Stilts-why was it so special?

Murph

Why is the episode "Stilts" considered in such high regard? Is it just because of the few seconds of Malcolm/Reese/Dewey from Season One? I've watched the episode, and think of it as an okay episode, probably wouldn't even by in my top 10 of the season, though.

Ryebeach

To me, I find this episode special because prior to the series being renewed for a seventh and final season (and it was quite iffy there for awhile), this episode would have been the final episode of MITM that was filmed. While it wasn't aired as a season finale, it was the last episode produced in season 6. Linwood Boomer came back to direct this episode and it would have aired as a series finale, had the series not been picked up for another season.

Gouki

To me, I find this episode special because prior to the series being renewed for a seventh and final season (and it was quite iffy there for awhile), this episode would have been the final episode of MITM that was filmed. While it wasn't aired as a season finale, it was the last episode produced in season 6. Linwood Boomer came back to direct this episode and it would have aired as a series finale, had the series not been picked up for another season.

Oh, god, I would have hated this episode as a series finale. But then, I'm not really fond of this episode full-stop and am mystified by the love it receives.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Oh, god, I would have hated this episode as a series finale. But then, I'm not really fond of this episode full-stop and am mystified by the love it receives.

Agreed. This episode would have been bad for a series finale - but it was a good general episode. There just wasn't enough closure for it to be the end.

Gouki

Agreed. This episode would have been bad for a series finale - but it was a good general episode. There just wasn't enough closure for it to be the end.

My problem wouldn't have been lack of closure, I mean, I love the way Veronica Mars and Angel ended. Absolutely loved them. Perfect endings. It's just... it was thematically nothing special. Those two I mentioned may not have had the closure everyone (perhaps foolishly?) desired, but themetically many things came full circle or reiterated the original mission statements of the show.

You could see why it was the finale. Graduation did that. Stilts did nothing of the sort.