they must feel when someone stays over, lol.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Huh? Malcolm and Dewey shared the double, Reese's was a single. Other than that, yeah that works.

Edit: Oh, wait. Not when Francis was still living at home :confused:

Last edited:

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Their house is larger then my parents' :) and I move back home next year!

I can feel the pressure they must feel when someone stays over, lol.

I know what you mean - when I was young my family spent a few Christmases at my grandparents' house along with my cousins - 12 people total, only 3 bedrooms, and the 6 of us grandkids had to all share a bedroom. Fun... not :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1693

I couldn't imagine how that felt, Amigo. Jeez!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Yeah, you're right I forgot Malcolm and Dewey had the double. It's really not that small of a house for as poor as they are.

PBUNDY

Maybe when he lived at home Dewey was still in a crib or something? :confused1: I don't know. I always thought it was really sad that Malcolm and Dewey had to share a bed. What high school kid wants to share his bed with his younger brother?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Yeah, and Dewey didn't like sharing the bed with Malcolm either. It would definitely suck. Although so would all 3 of them having to share a room for as long as they did.

MalcolmFun

Hal and Lois' bed=2
Reese and Dewey's bed=2
Malcom's bed=2
2 couches=2

Interesting, though that's 8 sleeping spaces, now isn't it.

I think it was shown that Ida took Hal and Lois room so everyone else shuffled around. I envision:
Ida in 1 bed
Lois and Hal in Malcolm bed
Reese in his own bed, its only a twin
Dewey on 1 couch
Piama on 1 couch with Francis in the TV recliner

PBUNDY Maybe when he lived at home Dewey was still in a crib or something? I don't know. I always thought it was really sad that Malcolm and Dewey had to share a bed. What high school kid wants to share his bed with his younger brother?
I actually have cousins who were in almost this situation in which the house is wierd that it is pretty big and yet not enough bedrooms. The result was half the time they didnt sleep in thier bedroom, just on a couch or whatever. I guess Lois is kinda strict to allow that though and they were territorial about it. Malcom told Dewey not to sleep on his side even if he wasnt there.

Plus did you guys actually notice in the episode where they get the new bed how gross the old one looked? The prop department paid attention to detail. I sure wouldn't want to lay on that thing!

Where did Francis sleep when he lived at home? I'm guessing he shared a bed with Reese.

When Jamie is born Malcolm and Reese say they can share a bed again. Reese would have got his own bed when Francis was shipped out. Malcolm may hate sharing with Dewey but it is probably still an upgrade from Reese!

Last edited: