Frankie Season 7 Stand-In Tells All

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Source: ashleighraine.com

August 6th, 2007

I don’t remember exactly which day this one happened on and unfortunately, I’m not somewhere that I can look it up. (I love modern technology and newfound mobility because of it!) However, when I do find it, I’ll move this to that date and all will be well. Until then, assume it’s late July or early August of 2004 or was it 2005? My Hollywood career is such a blur because I only get to work a day or two on tons of shows and it gets hard to keep a good mental timeline.
Newsflash: Jen just informed me that it was the first show of their last season. Episode 130. It aired September 30th, 2005. So, this must’ve taken place around July 30, 2005.
I was a stand-in on Malcolm in the Middle. It was the first episode of their last season. What tripped me out the most about this shoot was that I was standing in for Malcolm…yeah, Frankie Muniz. I couldn’t believe it, either.
It started off rather normal. I got to the location (this was the Burning Man episode and they were shooting pretty far out of town), got my voucher and headed to the set. The crew was awesome, introducing themselves to me, helping me along. They’d been doing the show forever and were already in tune with each other. I was playing catch-up. Plus, I’d only been a stand-in a few times prior. It’s a whole lot different than being an extra.
Of course, since I was standing in for the lead, I worked between every take. They’d set up the camera and show me where my mark was, do their lighting, get it all framed up and then I’d step out. Frankie stepped in, did the scene and we were on to the next. I got pretty good at being ahead of the game, but it was far from easy. I did receive a lot of coaching from the stand-in for the father. He was very helpful…very, very helpful and I hope I get to work with him again some day. I think he’d been on Malcolm since either the beginning or darn close to it and had been standing in for years before that, too.
I was on this show for two days. Both were hot, but also fun and I learned a lot.
I got to talking to Bobby Porter, the Stunt Coordinator on the show. He gave me his card after I told him about Driven to Distraction and how we might have a few questions about how specific stunts are done and even the ingredients for a typical Safety Meeting that is done before every stunt. I learned a lot of interesting stuff from him, too.
That’s mostly what this gig was about for me: learning.
At some point toward the end of the shoot, I found myself in a conversation with one of the guys in the Art Department. I don’t recall if he was a set decorator or just one of the set-up/take-down crew. It’s been too long to remember for sure what he did on the show, but the one thing he gave me was his email address because he’d taken a few action shots of me while I was standing in.
Since I was never on camera during the episode, all I have are these photographs of my time on Malcolm in the Middle.
MalcolmCamera400.jpg
MalcolmConcentration400.jpg
These next two are from the latter part of the shoot and they’re one of the things I love about Hollywood: any frame taken out of context gets kinda funny sometimes! Pardon me while I toot my own horn…​
MalcolmHorn400.jpg
The other girl with a horn was also a regular stand-in on the show. She was really nice and also helped me along.​
MalcolmHorns400.jpg
Okay, now for the big, crazy shot. This one’s my favorite because it really illustrates what goes on during filming. I even got to go for a ride several times on that whole contraption!​
MalcolmRickshaw400.jpg
Learning, learning, and more learning! All in a two day shoot on Malcolm in the Middle!​

Nice write up, nice to see crew and cast where so nice to a new person.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That's a real nice write-up indeed. Do you have the name of the person that wrote it?

Some of you that have been with the MITMVC for awhile now will recall that Bobby Porter,the stunt coordinator, visited us for awhile last year and answered some of our burning questions about MITM, so that was really cool.

Ryebeach

That's a real nice write-up indeed. Do you have the name of the person that wrote it?

Some of you that have been with the MITMVC for awhile now will recall that Bobby Porter,the stunt coordinator, visited us for awhile last year and answered some of our burning questions about MITM, so that was really cool.

The writer's first name is Lisa. I do not know her last name.

Yes, I remember Bobby visiting the forum and taking the time to provide us with some very cool answers to some longstanding questions many members had about the behind the scenes happenings on the show.

MalcolmFun

That is pretty interesting. What I don't understand is why she says she was standing in for Frankie when she is clearly a Trumpet Strumpet!